• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Linux + PSCX2 Possible?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So I've been doing some hard thinking and I was wondering, is there anyway that the PS3 could emulate PS2 using only software (since there is no 3D support for any linux distro) by means of the PSCX2 emulator?
I mean, the PS3 has more than power enough to be able to do that, does it not? As far as I remember full-software emulation requires powerful processors and the PS3 has them.

Btw, is there anyway to unlock full 3D acceleration on PS3 Linux?

Thanks in advance,

K.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's why I said full-software emulation... That should work no? Even if badly xD

Colm

Even then, you encounter problems. The hypervisor places pretty tough limits across the board. Whilst what the Cell can do is pretty much left alone, RAM is limited alongside other factors. I'm fairly sure that attempting to emulate the PS2 using only the Cell is unlikely.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
While we wait for other opinions (I don't discount yours Eran, I just want other opinions ;)) can someone tell me what the hypervisor is?

Hellcat

Contributor
Software emu of the PS2 is even hard to do on the native PS3 OS (or else Sony would have done it long ago and not build some legacy PS2 HW into the first 60G models) but completely impossible in OtherOS state of the PS3 due to the limitations (even the Cell is limited in OtherOS).

Do you know VMWare on the PC/Mac?
The Hypervisor is sort of that, everthing on the PS3 (even the native Sony OS!) does not run directely on the machine with full access, everthing runns in some sort of a "virtual machine".
While during native Sony PS3 OS it lets the OS access almost everthing (but still watching it, hence hacking made harder), it blocks most of the PS3's HW from being accessd/used in OtherOS mode.

// EDIT

Thanks for the rep :)

About the question if PS2 compatibility will ever make it back to the PS3:
IIRC Sony patented a "Software Technology for emulating the Playstatio 2 Entertainment Sytem" - so we might still hope they will put that into future PS3 FWs - like it was hoped for since they stripped it from the 40G models....