• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Memory Stick PRO Duo Write Protect

LordSpike

Hello,
I was trying to upgrade my PSP Firmware by using a guide I found on STF, which linked firmware files to this forum, but something happened and I can't use my Memory Card anymore.
I followed all the steps, everything went fine until the last file was extracted and it gave "unable to write" error, which I believe due to low space on the memory card (30mb was available before I started the operation. I know, my bad :blushing:)
Then I tried to delete some ISO files to open up space but it didn't let me, said "remove write protection" I tried with external Card Reader and got the same result. Even tried to format the Memory card but still same result. I checked the card to see if it had physical lock but it doesn't. (Its 1 GB MagicGate memory stick pro duo which came with the PSP Giga Pack btw.)
I was planning on buying a larger Memory Stick Pro Duo so if the card is unfixable at this point, its ok. But I don't want the same thing to happen to the new memory card I'll buy because my budget is not that great nowadays ^^
So, any help or suggestion will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS: my psp is already downgraded to 1.50, was using DevHook to play ISO files but latest games required higher firmware version (got 3.02 on DevHook only) so I decided to patch the Firmware and get rid of DevHook ^^

dennis96411

Hmm...
Try this:
1. Go to Start Menu
2. Click Run.
3. Type in cmd and press Enter.
4. Type this in the prompt: rmformat -w disable device-name
Change the device-name to the drive of your memory stick (eg. X: )

To verify if your drive has successfully wp disabled, do this:
1. Go to Start Menu
2. Click Run.
3. Type in cmd and press Enter.
4. Type this in the prompt: rmformat -p device-name
Change the device-name to the drive of your memory stick (eg. X: )

Or

Copy all the files to your computer, format it, and put it back on? That's all I got.

dennis96411

Read my reply up there ^^ I added another way.

LordSpike

Ok, I will try your new suggestion but what is "rmformat"? I assumed you wanted me to do those procedures on my PC with PSP attached with USB connection. I have Windows XP Pro and rmformat is not recognized as a command. Is it an external program?

dennis96411

Wait, are you trying to move a file, or delete a file, or move or delete a lot of files? The file might have set to Read-Only.

Try this:
Go to My Computer, Right click the Removable drive, Go to Properties >Tools. Run Error Checking and Scan for errors and fix them. The files that are corrupt or in bad sectors already will not work but at least the new transferred files should work

LordSpike

I can copy files from Memory Stick to computer, but can't delete or move them from memory stick. Neither can I format the memory stick. It always says Write Protected.

dennis96411

Read my previous reply above^^ Try the disk error check.

LordSpike

Thanks for trying to help me, dennis96411 :) I tried Checking the Memory card with TuneUp Utilities Disk Doctor but it said "Disk is Write Protected" and didn't do anything. Will try the way you suggested, although I bet it will say the same thing ^^

XsavioR

Connect psp via usb.

Under my computer click drive for psp.

(you will need to select "show hidden and system files" by selecting TOOLS at the top, and then FOLDER OPTIONS look for a box to check for show hidden and system files, fill in this box)

Click edit on the top menu.

Click select all (under the edit menu)

right click one of the selected files or folders.

click options

on the bottom make sure "read only" is not selected.

Click ok

(it may ask you do you wish to effect all sub folders and directories you DO wish to do so. )

Try formatting again via psp. Should get you squared away.

The problem most likely is while you were messing with stuff (like copying files from pc to psp) you copied a read only file to your psp. Chances are this file is a system/hidden file. You need to remove this setting in order to be able to format the stick since hidden files are also removed when you do this. This setting in windows will allow you to do so.