• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 My thoughts on the PS3 slim

Sliderkk

Okay well I'll just get started then.

Price:
Its awesome that Sony is selling this thing for 299$. This will probably cause the platform to sell tens of millions more, possibly double the 24 million already sold, and maybe even bring it out of third place, maybe. Whats interesting is why its the same price as the seemingly less advanced phat version...

Lack of OtherOS:

Although many users never even heard of the feature or even know what Linux is, this will disappoint alot of people. This feature costs nothing to add, but Sony wants you using their software. I don't know much on the subject but maybe Sony is aware of a vulnerability that pertains to the feature? I'm hoping that someone will be able to get this function on the slim through a pseudo exploit or something, maybe it will be as simple as running a phat firmware update on the slim.

Hardware:
Well, this thing is different to say the least. Alot of people are complaining about the tactile buttons for power and eject, who gives a shit, as long as the thing gives me my disks without any scratches and turns on every time then I'm happy. I am quite peeved over the lack of USB ports... Two now? God, USB ports weren't what made the original PS3 initially cost $900 to make. The machine could use more ports; I would expect one for each of four controllers, and two or three in the back for the many USB devices this thing is compatible with. Unlike most people I wouldn't be missing the card readers. If you have a PSP then it doubles as a card reader, and the same goes for most cameras. There's no good reason why someone who has memory cards wouldn't have anything to read them with already. Pretty much all the differences seem to be the driving force behind those three major numbers "Two, Nine, Nine" (if you don't know what I'm referring to than just ignore that quote, its the price). The machine has a cheaper and better 45nm cell processor, again contributing to the low price. And for those who were wondering, the thing will have a user serviceable HDD.

Stand:
24$ for that plastic thing? I would never pay that much. I would never pay $5 for that thing. I'm pretty sure this thing stand on its own unless you live in a high earthquake zone.

Conclusion:

Cheaper and generally better. If you like touch sensitive thingamabobs, fingerprints, less HDD space and Linux, then you should consider getting the phat for the same price. But most people who are looking for a new PS3 should generally aim for the slimmed down version.

Joey

I honestly don't understand what the point of the "OtherOS" thing was. What good is a PC where you have no access to the GPU? If you want linux, just install it on your PC.

I don't think removing the OtherOS feature means a damn thing, to be honest. Anybody who would use it probably already owns a PS3, and I'd bet that less than .5% use it.

Hellcat

Contributor
My decision stands: Slim for the kittey on day 1.

The OtherOS thing is sad (it's just nice having Linux on it as well) but it's not necessary.... but sad....

Reason #1 for me is the lower power consumption of ~80W against the 250W of my current one :eek:
So, in time I will have the Slim for free as what it costs in buying gets saved on power \o/

The casing of the shiney one is a tad more nice IMO, but the Slim's isnz bad as well.
Just gotta find out what font they used for the new logo....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I honestly don't understand what the point of the "OtherOS" thing was. What good is a PC where you have no access to the GPU? If you want linux, just install it on your PC.

I don't think removing the OtherOS feature means a damn thing, to be honest. Anybody who would use it probably already owns a PS3, and I'd bet that less than .5% use it.

No GPU access means things like 3D games are nearly unplayable but for anything else it is fine. You still 'see' the desktop, it's just rendered in software.

There's a lot of things OtherOS is good for. It's not for everyone, though. You are right in saying that a small percentage of the userbase actually takes advantage of this feature, but that is not reason to remove it.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran

Price:
Its awesome that Sony is selling this thing for 299$. This will probably cause the platform to sell tens of millions more, possibly double the 24 million already sold, and maybe even bring it out of third place, maybe. Whats interesting is why its the same price as the seemingly less advanced phat version...

Lack of OtherOS:

Although many users never even heard of the feature or even know what Linux is, this will disappoint alot of people. This feature costs nothing to add, but Sony wants you using their software. I don't know much on the subject but maybe Sony is aware of a vulnerability that pertains to the feature? I'm hoping that someone will be able to get this function on the slim through a pseudo exploit or something, maybe it will be as simple as running a phat firmware update on the slim.

Hardware:
Well, this thing is different to say the least. Alot of people are complaining about the tactile buttons for power and eject, who gives a shit, as long as the thing gives me my disks without any scratches and turns on every time then I'm happy. I am quite peeved over the lack of USB ports... Two now? God, USB ports weren't what made the original PS3 initially cost $900 to make. The machine could use more ports; I would expect one for each of four controllers, and two or three in the back for the many USB devices this thing is compatible with. Unlike most people I wouldn't be missing the card readers. If you have a PSP then it doubles as a card reader, and the same goes for most cameras. There's no good reason why someone who has memory cards wouldn't have anything to read them with already[HIGHLIGHT]. Pretty much all the differences seem to be the driving force behind those three major numbers "Two, Nine, Nine"[/HIGHLIGHT] (if you don't know what I'm referring to than just ignore that quote, its the price). The machine has a cheaper and better 45nm cell processor, again contributing to the low price. And for those who were wondering, the thing will have a user serviceable HDD.

Stand:
24$ for that plastic thing? I would never pay that much. I would never pay $5 for that thing. I'm pretty sure this thing stand on its own unless you live in a high earthquake zone.

Conclusion:

Cheaper and generally better. If you like touch sensitive thingamabobs, fingerprints, less HDD space and Linux, then you should consider getting the phat for the same price. But most people who are looking for a new PS3 should generally aim for the slimmed down version.
A lot of those differences aren't new.

Joey

No GPU access means things like 3D games are nearly unplayable but for anything else it is fine. You still 'see' the desktop, it's just rendered in software.

There's a lot of things OtherOS is good for. It's not for everyone, though. You are right in saying that a small percentage of the userbase actually takes advantage of this feature, but that is not reason to remove it.

Yeah, I realize all that, but the only worthwhile reason to install Linux on your PS3 would be to have emulators on your TV... No GPU, no emulators.

If not that, then your just using your PS3 as a PC replacement, and who would do that?

I honestly can't see any practical use for having Linux on your PS3. None, what so ever.

Hellcat

Contributor
x3: you're perfectly right IMO, OtherOS is a quite nice thing if have use for it.
For those few cases ppl should see to get an older "Fat" PS3.

But still, unlike the PS2 compat., they gain or save NOTHING by throwing it out.

I think I believe in the "it was for the taxes" theory....

// EDIT

Joey:
I actually did (do) use Linux on PS3. Got quite some stuff installed on it, but none if it is games or such, I don't even use a graphical UI like KDE or Gnome, mostly I'm accessing it by SSH.

Joey

x3: you're perfectly right IMO, OtherOS is a quite nice thing if have use for it.
For those few cases ppl should see to get an older "Fat" PS3.

But still, unlike the PS2 compat., they gain or save NOTHING by throwing it out.

I think I believe in the "it was for the taxes" theory....

// EDIT

Joey:
I actually did (do) use Linux on PS3. Got quite some stuff installed on it, but none if it is games or such, I don't even use a graphical UI like KDE or Gnome, mostly I'm accessing it by SSH.

Why? I just don't get the "why" part of this whole equation.

Hellcat

Contributor
Well for one, "because it's possible" :D and then because it's quite convinient (at least for me) and then again.... CELL POWER (even though reduced, but still).

And even more, I'm an "all-in-one" fan.

However, this only applies to me, not saying others think likewise....

Joey

Well for one, "because it's possible" :D and then because it's quite convinient (at least for me) and then again.... CELL POWER (even though reduced, but still).

And even more, I'm an "all-in-one" fan.

However, this only applies to me, not saying others think likewise....

Convenient in what way? Are you posting from your PS3 right now?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah the linux part is not really a lost for me atleast.

I'm sure some people found it useful, but as stated above, that is most likely not a huge percentage.

I would rather take the slim design, less power consumption, and bigger HDD over linux support. I just want my PS3 to play games. If it can do other things as a bonus, great, if not then oh well no lost.
The USB ports in not a problem for me. I only need/use 1 port.

Seth

MD Party Room
There was one good thing for ps3 linux, it was vlc with mvk support..

twelve

I'm not dead
Why did this need a separate thread?

If we all made a separate thread for our thoughts on something already covered in another thread then the forums would be a mess.

Sliderkk

Well I think it would be out of place to write that much in a reply...

Sliderkk

It wouldn't.

Price:

Lack of OtherOS:

Hardware:
Well, this thing is different to say the least. Alot of people are complaining about the tactile buttons for power and eject, who gives a shit, as long as the thing gives me my disks without any scratches and turns on every time then I'm happy. I am quite peeved over the lack of USB ports... Two now? God, USB ports weren't what made the original PS3 initially cost $900 to make. The machine could use more ports; I would expect one for each of four controllers, and two or three in the back for the many USB devices this thing is compatible with. Unlike most people I wouldn't be missing the card readers. If you have a PSP then it doubles as a card reader, and the same goes for most cameras. There's no good reason why someone who has memory cards wouldn't have anything to read them with already. Pretty much all the differences seem to be the driving force behind those three major numbers "Two, Nine, Nine" (if you don't know what I'm referring to than just ignore that quote, its the price). The machine has a cheaper and better 45nm cell processor, again contributing to the low price. And for those who were wondering, the thing will have a user serviceable HDD.

Stand:

Conclusion:

Yep, Wayyyyy too big...

Joey

Price:

Lack of OtherOS:

Hardware:

Stand:

Conclusion:

Yep, Wayyyyy too big...
There is no such thing as way too big. You wrote 4 fucking paragraphs, and now you think you're Stephen King.

eldiablov

Contributor
SliderKK, you should contact some publishers with a post of that length. I've never seen anything like it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yeah, I realize all that, but the only worthwhile reason to install Linux on your PS3 would be to have emulators on your TV... No GPU, no emulators.

If not that, then your just using your PS3 as a PC replacement, and who would do that?

I honestly can't see any practical use for having Linux on your PS3. None, what so ever.

The PS3 has a REALLY fast CPU, it's better than most modern quad cores. There's an app that uses OtherOS to encode video via the PS3. For a task like that, it's better to use the PS3 than your desktop.

Also, the lack of GPU access does not mean no emulators. There's an SNES emulator that works perfectly, as it does not need video acceleration.

SilverSpring

You really cannot think of even a single practical use? The fact that it had cost just $500 and was comparable in computing power to top PC's at the time?

That you can build ridiculously cheap clusters? For $4000: a top-of-the-line workstation or an 8-PS3 Linux cluster?

As for the homebrew scene, well apart from the lack of GPU access, this was Sony's compromise in allowing hobbiest development. They did it for PS1 with Net Yaroze, they did it again for PS2 with ps2linux, and now the same with the PS3. And the devs do care that it has now been removed as a feature (and even worse for cluster builders now that they only cost $300).

I admit for your average gamer Linux on PS3 might not be much use but then it was only ever meant for devs. I suspect IBM played a large part in pushing Linux onto the PS3: gets large numbers of people used to programming for the Cell and for a relatively cheap platform.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cells being used in more applications or even on the PC (though there are PCI add-on cards available as well being currently used on servers and not to mention the world's currently-fastest supercomputer, the IBM Roadrunner). So I'm pretty glad to be able to program on such an awesome platform all for just a few hundred bucks!

Even if it was never meant to be a games console (and say, hypothetically, PS3 games do not exist) it would still be an awesome Linux computer for only $300 (if otheros weren't stripped from the slim). Name me any other $300 computer that could perform half as well.