• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Have you played Palworld yet?

JourneyX

Hi,
I've been hearing a lot in the last couple days about this game and that it's even better than the Pokemon series at some points.
Is it worth buying it now or is it better to wait for a discount?

hello8963

Have not played it yet personally but from what I hear it looks like it will be the next fortnite in popularity.

JourneyX

Have not played it yet personally but from what I hear it looks like it will be the next fortnite in popularity.
Well Fortnite had a pretty big company behind it originally, I'm sure that without millions of dollars of marketing investment Palworld won't be as popular as Fortnite

Agentfufu

Didn't played it and don't want to do it , lots of backlogs to do and project to work on.

I think this is a nice lessons for indie game dev to learn from. but i do not think the game is revolutionary or anything. just that it got lucky and a bit of marketing.

drmunkee

My partner and I have been playing it almost every night for the past 5 or 6 days. We are having a great time. I recommend getting a friend or two to join you if you start to play.

The crafting mechanics are exactly as advertised - it's crafting. You get get wood. You get stone. You get other materials. And you build a base. Then you make stuff in that base to progress in the game. It all feels and plays how you would expect.

As a fan of clicker/idle games - being able to automate some of the tasks is part of the fun. I love coming back to base to find all of my ammo has been created (although the pals tend to wander off a lot, so it isn't perfect). Base management is just a fun mechanic to me.

My favorite part is the collecting aspect. I also enjoy that it is more fast paced due to it not being a turn based battle game. If the pals I'm trying to catch are a lower level than me, I tend to not even throw my own pal out to fight. When I run into a group of them, I will fight one and try to catch it. While it is going through the "catch animation", I will start fighting another. When I get into a grove, I'll often have 2 or 3 pals going through the catching animation at once. If they all succeed it is a great hit of dopamine. That's when I'm having the most fun.

One final note: I'm playing on a Series X, my girlfriend is on a Series S. The game crashes on my system every other hour or so. It could be because I'm "hosting" the game, but she has never had a crash.

One more final note: I turned off the death penalty. It makes it a lot more enjoyable for those who aren't into the losing your items mechanic. Plus it makes it much more bearable if you run into one of the many fatal glitches (clipping into the geometry, anyone?). There are also other difficulty options to play around with, but I didn't want to make it TOO easy. I could see that getting pretty boring.

JourneyX

My partner and I have been playing it almost every night for the past 5 or 6 days. We are having a great time. I recommend getting a friend or two to join you if you start to play.

The crafting mechanics are exactly as advertised - it's crafting. You get get wood. You get stone. You get other materials. And you build a base. Then you make stuff in that base to progress in the game. It all feels and plays how you would expect.

As a fan of clicker/idle games - being able to automate some of the tasks is part of the fun. I love coming back to base to find all of my ammo has been created (although the pals tend to wander off a lot, so it isn't perfect). Base management is just a fun mechanic to me.

My favorite part is the collecting aspect. I also enjoy that it is more fast paced due to it not being a turn based battle game. If the pals I'm trying to catch are a lower level than me, I tend to not even throw my own pal out to fight. When I run into a group of them, I will fight one and try to catch it. While it is going through the "catch animation", I will start fighting another. When I get into a grove, I'll often have 2 or 3 pals going through the catching animation at once. If they all succeed it is a great hit of dopamine. That's when I'm having the most fun.

One final note: I'm playing on a Series X, my girlfriend is on a Series S. The game crashes on my system every other hour or so. It could be because I'm "hosting" the game, but she has never had a crash.

One more final note: I turned off the death penalty. It makes it a lot more enjoyable for those who aren't into the losing your items mechanic. Plus it makes it much more bearable if you run into one of the many fatal glitches (clipping into the geometry, anyone?). There are also other difficulty options to play around with, but I didn't want to make it TOO easy. I could see that getting pretty boring.
Thank you very much for the detailed review. I've already watched enough reviews and streams and I think I'm ready to buy the game without waiting for the discount especially since there are rumors that Nintendo may sue Pocket Pair, Inc. so I want to get the game before it's probably blocked in Steam for the duration of the lawsuit.

JourneyX

I also wanted to ask about the game crashing. I was also planning to play in co-op, but I don't know if this problem is relevant for the Steam version of the game. Have you tried making your girlfriend the host?