• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone 3.0 Update fixes 46 vulnerabilities

Vee

Yeah, i've always been worried about the security on my iPhone. Its hooked up to my iTunes account. So surely any 3rd party software could get the details?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Hardrive

Contributor
It's a bad thing. They're making you pay for fixes that should be given to you for free. It's like paying a business owner being forced to pay a "protection fee" to the local gang.

Moose

Meta Moose
And anyone who chooses not to pay for the upgrade is stuck with 46 vulnerabilities on their phone.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
And anyone who chooses not to pay for the upgrade is stuck with 46 vulnerabilities on their phone.

wait i'm confused. 3.0 was a free upgrade for iPhone customers. But iPod touch people had to pay for it. So how are iPhone users paying for the upgrade?

Robby

Los Doyers!
You can easily get it for free though on the internet. But the thought of paying for the upgrade sucks. But I heard they have to under some Act or law.

Vee

They do it to make some kind of difference between the iTouch and iPhone and also to emphasise its superiority.

Similar to how they put Street View on Maps, but on purposly didnt put it on the iTouch version. Its just all clever PR to make you part with your cash.

The update, as someone mentioned above, is free to download. All you have to do it is Google it. I'm holding out till its jailbroken.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
They do it to make some kind of difference between the iTouch and iPhone and also to emphasise its superiority.

Similar to how they put Street View on Maps, but on purposly didnt put it on the iTouch version. Its just all clever PR to make you part with your cash.

The update, as someone mentioned above, is free to download. All you have to do it is Google it. I'm holding out till its jailbroken.

You can activate street view on the touch, but u have to jailbreak
and +1 on it being free to download.. You can get it straight from apples servers for free. and that's not illegal either.. I think

Cryox

Bro.
You can easily get it for free though on the internet. But the thought of paying for the upgrade sucks. But I heard they have to under some Act or law.

what? I doubt there is an act or law stating that you have to charge for an update. Although i could believe it if it was somewhere in a contract between Att and Apple. (free updates to iphone, payed to itouch, or for the sheltered individual, the ipod touch)

It's not surpirising, embedded devices don't really have security as a major thing to keep in mind. There's more of a focus on performance. Take MobileSafari, only after the 3.0 update, it tells you if the website is secure (like any desktp browser).

Also what's all this complaining about the $10 upgrade for iPod Touch users? Apple has no obligation to continue to update and provide new software for your device, espescially if it's a one-off purchase like the iPod Touch. And @futuregator, it IS illegal to download the 3.0 update off apple servers using those google links. Your'e acquiring the software without paying for it.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
@futuregator, it IS illegal to download the 3.0 update off apple servers using those google links. Your'e acquiring the software without paying for it.

Do they have a way of tracking the downloads and knowing who is downloading illegally?

Do they have a way of tracking the downloads and knowing who is downloading illegally?

Considering links are available, i'd assume it's a mistake on thier part, so they would most likely pull the links as opposed to track down IPs. I would've thought the ipsw's would be DRM-locked like IPA using FairPlay, so dl'ing the ipsw wouldn't work.

Vee

Considering links are available, i'd assume it's a mistake on thier part, so they would most likely pull the links as opposed to track down IPs. I would've thought the ipsw's would be DRM-locked like IPA using FairPlay, so dl'ing the ipsw wouldn't work.

This whole apple server links for firmwares, has been going on since the dawn of the iPhone. Either they haven't realised, or they just plain dont care.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
This whole apple server links for firmwares, has been going on since the dawn of the iPhone. Either they haven't realised, or they just plain dont care.

I don't think they really care.

Supposedly, they're forced to charge for the update by law and I really don't think that they actually care for the $10 they get from the 5 people who are actually going to get it legally.