• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Steam Microsoft Bringing Age of Empires II HD Exclusively to Steam

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Yes, you read that right - in conjunction with developer Hidden Path, Microsoft is bringing RTS classic Age of Empires II exclusively to Steam - and it's also receiving the HD treatment. The title is due out April 9 officially, though those who pre-purchase at the 10% discount will get it earlier on April 5.

Continue reading...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
am i missing something, or wouldn't microsoft want to use this to help prop their windows store?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
So, what. They zoomed out the view to make the sprites not get all filtered ugly and what not?

It doesn't look like they redrew anything. But it's hard to tell. It looks very nice either way

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
It was hard to tell from the video. Easier thanks to the screens but it's still a bit difficult without comparisons. Because if many old Isometric 2D games are examples. They could've just zoomed the view out so that everything is displayed close to 1:1 scale. Which is what makes it look nice. (See Recent updated versions of Divine Divinity games. High res patches for Fallout,Starcraft,Baldur's Gate, etc)

But again that's not to say that it doesn't look good. Because that's not true. It looks GREAT.

I'm just curious about whether it's actual new sprites or not. And since i'm not familiar with the original I can't say for sure.

Edit: After watching the trailer like 10 times in the spot where it changes. You can definitely see some very distinctly different sprites for the enviroment.