• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

I want to start programming PSP homebrew

Sliderkk

I have decided to adopt programming as a past-time, a long time ago. When I try to learn a programming language I get board because there isn't anything that I would really want to program for the computer, But I came up with a few ideas on what kind of programs that I could make on the PSP. I'm not totally new I've read the introductions to BASIC, C++ and HTML (and I know that HTML is not the right kind of programming language). I know how a programming environment works. I have even written Hello World apps for the PC.

I know that there are some well-known developers that hang around MFM and I was wondering if anyone who develops for the PSP could give me a push in the right direction; what language to learn, what tools to download .etc.

Hellcat

Contributor
First off: welcome aboard then :)

About the language, that would be C/C++. There is LUA as well, but if you wanna do serious stuff, not just a bit testing here, a bit tinkering there, then stay away from LUA.

As for a development environment, there is the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org.
Installation got pretty straight forward during the time, you checkout the current revision from ps2dev's SVN repository, run the toolchain installer script and after a few hours it will abort with some shiney error messages, but usually it got far enough to have the SDK (the toolchain) itself installed and only a few optional components failed to build (the gdb debugger and psplink, when I installed another one yesterday, for example - psplink usually always fails *lol*)

Once that step is taken you can already take a look at the samples provided with the SDK and/or compile some of them and start tinkering.

Sliderkk

Oh wow, thanks for the link to the toolchain. I guess whats left for me to learn is C/C++. I can get started as soon as I finish my exams and not long after, I will get my own PC to work with (given that my exam results are decent).