• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Idea: Manual (Green) & Platinum Completion Markers

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Alright, so after Progress Bars for Non-Tracked Games was implemented another idea occurred to me. I've seen a lot of people ask for a way to mark games as "played" or "completed" even though they haven't got every achievement or trophy. Perhaps the most common reason being that they've played through the main story/campaign and want a visual indicator of that in their games list.

When you unlock all of the achievements in a game, the game gets a gold star, icon border and progress bar. This is great for distinguishing it from incomplete games. We don't want to be able to just slap gold on incomplete games as that would take away from the 100% achievement games and just be generally confusing. Here's an easy solution then: make the star and border green to match the incomplete progress bar. All it would require is a check box in the Edit Game menu.

Then I thought of something else. Similarly people also complain when they've got the platinum trophy in a PlayStation game and some new DLC with a bunch more trophies comes along and they "lose" that completion. Well that's even easier, if you have a platinum trophy in a game but don't have 100% of the trophies, the site could automatically change the star, border and progress bar to platinum. You can already see the little platinum trophy icon if you look closely for it, but this would be a far more distinct indicator to show which games you've got the platinum trophy for even if you don't have all of the trophies.

In both cases, gold still reigns supreme and clearly indicates 100% complete games.

Here's a before-and-after mock-up:

1.png
2.png

Not a flawless mock-up, but you get the idea.

I didn't photoshop in the little gamepads with checkmarks that you can hover over for the completion dates, but they could also be included. For platinum completion the site could automatically pull the trophy unlock date for that. For, uhh, green completion it would be nice to have the option to include a date, but not a requirement.

There are probably a few little details to work out, but that's the general idea, thoughts?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
@x3sphere Hey I tested out that Switch logo SVG I posted in the other thread to see how it would look and it looks pretty nice - though I've noticed those icons aren't quite aligned properly which stands out more with the Switch icon, don't know if that could be fixed? Not super important though.

SVG file found here - the "White Symbol" one.
Colour code for the platform tag: #e60012 "Nintendo Switch Red (Main)" according to this site.

3.png

^ I also tidied my mock-up a bit. Figured out how to change the colour of the progress bars and icon borders within Google Chrome itself rather than faking it in photoshop. Also for "platinum completion" I changed the star icon to the platinum trophy icon. I suppose the green star could be a tick/checkmark or something if you want to differentiate it more from the gold star.

I think it all looks pretty snazzy if I do say so myself 😄👍

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
@x3sphere Hey I tested out that Switch logo SVG I posted in the other thread to see how it would look and it looks pretty nice - though I've noticed those icons aren't quite aligned properly which stands out more with the Switch icon, don't know if that could be fixed? Not super important though.

Colour code for the platform tag: #e60012 "Nintendo Switch Red (Main)" according to this site.

View attachment 11786

^ I also tidied my mock-up a bit. Figured out how to change the colour of the progress bars and icon borders within Google Chrome itself rather than faking it in photoshop. Also for "platinum completion" I changed the star icon to the platinum trophy icon. I suppose the green star could be a tick/checkmark or something if you want to differentiate it more from the gold star.

Looks good :) I’ll add the Switch badge soon likely in the next few days. As for the other completion markers I’ll wait for some other staff members to weigh in on that. In general I like the idea but I wonder if it makes the 100% completions stand out a bit less. What do you think about not having the colored border for these but rather a green/white gamepad with the check for non-100% games? And a purple gamepad for platinums.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Looks good :) I’ll add the Switch badge soon likely in the next few days. As for the other completion markers I’ll wait for some other staff members to weigh in on that. In general I like the idea but I wonder if it makes the 100% completions stand out a bit less. What do you think about not having the colored border for these but rather a green/white gamepad with the check for non-100% games? And a purple gamepad for platinums.
Oh really? I figured the colour difference would be enough. The little gamepads would be fine on their own but I'm quite keen on the borders personally.

Well platinum completions would probably be relatively few and far between to begin with and the difference between the platinum and gold colouring is pretty stark so I don't see the harm in adding that. What if the green borders only show up in your own game list rather than globally? That way you could use it for your own purposes if you want to and nobody else would have to see it.

That or just make the green and platinum borders an optional visual preference while the gamepads remain visible regardless?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Oh really? I figured the colour difference would be enough. The little gamepads would be fine on their own but I'm quite keen on the borders personally.

Well platinum completions would probably be relatively few and far between to begin with and the difference between the platinum and gold colouring is pretty stark so I don't see the harm in adding that. What if the green borders only show up in your own game list rather than globally? That way you could use it for your own purposes if you want to and nobody else would have to see it.

That or just make the green and platinum borders an optional visual preference while the gamepads remain visible regardless?

It could be made an option yeah.

I think it's just the green borders that I'm not sure about. Might get confused with the 100% completions at first glance, especially if someone is new to the site. With the purple yes it's obvious it's for the platinum.

Last edited:

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
It could be made an option yeah.

I think it's just the green borders that I'm not sure about. Might get confused with the 100% completions at first glance, especially if someone is new to the site. With the purple yes it's obvious it's for the platinum.
Yeah I get what you're saying. Perhaps more reason to keep the green markers visible only to yourself on your own list.

That probably just makes sense anyway given the arbitrary nature of deciding when you've "completed" a game regardless of achievement count - it might make perfect sense to you according to your own completion parameters but it might mean nothing to someone else viewing your profile, while the platinum and 100% gold markers make sense globally.

It also just occurred to me that the platinum markers could potentially be used for games on other platforms. Earning the platinum on a PlayStation game essentially means you've earned the original trophy set before additional trophies/DLC was added right? Achievements for other games are grouped together as the base set and update/DLC sets on the individual game pages. Maybe you could have the site "platinum" a game automatically when you unlock every achievement in the base set for a game?

That's something that could be added later on of course, but it would be cool to add the "platinum" functionality to potentially any tracked game rather than just PlayStation games.

Gamer Steve

View attachment 11786

Sorry foe the dumb question but what is with the switch logo and the achievements for smash?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Sorry foe the dumb question but what is with the switch logo and the achievements for smash?
See this thread: Progress Bars for Non-Tracked Games
That feature was added recently, specifically Smash Ultimate has it's own "Challenges" section in the game that are basically in-game achievements, so I used the custom progress bar feature to track my Smash completion on exophase.

As for the Switch logo that's just a logo I found that x3sphere can add to the site when he finds the time, just to make it look nice.

Gamer Steve

See this thread: Progress Bars for Non-Tracked Games
That feature was added recently, specifically Smash Ultimate has it's own "Challenges" section in the game that are basically in-game achievements, so I used the custom progress bar feature to track my Smash completion on exophase.

As for the Switch logo that's just a logo I found that x3sphere can add to the site when he finds the time, just to make it look nice.
I love this idea and look forward to it....is it possible for smash to be tracked now or is that something that you are working on?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I love this idea and look forward to it....is it possible for smash to be tracked now or is that something that you are working on?
Just to be clear it's not any kind of automated tracking, it's manual progression tracking you input yourself. You can do it right now, you simply add a game to your profile and hover over the game's icon in your game list, click on the edit button and punch in the numbers yourself. You can decide what the completion parameters are for each game (lots of games simply use 0%-100%) it just made the most sense to me to use the challenges within Smash Ultimate for that particular game. Looks like you have a bunch of non-tracked games on your profile, you should give it a try.

Of course you do have to edit the info in yourself whenever you feel like updating it, but it's a great way to keep track of your progress in any game you want. It even works for Steam games and any other game that doesn't already have tracked achievements.

Gamer Steve

Just to be clear it's not any kind of automated tracking, it's manual progression tracking you input yourself. You can do it right now, you simply add a game to your profile and hover over the game's icon in your game list, click on the edit button and punch in the numbers yourself. You can decide what the completion parameters are for each game (lots of games simply use 0%-100%) it just made the most sense to me to use the challenges within Smash Ultimate for that particular game. Looks like you have a bunch of non-tracked games on your profile, you should give it a try.

Of course you do have to edit the info in yourself whenever you feel like updating it, but it's a great way to keep track of your progress in any game you want. It even works for Steam games and any other game that doesn't already have tracked achievements.
Sounds great i look forward to it..so i was curious if you add a manual game does it get added to your overall game numbers? So for example i have over 6000ish games tracked on my exophase profile.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Sounds great i look forward to it..so i was curious if you add a manual game does it get added to your overall game numbers? So for example i have over 6000ish games tracked on my exophase profile.
I just checked and it looks like it doesn't at the moment (unless it takes a while to update) I do know that if you change the hours played on a game from a tracked service, that updates the total hours on your profile, but it doesn't for a manually-added game, which has always seemed weird to me and I've brought it up before so that might change at some point.

x3sphere has said before that he could have the manually-added games contribute to the totals. If the stats are changed to include the manually-added/non-tracked games it might be a good idea to differentiate that stuff from the tracked games somehow. Maybe putting the non-tracked amounts in brackets next to the totals or something. I think about the manually-added stuff a lot so if I come up with a good solution I'll likely suggest it in one of these threads.

Anyway, for now just consider the non-tracked games a nice bonus you can see in your list for your own satisfaction, that's what it's there for more than anything else. It sounds silly but now that I can have those games listed with progress bars alongside my tracked games I've felt more free to play any game I want, any way I want, which is nice. It's also fun going through my old games on different consoles and handhelds and seeing what kind of completion tracking they have. Just booted up SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny on PSP and it has a full set of 50 in-game achievements, awesome. I hope you have fun with it.

Gamer Steve

I just checked and it looks like it doesn't at the moment (unless it takes a while to update) I do know that if you change the hours played on a game from a tracked service, that updates the total hours on your profile, but it doesn't for a manually-added game, which has always seemed weird to me and I've brought it up before so that might change at some point.

x3sphere has said before that he could have the manually-added games contribute to the totals. If the stats are changed to include the manually-added/non-tracked games it might be a good idea to differentiate that stuff from the tracked games somehow. Maybe putting the non-tracked amounts in brackets next to the totals or something. I think about the manually-added stuff a lot so if I come up with a good solution I'll likely suggest it in one of these threads.

Anyway, for now just consider the non-tracked games a nice bonus you can see in your list for your own satisfaction, that's what it's there for more than anything else. It sounds silly but now that I can have those games listed with progress bars alongside my tracked games I've felt more free to play any game I want, any way I want, which is nice. It's also fun going through my old games on different consoles and handhelds and seeing what kind of completion tracking they have. Just booted up SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny on PSP and it has a full set of 50 in-game achievements, awesome. I hope you have fun with it.
Yea for sure if the older games are not on retro it does seem nice to make put own challenges. I kno people out there hate achievements but i always feel like they add more to a game or replay value. Something to work towards...sadly i barely give my switch any love because it has no achievements but with this added it def makes me want to play it more.

Gamer Steve

Also it would be cool to add another bracket to our profile maybe named manual to track our achievement totals or the manually added games ( not to be added to our total achievements but to see a profile section added so if we wanted to just see the manual games we could without searching....like you would if u went to the psn or xbox or steam tabs)

Gamer Steve

Another question sorry 😅 say we do our own progression for example for a game that has no achievements...like on steam....and then the game gets updated and adds achievements....would that just overwrite the challenges we created for the game?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Also it would be cool to add another bracket to our profile maybe named manual to track our achievement totals or the manually added games ( not to be added to our total achievements but to see a profile section added so if we wanted to just see the manual games we could without searching....like you would if u went to the psn or xbox or steam tabs)
I suppose that might make some sense, I have seen people ask for a separate section for manually added games with the ability to filter it by platform, so that may be a good way to keep some of the stat totals for manual stuff separate. Although I don't know if games from tracked services with manual progress bars could appear in that group too.

^ @x3sphere might be worth your consideration boss. "Legacy" might be a good name for it.

Last edited:

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Another question sorry 😅 say we do our own progression for example for a game that has no achievements...like on steam....and then the game gets updated and adds achievements....would that just overwrite the challenges we created for the game?
I'm not sure but I assume the manually input progression would just disappear in that case. @x3sphere ?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor