• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

'Hello World!' to Palm Pre

Seth

MD Party Room
My first application works!! I'm so excited! It's just a pretty "hello world" application with a few simple command tests - but hey - it's a working application on the pre!

Here are the steps I took:
* Enable dev mode, log in as root
* Remount the / partition for read write with the command:
mount -n -o remount,rw /
* Started by picking an application I didn't care much about - i choose the nascar app.
* Found that application's directory: /usr/palm/applications/com.handson.app.nascar/
* remove the imports for stuff I didn't need/want
* created a new home view that displays my app
* Added controller / additional code as needed (for me just a couple functions, mostly copied from other apps)
* Saved all the changes. I edited the files on the device with vi.
* Rebooted my phone
* started the application by clicking on the existing application icon.
* Sat back and smiled as my simple application worked.

The api in the js really seems pretty nice. Palm did a good job. Honestly, this is much cleaner than when I was going through the earlier palm os stuff for my i500 / i330 apps.

_Scott

OK ROM comes - Page 15 - PreCentral Forums

This is great. Cant wait to pick up my new phone and put this on my phone

Seth

MD Party Room
What not to get?

Multitasking capabilities and notifications system are unparalleled.
The Display is sharper than the g1 and the Iphone.
Real 3g and faster internet.
The nice Card thing.
Real Keyboard
Contact from facebook and gmail. Auto updates email and Phone # and Im
All your Im and SMS are in one app.
Feel nice in your and not to big.
THings like sprint tv are kinda nice things at work.
Muti Touch screen.
Also sprint service is top notch and quite cheap over here. Dont know about you guys.

Joey

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the hype surrounding this phone?

It's Palm's debut of WebOS.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM EST ----------

Anyone want to go over why lots of cell phone service companies are soo bad in the US?

Att appears to be the only one with a decent mix between phone selection, and service.

T-Mobile is the worst, by the way. Terrible phones, and terrible service. I bought a G1, and I haven't found a single place that picks up a 3G signal.

Mr.B

:p if i had the money i would love to have a palm pre its been what ive been hyped up about for the past few months :D sprint i pretty reliable where im at but att is exellent, but... palm pre is the phone i really want all i need is 200 big ones i also love the cards you dont hear about an iphone multi tasking plus ive seen some iphone vs palm pre somparisons and the iphone 3gs is a little faster in browsing than the pre but the pre dominates the phone 3g in web browsing.

ilyace

This phone looks ok, but the fact that Sprint carries it isn't the greatest turn-on :/

Also I lol when people try to call phones like these "iPhone killers".

Robby

Los Doyers!
Sprint is horrible.
I used there service for two years. Always had bad reception everywhere I went. Plus the phone selection was awful.
Definitely the worst phone service I have ever had next to T-mobile. I then switched to Verizon and went to AT&T for awhile but now I'm back at Verizon because my friends works there so he hooked me up.

But point is, I feel sorry for people that get this phone thinking its going to be good and dandy. Good luck, you may get a good phone but you will surely get horrible service.

Mr.B

Sprint is horrible.
I used there service for two years. Always had bad reception everywhere I went. Plus the phone selection was awful.
Definitely the worst phone service I have ever had next to T-mobile. I then switched to Verizon and went to AT&T for awhile but now I'm back at Verizon because my friends works there so he hooked me up.

But point is, I feel sorry for people that get this phone thinking its going to be good and dandy. Good luck, you may get a good phone but you will surely get horrible service.

well where im at verizon is very good att is good where my school is but horrible where i live and sprint is good everywhere that i go, even out of state
but we all live in different places, eh?:p

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
It depends mostly on your location for instance I have Sprint, T-mobile, and Verizon. (Don't ask)

And on a scale from best to worst Verizon has the best reception, but they are CDMA and that's a major problem with me. And Sprint has the worst, and they are also CDMA so they have nothing going for them over here.

In short there is no perfect cell phone carrier.

Bill

I'd never understood why people hated Sprint so much. It really must depend on location, because I rarely have less than five bars and never have less than three.

Seth

MD Party Room
It depends mostly on your location for instance I have Sprint, T-mobile, and Verizon. (Don't ask)

And on a scale from best to worst Verizon has the best reception, but they are CDMA and that's a major problem with me. And Sprint has the worst, and they are also CDMA so they have nothing going for them over here.

In short there is no perfect company cell phone carrier.

you do know sprint and verizon share towers..........

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
AT&T has blown for the longest time, though when they bought out Cingular they seen to have gotten half-decent. I get reception pretty much wherever I go, except in my school, but that's totally excusable because my school is pretty much a solid block of concrete and metal(It doubles as a tornado shelter).

Anyhow, I think Verizon and AT&T are probably the best. Just depends on the area. West coast seems to be AT&T's forte, while Verizon seems to like the east coast.

That's just the USA.

Mr.B

u guys hear about the huge price cut accident? unbelieveable.. i wish i had known about this ive been wanting this phone forever but im short on cash i wouldve jumped on this opportunity:D

Seth

MD Party Room
No link?