• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Loud PS3 Fan

NYYFAN

I have had my ps3 for about a year now and have not had any hardware issues until the other day. I went to switch out games and when I placed it the game I wanted to play, it did not read it. I figured it was the game or the blu ray laser so I tried another game, no problem. Tried the same game again and had no problem. Fluke thing I figured. This was about a week ago.

Fast-forward to today. I was playing madden for a little over a hour when the systems fan got extremely loud, so loud i could not hear the games sound. I have do idea why this is though. The system itself is on its side and is in a wide open space, I never play it for more than an hour or two, and my room is not that hot, so I have no clue why it got so loud. I have left it off for the last hour or so.

Anything wrong or does it just get like that? Are the two problems related at all? ( I Figure the latter is a no but I am throwing it out there)

Hardrive

Contributor
Mine used to do this too. I used to have it in a cabinet that got pretty hot, especially when the DVR and Receiver were turned on. After watching a movie (DVD or Blu ray) or playing a game, the fan would get extremely loud.

After I moved it to my room, I don't have the fan problem anymore. Instead of being tucked away in a cabinet, it is sitting on a wire shelf with plenty of ventilation.

So I guess my point is, make sure that it is in a well ventilated area.

Bran

Yell
Yeah, I used to have the PS3 in a cabinet with my Wii, but the damn Wii got so hot just being idle it would make the cabinet hot all the time and the PS3 fan was running all the time. You could hear it clearly even with the door closed.

Now I have the PS3 hiding behind the TV and when it's on you can't even hear it.

(I know it was the Wii causing it to be too hot cause I unplugged the Wii eventually and the PS3 was quieter, but it's still better in the open air.)

Access_Denied

That's what happened to my PS3. I had it in a cabinet with my 360, and one day it got so hot, that the fan kicked on full speed and it actually gave me a message saying I should shut down because it was too hot. But, I opened the door to the cabinet and all was well. :)

NYYFAN

Access_Denied said:
What model PS3 and how old?

(I know you've had it for a year and a half, but did you buy it new or used?)

It is a 40gb launch that I bought new in November of 2007.

Here is a picture of my setup I posted on qj months ago. The only difference now is their is a ps2 on the other side. Its well ventilated imo

th_16780_DSCN0101_122_1105lo.JPG
th_16787_DSCN0103_122_114lo.JPG

EDIT: I played some more last night without any problem so idk whats up

Access_Denied

It's probably nothing. Just keep playing it as normal. If you start to get more drastic overheating problems, you might have to replace the thermal paste. Although, this problem was only really common with the 60GB models.

Bran

Yell
Access_Denied said:
It's probably nothing. Just keep playing it as normal. If you start to get more drastic overheating problems, you might have to replace the thermal paste. Although, this problem was only really common with the 60GB models.
which 60 gigs?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
dust really builds up in the system

try vacuuming the vents, it works wonders and makes it run quieter and cooler

Access_Denied

z357x said:
Hmm. News to me, I've not really had this issue so far as I know.

Well, it's nowhere near as common as the RROD for the 360, but it is fairly common.

And yes, dust REALLY builds up inside the PS3. I suggest doing the PS3 fan test and kicking that fan up to high and getting all that dust out.

eldiablov

Contributor
Access_Denied said:
Well, it's nowhere near as common as the RROD for the 360, but it is fairly common.

And yes, dust REALLY builds up inside the PS3. I suggest doing the PS3 fan test and kicking that fan up to high and getting all that dust out.

My brother was in hospital for a week and at the end I went to look at his PS3 and at a certain section it was completely clogged up with dust. Honestly unbelievable.

Access_Denied

eldiablov said:
My brother was in hospital for a week and at the end I went to look at his PS3 and at a certain section it was completely clogged up with dust. Honestly unbelievable.

Yeah, but that's the price you pay for having good ventilation. The 360 doesn't get much dust inside of it, but it's poorly ventilated. And besides, that's why we have the PS3 fan test. :tup:

eldiablov

Contributor
Access_Denied said:
They have a 60GB fan test. Google it. I've used it before.

That's not a fan test. Thats a "put your PS3 upside down and hope it doesnt have a failure due to overheating" test.

Blackout

eldiablov said:
That's not a fan test. Thats a "put your PS3 upside down and hope it doesnt have a failure due to overheating" test.

Second.

People really need to stop passing this off as a fan test.

Access_Denied

Those websites need to stop exaggerating. Sure, your PS3 isn't supposed to do it, but doing it won't hurt it. (As long as you're careful. Don't do it for too long.) Besides, it's supposed to be a 'fan test'. You do it real quick, and if the fan kicks on to high, then you know it works, and you immediately shut it down.