• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Is the PSP Making a Comeback?

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Taking a look at the lineup of games coming up for the PSP (Rock Band, LBP, Assassin's Creed, Jak and Daxter, etc), it appears that Sony has third party developers excited again about the system. It's most likely because of the new PSP-4000 or PSP2 coming around this fall/winter. With that said, do you think the new PSP2/PSP-4000 could revive the pretty much dead PSP community?

Joey

There's nothing wrong with the brand, they just need to make a new system. At least 32 GB's of internal memory, get rid of the stupid UMD drive, and either add a second nub, or keep the current control set-up, and make the screen a touch screen. Make it resistive too, so that we can use a stylus. Capacitive sucks, because you have to use your finger, and you can't see the fucking screen.

But yeah, I'd buy dat fo a dollah.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
There's nothing wrong with the brand, they just need to make a new system. At least 32 GB's of internal memory, get rid of the stupid UMD drive, and either add a second nub, or keep the current control set-up, and make the screen a touch screen. Make it resistive too, so that we can use a stylus. Capacitive sucks, because you have to use your finger, and you can't see the fucking screen.

But yeah, I'd buy dat fo a dollah.

you know there are special stylus' for capacitive screens, right ?

LocutusEstBorg

Somehow I subconsciously feel like non-homebrew people don't belong to the PSP 'community'. If a PSP2 is actually released then I strongly feel that it will be more or less fully secured like the PS3 and there will be no more homebrew--ever.

If its the PSP-4000 then its probably just a hardware rehash but uses the same CPU and architecture and is automatically vulnerable to existing exploits. If the new hardware is enticing enough and there is a real possibility of homebrew, it might stir up quite an interest.

In either case all the big titles coming out will definitely boost interest in the current PSPs.

Joey

Retract that statement ;) Sony should go resistive as it is more accurate, capacitive is expensive and not as accurate

Really? I wouldn't say my DS is more accurate than either my iPhone or G1. Resistive seems less responsive.

Cryox

Bro.
those games are going to come to the psp? that is pretty awesome.

btw, i saw an article somewhere on here earlier today that said that the concept image (slide w/ touch screen) was pretty real and that some of that stuff would really be there.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Really? I wouldn't say my DS is more accurate than either my iPhone or G1. Resistive seems less responsive.

The iPhone or G1 are not made to respond to a small stylus point, if you look at the styli made for them they are rather large at the end - meaning precise points cannot be registered. So things basically have to be relatively large, just take a look at a WinMo interface shot and then compare it to the iPhone - you can fit more functionality and varied functionality on WinMo because of the precise accuracy resistive screens have.

Also resistive screens have been improving greatly over the years. My HTC Touch Pro's screen is as sensitive as my iPod Touch and it can even be adjusted (sensitivity). Resistive screens are cheaper I believe and still provide a great experience (even with fingers) so I think it would be a good choice.

Sinfulfate

The only way the PSP can make a comeback imo if it starts getting a steady stream of quality/unique games that are made for the system like the DS gets. Developers need to stop with the water downed home console game spin offs. Who really wants to play LBP, Assassins Creed, or Rockband on their PSP?

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
... and make the screen a touch screen. Make it resistive too, so that we can use a stylus. Capacitive sucks, because you have to use your finger, and you can't see the fucking screen.

Please no more touch screens. If this is the route we are going in gaming than I'll have to stick to the older systems. Touch screens inspire too many casual games, and for the 'hardcore' games it makes controlling uncomfortable, unusual and not as responsive. Even with a stylus part of the screen gets block with is also annoying.

I miss good old buttons.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Please no more touch screens. If this is the route we are going in gaming than I'll have to stick to the older systems. Touch screens inspire too many casual games, and for the 'hardcore' games it makes controlling uncomfortable, unusual and not as responsive. Even with a stylus part of the screen gets block with is also annoying.

I miss good old buttons.

The touch screen will not be the main focus, it will just be another input for the system which is needed at this time in the industry. It took the industry a while to catch on, but people actually like the ability to interact with their displays (it's just got a nice feeling to it) and when the screen is over the controls how else are you supposed to control it (I'm really hoping PSP2 will have a sliding screen)

Joey

I miss good old buttons.

It's a touchscreen, in addition to the current PSP control set-up...

There's nothing wrong with creating more options. For example, the DS, which has both, and is awesome.

Cryox

Bro.
The touch screen will not be the main focus, it will just be another input for the system which is needed at this time in the industry. It took the industry a while to catch on, but people actually like the ability to interact with their displays (it's just got a nice feeling to it) and when the screen is over the controls how else are you supposed to control it (I'm really hoping PSP2 will have a sliding screen)

thats true. i mean, how good/cool would it feel to swipe your finger across the screen to navigate the xmb(if kept) and play/pause music and videos if the screen slides

Joey

I'd love for a version of Meteos to be made for a PSP2. HD quality visuals and sound, with touch screen capabilities (the way that game was meant to be played). Man, that'd be rad.

The ball is totally in Sony's court. Let's hope they don't drop it.

Cryox

Bro.
if the touchscreen psp does come, and it somehow becomes homebrew enabled, just think of some of the homebrew that people might make