• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Lineage 2 is gonna pwn your face!

DrLame

Ham Eater
Lineage 2 is gonna pwn your face! [Server Live!]

Hey all! Got some great stuff here...

I fired up a L2J (lineage 2) private server for us MfM junkies. It wont really be open to the public or otherwise advertised, mainly just used for MfM to get on and PVP and the like. L2 is a MMORPG that was released before WoW by NCSoft. It's still immensely graphically superior to WoW and has far better pvp gameplay in my opinion. Not only that, but we're gonna be bashing each other's heads in for free! The game is an awesome pvp fest, we'll be able to do team battles, siege castles (yeah, big ass castles with a main control point, gates to destroy and the like), and other craziness. One big thing to note is I'll be cutting out the RPG part of the game, getting everyone pretty well set up to be able to dominate each other with minimum hassle =)

You start off with a ton of cash, and there's npcs in the starter areas to warp you to Giran (our main town). In Giran there's NPCs to change your level and get any gear you might desire. There's a LOT to the game, I'll try to be around as much as possible to get people acquainted with it between battles.

Here's the link to the official client, that's pretty much all you need to get going:

FilePlanet: Lineage 2 - Hellbound Client or Here: Downloadable Client: Lineage II: The Chaotic Throne - Hellbound Client - Demo Movie Patch Download Section - GamersHell.com They're both the same client, and either works with the server.

<~EvilSeph> I really don't want to register for a fileplanet account just to play L2
<%A_Nub> EvilSeph: bugmenot.com
<http> [ http://bugmenot.com ]: Bugmenot.com - login with these free web passwords to bypass compulsory registration
win

A couple important things regarding the client...
First, the server is running the HellBound chronicle, which is a few major expansions into the game, but not the latest. That's the only client that will be able to connect to the server, any others won't be able to log in. So if you get the client somewhere else make sure it's HellBound, and make sure it's an official client.
Second, don't modify the client in any way. Using a private server running L2J and connecting with official clients is legal, but if you start modding the client you're passing into bad territory, and NCSoft is an asshat when it comes to that. BIG asshat.

So yeah, if you want to get in on this, all you have to do is download the client tell windows to route you to the new IP =) (see below) The goal is to get about 30 people on for a Saturday weekly pvp fest, and go from there =D

If anyone has any other questions/comments/or the like, don't be shy to reply. If any of you have any L2 experience, be sure to let me know, we'll need people to help organize for group fighting.

IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT RUN PATCHER Do NOT run the desktop shortcut, the shortcut in the start menu, or the Lineage II.exe ever! Those all start up an autopatcher. If it patches your install chances are you wont be able to connect and will have to reinstall. The executable you need is at: Lineage II/system/L2.exe I'd advise deleting the original desktop and start menu shortcuts and replacing them with shortcuts to the right exe.

How to connect:
Once you have the client downloaded, it's really easy to connect...
Just go to windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and open that file. At the bottom of the file put in the two lines:
Code:
96.232.117.227   l2authd.lineage2.com
216.107.250.194	  nprotect.lineage2.com
(there's a tab between the ips and .com addresses)
Hit enter so that there's a blank line after that and save it.

After that you should be able to run l2.exe (notice above to make sure you run the right exe) and you should be able to type any username and password to log in.

If you get gameguard errors when you launch the game (especially error 153), then it's an easy fix. Launch the autopatcher (lineage 2/lineage2.exe) and let it download the gameguard.des file (it was the very first file for me) then CANCEL the autopatcher as soon as you have that file. This is the ONLY time you should ever need to run the autopatcher in any form. After that the game should start as normal. Do not use any tools to modify your gameguard files!

Cryox

Bro.
so, you just download the client, and your good to go right? just that 2.6gb file and nothing else?

DrLame

Ham Eater
No patch necessary. All you do is add a line into your windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file that tells L2 to connect to a private server instead of the official servers. So, yeah, just pick up the 2.6g client, and you'll be good to go. As soon as the server is fully up I'll pass out the IP to be edited into that file =) And that's it!

Adiuvo

I've never played Lineage 2 before, but this sounds like a lot of fun. Already downloaded the client and now I'm just waiting for the server IP :)

DrLame

Ham Eater
Almost forgot:

EDIT: IMPORTANT!!! Do NOT run the desktop shortcut, the shortcut in the start menu, or the Lineage II.exe ever! Those all start up an autopatcher. If it patches your install chances are you wont be able to connect and will have to reinstall. The executable you need is at: Lineage II/system/L2.exe I'd advise deleting the original desktop and start menu shortcuts and replacing them with shortcuts to the right exe.

DrLame

Ham Eater
Sorry it's taken so long! I've alllmost get everything squared away...

Server is running, IP is: (Edit: ) 96.232.117.227
My client isn't connecting, but I might have an older version of interlude than you guys, so I need someone with the downloaded client to try and connect then tell me if it worked....

Just go to windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and open that file
at the bottom add a line and put: 96.232.117.227 l2authd.lineage2.com
(there's a tab between the ip and .com address)
hit enter so that there's a blank line after that and save it.

After that you should be able to run l2.exe (notice above to make sure you run the right exe) and you should be able to type any username and password to log in. That should take you to the server select... hopefully it shows up. If it does, connect to the server and make a char, then let me know so i can set up your toon.

If it doesn't work, let me know what happened... If it wont log in with a user name and password, look at the bottom of the client to see if it gives a reason (ie. bad username password). If the text at the bottom doesn't change at all from what it says when you first start the game, it's probably a client compatibility issue and i'll have to setup a different server. If there's no game servers listed after you log in, that'll be the easiest to fix...

Cryox

Bro.
downloading now. geesh. that whole line thing is annoying. Still have to wait 27 minutes... anywhere else i can download?

DrLame

Ham Eater
I'm updating the main post as I go along, so be sure to refer back to that post for instructions and to be sure you haven't missed any new edits =)

Also, just to reiterate, DO NOT RUN THE AUTO PATCHER! lol... someone's already done it...

Things should be ready to roll very soon. I'll update the topic title as soon as the server is fully up.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM EST ----------

downloading now. geesh. that whole line thing is annoying. Still have to wait 27 minutes... anywhere else i can download?

Honestly, that's the best place to get it in my opinion. It's %100 official client, and as soon as you're at the head of the line it downloads pretty steady and fast. If you decide to get it from somewhere else, make sure it's official =)

Cryox

Bro.
I'm updating the main post as I go along, so be sure to refer back to that post for instructions and to be sure you haven't missed any new edits =)

Also, just to reiterate, DO NOT RUN THE AUTO PATCHER! lol... someone's already done it...

Things should be ready to roll very soon. I'll update the topic title as soon as the server is fully up.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM EST ----------

Honestly, that's the best place to get it in my opinion. It's %100 official client, and as soon as you're at the head of the line it downloads pretty steady and fast. If you decide to get it from somewhere else, make sure it's official =)

its all good. i got it. the line actually went pretty fast for me.

DrLame

Ham Eater
Alright, guys, the server is live! Gotta iron out the details of operating some parts of it, but I think we're pretty well off now. You all should hop in so we can get some game on =D

I'm gonna tentatively plan on next Saturday (April 25th) for the first big server get-together. It'll prolly work out best time-wise if it's at 8pm GMT (Noon Pacific USA, 3pm East Coast USA, 8pm for England (I think), 9pm my time). Let me know if you can make it!

So, get your client and get a toon going!

Tsunaii

eMummeh
erm, i downloaded it, but i have no idea what to do with this file.... its a rar. amirite? and like, what now...
arg

Cryox

Bro.
erm, i downloaded it, but i have no idea what to do with this file.... its a rar. amirite? and like, what now...
arg
Get 7-zip or another similar application (winrar is one) and download and run the EXE file. Once done installing, right click on any RAR or ZIP etc file and locate 7_zip on the right click menu. Click Extract to Here and wha-la. Run the install files inside the RAR and you should be good to go.