• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How to convert PSone games to PSP EBOOTs

Krelian

This guide assumes you are using Open Edition firmware 3.02OE-A or higher.
If you are currently using Sony firmware 3.10 or higher this guide does not apply to you, please see the PSP 3.10+ Firmware Problems thread for more information.

This guide uses the following software:
IsoBuster (FREE)
PSX2PSP v.1.2 - PopStation GUI

Before we can begin you must install IsoBuster and PSX2PSP.
The first time you launch IsoBuster it will prompt you to register. I recommend using the "Free funct. only" since it provides the reliable ISO ripping you need (however because it is a very good utility if you decide to purchase and register a copy more power to you).
The first time you launch PSX2PSP it will prompt you to select a mode. I recommend using Theme Mode as it allows you to preview the results of your custom EBOOT menu.

To begin converting PSone games to PSP you must first extract the ISO to your PC.
Insert the CD of your PSX game into your PC. In IsoBuster you will see the the session(s), track(s) and file-systems of your disc.
Right-click the CD listing at the top of the tree on the left and choose Extract CD < Image > RAW (*.bin, *.iso). It will ask where to save the BIN and after the extraction where to save the CUE.
For the BIN file to work with PSX2PSP you must add .iso to the end of the generic BIN file that IsoBuster created.
In Theme Mode of PSX2PSP open the Convert Menu. Under ISO/PBP File navigate to where you saved your ISO. PSX2PSP should automatically fill in the Game and Save titles and IDs.
(NOTE: If you are converting a multi-disc game make sure you use the same Save ID on each discs EBOOT.)
Under Output PBP folder navigate to where you want your EBOOT.PBP to be saved after conversion.
From here if you do not wish to customize the EBOOT.PBP menu you can click the Convert button and your playable EBOOT will be created.
If you do wish to customize your menu open the Customize PBP Menu.
Here you can choose which graphics are used for the icon and menu, more specific information will be added for this later.
After you have chosen the graphics you wish to use for your converted PSone game close the Customize PBP Menu and hit the Convert button on the Convert Menu.
Now copy your completed game folder to your PSP memory stick under X:\PSP\Game\
You are now able to play your favorite PSone game on your PSP!

NOTES:
Not every game plays with 100% accuracy, tweaks and PopStation improvements are always forthcoming.
This tutorial is a rough draft and will be improved upon at a later time, likely with pictures and a troubleshooting list.

REFERENCES:
PSX to PSP guide? Help?
First Post be gentle - ISO and OE3.4 Questions
3.4OE-A - Install Complete, Still Have Questions

RESOURCES:
PopStation ImagePacks - A database of graphics for customizing your EBOOT.PBP menu.
PSXPSP Manuals - A forum containing several DOCUMENT.DATs that can be placed in the same \PSP\Game\ directory as your EBOOT to view the Software Manual while in game.

chemist

Staff infection
Thanks this guide led me to make my very first working psxpsp eboot!

Krelian

As always.

I need to set some time aside to add pictures and a few more details but I'm glad it was able to help you!

Pantysniffer

Nice one Krelian. Now if only I could find my old copy of Final Fantasy VIII...
By the way, IsoBuster is a great app., but MagicIso has worked well for me in the past too.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Not at all, Nimrod, you have to set the EBOOT.PBP and the DOCUMENT.DAT into it's own folder, like for instance GAME/Final Fantasy IX would contain the Eboot and the DAT for FF9. I, right now, have 7 on my memstick, I believe. (Document.dat isn't necessary, but I use it.)

MCP

I've just searched manually and found the latest version of popstation was given out in 3.03 OE-c correct?

I created an EBOOT using 3.03 OE and then since it doesn't work completely I wanted to try the OE-c version of popstation. However the memory card does not show any saves when I copied the saved data over from the older EBOOT folder to the OE-c version. Is there a way to use the saves from the older version in the newer version?

Running 3.40-EOa

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Your saves have to be converted. Make a backup of all of them on your computer in case you go back down to a lower firmware. Then the first time you play a playstation game it will ask you if you want to convert your save. accept it and you should have all your saves back but you cant use them witha lower firmware k.

alainalemany

Darkside viewer.
Is the guide compatible with 3.51M33? And i heard that the save format is changed in 3.40, can someone give me the details?

Thanks!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Is the guide compatible with 3.51M33? And i heard that the save format is changed in 3.40, can someone give me the details?

Thanks!

Yeah it is compatible with 3.51 M33.

About the save format... when you run a PSone game on 3.40 or 3.51 for the first time, it will simply ask you to covert all your save files. Once you do this, the save files will be unusable in any firmware lower than 3.40.

So, if you are ever planning to return back to 3.30 OE for example, it is a good idea to back-up your saves.

supaquickt

Just converted a ps1 game with this guide, but I get an Out of memory error when trying to start a match. The game is shane warne cricket 99. Is not every game compatible?

Cheezeball99

Just converted a ps1 game with this guide, but I get an Out of memory error when trying to start a match. The game is shane warne cricket 99. Is not every game compatible?

Yeah, I'd say approximately 95% of games ARE compatible; some, however, are not. That's probably one of them. It also has some odd problems with PAL games sometimes.

supaquickt

Is there a compatibility list somewhere? Might save me a bit of time converting my old games. Although their all PAL not NTSC. Thanks.

Cheezeball99

Is there a compatibility list somewhere? Might save me a bit of time converting my old games. Although their all PAL not NTSC. Thanks.

We used to have one around here, I'll check... Although, honestly, like I say, 95% of your games should work, seriously- I haven't personally had a game not work since 3.30OE-A, and I constantly cycle through different Popstation games.:thumbup1:

EDIT: HERE is the compatibility list.

Rugster

Thanks for the exellent guide works like a charm, even for a Noob like me :) I'm now able to play my old PSX games that havent seen the light of day for years!

Question- Do you need to keep the .CUE file or can it be safely deleted?

Thanks.

Cheezeball99

Question- Do you need to keep the .CUE file or can it be safely deleted?

It can be deleted, there is no need for it. Have fun!