• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is there any way to compress games?

zippythecellist

I just ripped a few games with iso buster, but I noticed the files were really big. Seriously. About 2-3 games take up a GB, and I sure as hell aint paying alot of money for an 8 GB memory card.

ANYWAY. xD Is there a way to compress ripped games? YES, I did search for it, but didn't find a guide or anything. :laugh:

rabbit

Awesome
Ripped PSP games? You can try using dummy files, though that will probably remove some functionality somewhere.

Recin

When you make the eboot, select full compression.

Depending if you select iso or bin as the initial source to compress from, you will have a larger or lesser result. I find iso files tend to compress a lot better, though for some reason, they tend not to work with my 3.90 M33 setup. :(

If anyone can confirm iso rips work on 4.01m33-2, I will be a very happy camper, and will upgrade my f/w.

Anyone?

zippythecellist

I'm not talking about PSP games, that shit is illegal. xD Anyway, I selected ISO as the initial source, and compression level was already on 9. Is there a different program I can use? (i'm already using PSX2PSP)

rabbit

Awesome
IIRC 9 has barely appreciable difference in size than 6 for a much higher time cost. Anyways, you can try dummy files with anything, really, though the dummies are game specific.

rabbit

Awesome
Dummy files are special files that you use to replace large things. Typically, dummy files replace all the movies in a game with nothingness. You'll lose all the movies, but you'll also save quite a bit of space.

Recin

Dummy files are special files that you use to replace large things. Typically, dummy files replace all the movies in a game with nothingness. You'll lose all the movies, but you'll also save quite a bit of space.

ooo, I never thought of blanking FMV's... That could help me out a bit, as I'm stuck with a 1gb stick for a few weeks. :sneaky2:

zippythecellist

Just got back from vacation, so don't yell at me for bumping this. xD

Anyway, I like the cutscenes in games, I don't want them removed. Is there another way to make the file size smaller?