• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Hackers Describe PS3 Security As Epic Fail, Gain Unrestricted Access

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
[video=youtube;GPjd6gHY6A4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPjd6gHY6A4[/video]
Prominent hackers Bushing, Marcan, and Sven took the stage at this year's annual Chaos Communication Congress (27C3) to showcase their latest underground efforts on PS3. The trio describe Sony's security measures as an 'epic fail,' pointing to the botched implementation of ECDSA. Apparently, the so-called 'random' number used to create the private key is always static.

What does mean for you, the end-user? Well, it means that homebrew devs can essentially sign their own applications[...]

Continue reading: Hackers Describe PS3 Security As Epic Fail, Gain Unrestricted Access...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
considering the amount of time it took to actually hack the ps3 initially, i wouldn't label it as "epic fail", but if this does lead to being able to sign ps3 games, that would be quite amazing

Riorio99

This could end well for 'Brewers, but potentially not so well for online players or developers. If the PS3 ends up in the same place as the PSP, it'll be a massive shame.

Hellcat

Contributor
Hardly a problem.
They might might just fix it in an upcomming FW.

Of course it's dumb (well, it's Sony, who expected else) to do things like that, but they'll fix it.
"Nou, they can't, existing games need to be able to still run" some will now shout, but I say: "They'll just release patches to all games with the new encryption, so they WILL continue to run".

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
To be fair, they only started looking at the PS3 after Sony removed OtherOS. I think the sole reason it took so long to hack stems from a lack of interest. When OtherOS was still around, there wasn't nearly as much motivation.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
"Epic fail"? That's why it took 5 years to crack? Interest or lack thereof, doesn't matter. Sony can still brag they kept their console hack free for a long long time, more than most new consoles do.

On the other hand, this is good news and I can't wait to see what comes next.

WillyVWade

Hardly a problem.
They might might just fix it in an upcomming FW.

Of course it's dumb (well, it's Sony, who expected else) to do things like that, but they'll fix it.
"Nou, they can't, existing games need to be able to still run" some will now shout, but I say: "They'll just release patches to all games with the new encryption, so they WILL continue to run".

Other than being an absolute logistical nightmare, what about people that don't have their PS3 connected to the internet?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Hellcat

Contributor
Other than being an absolute logistical nightmare, what about people that don't have their PS3 connected to the internet?
Somehow I doubt Sony will care and/or think about them, but I see your point.

Also this only accounts for BD games once the PS3 has been updated to the new FW - if you don't have internet on your PS3 it's unlikely you'll apply the most recent update for quite some time, so at least those people are save for some time.... until they finally get screwed like the OtherOS - don't forget, it's Sony we're talking about.

B

Bizarre

This could end well for 'Brewers, but potentially not so well for online players or developers. If the PS3 ends up in the same place as the PSP, it'll be a massive shame.

I highly doubt this would happen, if you're talking about pirating, then probably not. Not many people will download 20GB+ games, I think this would be great for homebrew developers. I'm looking forward to the customization, theme wise anyways.

Seth

MD Party Room
I highly doubt this would happen, if you're talking about pirating, then probably not. Not many people will download 20GB+ games, I think this would be great for homebrew developers. I'm looking forward to the customization, theme wise anyways.

People download 10 gb bd rips, why not 20 gb game rips?

...Prominent hackers Bushing, Marcan, and Sven took the stage at this year's annual Chaos Communication Congress (27C3) to showcase their latest underground efforts on PS3. The trio describe Sony's security measures as an 'epic fail,' pointing to the botched implementation of ECDSA. Apparently, the so-called 'random' number used to create the private key is always static.

What does mean for you, the end-user? Well, it means that homebrew devs can essentially sign their own applications[...]

Continue reading: Hackers Describe PS3 Security As Epic Fail, Gain Unrestricted Access...

random_number.png

Monroe called it.

Robby

Los Doyers!

I would. I download a xbox game which is 7GB in 3 hours, so in about 8 hours I can have a PS3 game for free. You can start the download before you go to bed and it will be done when you wake up. 20GB is not that much if you have a decent download connection.