• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Lighter CECH-3000 PS3 Model Incoming, Improves Power Efficiency

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps33000.jpg

Sony's ongoing effort to cut costs and increase the efficiency of PS3 hardware continues, it seems, as a Japanese retailer has reportedly been briefed that a*CECH-3000 PS3 model is due out soon. It incrementally improves on the PS3 Slim design spec by cutting power consumption from 230W to 200W. Storage space will remain at 320GB.

The system itself is also a tad lighter, we're told, weighing in at 2.6kg down from*3.0kg[...]

Continue reading: Lighter CECH-3000 PS3 Model Incoming, Improves Power Efficiency...

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I've read on other sites that the specs found on a Japanese Sony site has a tidbit that seems to point to full software based PS2 emulation coming down the pipe on this thing too. Don't believe it myself but I guess we'll see; like Slicer above I feel they would have mentioned something that big at E3.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If the said retro compat isn't available to all PS3 models, I'll never again buy a Sony product. They have been playing with their costumers long enough <.<

Alex

Ah, 3rd ps3 release and still no backward compatibility? This is why I love my 60GB ps3 ;D

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Major revision? This is anything but in my book. The main revision here is the reduced power consumption, something that Microsoft has been doing for some time with the Xbox 360 (reducing power consumption) and is something to be expected as the tech improves over the years

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah it's not a major revision at all.

Although I was in the market for a new PS3, I think I'll hold off a few months and see if this one starts popping up.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
The rumors I was hearing a week ago was PS2 compatible, and lower power consumption, but only the latter remains true. It's also lighter and has better Blu-ray playback(with BD Live), but it's still far from a major revision.

Also it has new Copyright protection security measures, so I'm now glad I bought my new Slim in case I want to mod it down the road

Hellcat

Contributor
Yeah, it'll also come with fixed security - until that's hacked too, but cat'n'mouse's next round it'll be.

Joey

Who the hell gives a shit about PS2 Backwards compatibility in 2011?

I guess this means Sony is going to open their PS2 download store on PSN.