• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 linux help

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
i am going to buy a ps3 fat especially for linux so i wanted to know some questions

1.can i install firefox themes in linux on ps3 and when i surf on firefox on lunix and save my bookmarks on firefox on lunix then shut down the ps3 then again when i boot up in ps3 linux will i find my bookmarks in firefox under linux
2.can i connect my 80gb usb harddisk to linux and get a pop up window like on windows xp like -open folder to view files
3.is pendrive supported in ps3 linux
4.is it worth buying ps3 fat instead of ps3 slim for linux

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM EST ----------

one more thing will microsoft word,excel,powerpoint will work on ps3 linux

RoBz

sucker
1. Yes
2. Probably not a pop up window, but the disk will appear on your desktop and it's just a matter of double clicking it.
3. I think so, not sure.
4. In my opinion, no.

Adiuvo

A PS3 isn't going to replace a desktop unless yours is already very weak. At best, Linux on PS3 is only useful as a media server for daily use, but the normal PS3 OS is just as good for that, albeit with less codec support.

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
Thanks for replying guys
2 more questions
1.will logitec wireless mouse will work on lunik ps3
2.can i change the wallpaper to my downloaded one like anyone

I am newbee to this stuff guys that why i am asking noob questions

eldiablov

Contributor
Thanks for replying guys
2 more questions
1.will logitec wireless mouse will work on lunik ps3
2.can i change the wallpaper to my downloaded one like anyone

I am newbee to this stuff guys that why i am asking noob questions

Yes you can change your wallpaper >.>

I'd suggest you search before asking any specific questions like the logitech one.

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
Yes you can change your wallpaper >.>

I'd suggest you search before asking any specific questions like the logitech one.

that means no wireless mouse support?

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
1. Yes. Same shit as the PC.
2. Usually. It does that by default I think.
3. Yes. If the PS3 supports it then PS3 Linux does. Linux can run on a toaster.
4. Probably not. You'd be better off buying some cheap ass hardware instead. It'd be cheaper.

Linux supports my wireless mouses so I'd assume that PS3 Linux does.

Though, google would probably tell you exactly what you need to know.

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
guys wats ubuntu,first we have to install linux 3.3gb on ps3 or direct ubuntu which is 600mb in size wats it

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
guys wats ubuntu,first we have to install linux 3.3gb on ps3 or direct ubuntu which is 600mb in size wats it

Ubuntu is one on many Linux variations.

I for one recommend Yellow Dog Linux. It's fast on the PS3 and comes pre-configured to use the PS3 GPU RAM as Physical RAM which make it slightly faster.

Also it comes with OpenOffice and I have all my roms and emulators running from it :D

Hellcat

Contributor
PS3 Linux can do everything PC Linux can.

So, you'd just to check if Linux can at all, there's no PS3 specific "can't or can".

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
Ubuntu is one on many Linux variations.

I for one recommend Yellow Dog Linux. It's fast on the PS3 and comes pre-configured to use the PS3 GPU RAM as Physical RAM which make it slightly faster.

Also it comes with OpenOffice and I have all my roms and emulators running from it :D

Which YD linux version are u using and which is the latest one out there

I recommend u to use windows xp theme on ps3 linux it looks cool
check this guy ---PS3 Booting Linux with Windows XP theme

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
I'm using 6.1 but I think 6.2 is out there or almost coming out.

most imp question of all if u are on linux 6.1 how can u jump to 6.2 do we have to do uninstall 6.1 then again we have to burn new 6.2 and then install

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
most imp question of all if u are on linux 6.1 how can u jump to 6.2 do we have to do uninstall 6.1 then again we have to burn new 6.2 and then install

That I can't really answer...

I've been on 6.1 for some time and I have no intentions of updating unless there is some MAJOR improvement in 6.2.

But google it... There might be some guides out there

KezraPlanes

Just some dood