• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

My First Adventure in the World of Zelda

Spiros

Maiki
I had been planning to go back and play games from big franchises that I had somehow missed when I was a kid. I was planning to play through Final Fantasy VI Advance(Thanks for the advice Kezra, I'm still planning on playing it this summer.) But after E3 and all the hype about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, I started to remember the way some of my friends talked about Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, I decided I'd give Zelda a try.

To explain how I missed such huge titles, the answer is, I wasn't a hardcore gamer as a kid, I always got a game or two at a time and played the shit out of it. First it was Wario Land and Pokemon Blue for Gameboy, Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, and Super Mario 64 and Wave Race were my games for the 64. Once I got a game I enjoyed I never felt the need to venture away from it and try something new.

So now I've just turned 21 and I can't get as excited as other people about new games like FFXIII or Skyward Sword becuase I don't have the history with these titles.

Anyway, to the point! I've started playing the very first Legend of Zelda for the NES, I thought I would have to push myself to play it but it turns out I can really enjoy this game even without the nostalgia of remembering a childhood wielding a sword as Link. So, I've got the first 3 pieces of the Triforce:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The only part that seemed hard to me was that last level I did(Level 3), the boss was crazy hard, and would've been impossible without savestates.

I did read a bit from a walkthrough, but I decided that's not how I wanted to get through this game, I want to experience it properly, and that's why I'm creating this thread. For any advise that you would have gotten from friends, when you didn't have the internet for guides or walkthroughs.

Also, good job if you got through all that.:)

Scorned

The first one was kind of a bitch to beat, but that might've been just me when I used to play it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Congrats! You'll have a lot of fun when you reach Ocarina of Time for the N64 (I've actually gone back and started playing it again since I was bored and I'm not one to replay games0

El Diablo

Congrats! You'll have a lot of fun when you reach Ocarina of Time for the N64 (I've actually gone back and started playing it again since I was bored and I'm not one to replay games0
Replayed this game so many times and everytime I love it.

Except for when I was doing master quest on project 64 and for some reason my lens of truth didn't work and I just got cock blocked at the shadow temple :(.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I never played a Zelda game either. Always wanted to but just never really played it.

I wasn't a gamer as a kid either, I owned a SNES and some games but never really played it. I only really started playing games like 4 years ago.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i beat the nes version when it was ported to the gba, and it was a good time, orcarina of time i've never beaten, i got just past the sand temple, but then i can't remember why, but i just stopped playing, i was told i was really close to beating it, but i never have. As for majora's mask, i couldn't really get into that game, maybe it's cause i was a kid, but it felt really confusing and difficult, as for twilight princess, i beat it, it was defiantly a fun one, anywho, i'm sure you'll enjoy the zelda series, it is really a good game imo.

Deathrow

Zelda is one of my favorite series next to Metriod.
First one I played was Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Gameboy. After that it was all up hill for me as I played nearly all of them now. The only one's I really haven't gotten to is the ones for the DS :(

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Real solid idea Spiros. Make sure to post your thoughts as you keep playing through the series.

Spiros

Maiki
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I beat level 4 today, this was my favourite dungeon so far, the puzzle was pretty challenging, I went back and forth through the level like 5 times before I realized what I was missing. I realize this game does not hold your hand at all, not that that's what I want, but there really is very little(none in most cases) direction in the game. There isn't too much to point you in the right direction. Which makes it quite challenging, but that is a good thing IMO, and overall I am really enjoying it.

Also, to anyone that isn't really familiar with The Legend of Zelda I'd recommend this video from Gamespot's "Video Game History Month", it's about the history of the series, I watched it before I decided to play Zelda and it helped make my decision.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I beat level 4 today, this was my favourite dungeon so far, the puzzle was pretty challenging, I went back and forth through the level like 5 times before I realized what I was missing. I realize this game does not hold your hand at all, not that that's what I want, but there really is very little(none in most cases) direction in the game. There isn't too much to point you in the right direction. Which makes it quite challenging, but that is a good thing IMO, and overall I am really enjoying it.

Also, to anyone that isn't really familiar with The Legend of Zelda I'd recommend this video from Gamespot's "Video Game History Month", it's about the history of the series, I watched it before I decided to play Zelda and it helped make my decision.

You'll find that as you play through each generation that your hand will be held more. By the end of the N64's Ocarina of Time, you will be hearing "Hey, listen!" in your sleep.

It's a great series though, one of my favourite franchises.