• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need a laptop suggestion

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Well, I'm finally heading to university :w00t: and I need to buy myself a laptop as I'll be leaving my desktop at home.

My requirements are pretty much that it should be fast and able to play all the games for the next four years with a decent level of graphics. I have a budget which ranges from US$1000 - US$1500. I don't really want to cross US$1500, unless there is a really good deal at hand!

Personally I was thinking of a Dell XPS or something on those grounds. Well, any suggestion along with a specific configuration from someone will be great!

Thanks in advance!

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Personally I wouldn't recommend buying any kind of laptop for gaming purposes. You'll get no where near desktop quality graphic performance with even some of the higher end mobile GPUs. If you do get one with a "beefy" GPU then it would probably be a desktop replacement; meaning you won't be dragging it to and from class. Even a 15" notebook is a little on the "large" side to be lugging around at school.

I would recommend building yourself a computer with parts from NewEgg (we can configure one for you) for around $800 and use the remaining money to buy yourself a separate laptop (either a netbook or an ultraportable - HP makes some nice ones in both categories for around 400-700$ on sale).

However if you are dead set on getting a laptop that would be for gaming I would suggest taking a look at the following: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152192

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Personally I wouldn't recommend buying any kind of laptop for gaming purposes. You'll get no where near desktop quality graphic performance with even some of the higher end mobile GPUs. If you do get one with a "beefy" GPU then it would probably be a desktop replacement; meaning you won't be dragging it to and from class. Even a 15" notebook is a little on the "large" side to be lugging around at school.

I would recommend building yourself a computer with parts from NewEgg (we can configure one for you) for around $800 and use the remaining money to buy yourself a separate laptop (either a netbook or an ultraportable - HP makes some nice ones in both categories for around 400-700$ on sale).

However if you are dead set on getting a laptop that would be for gaming I would suggest taking a look at the following: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152192

Heh, wasn't that the one I linked someone to on MforMature? :p
Anyways, as FrozenIpaq said, you'd be better getting a desktop for games and a netbook/small laptop for lectures. Heh, not like the old days where you had to take notes using pen and paper D:
Just kidding, I'm not that old.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Heh, wasn't that the one I linked someone to on MforMature? :p
Anyways, as FrozenIpaq said, you'd be better getting a desktop for games and a netbook/small laptop for lectures. Heh, not like the old days where you had to take notes using pen and paper D:
Just kidding, I'm not that old.

Not sure. I just did a quick look for something in his range with a good GPU and that is what I came up with :) Probably is the same, I forgot about the MFM thread (knew I was having dejavu)

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Well, I did think over it quite a bit, but ended up deciding that I do only want a laptop. Reason being, I don't want to always want to have to synchronize my folders on the laptop/netbook and the Desktop.

Plus I'll be traveling a lot more now and the journeys may be long. For that I think I'll want a decent laptop which can pretty much do whatever I want with it.

Thanks for the link FrozenIpaq. I had read about that laptop on Engadget before. Thing is, I'm not sure how well MSI services are beyond the United States.

One more thing, I don't have a lot of experience carrying around laptops :biggrin: So 3.5 Kgs (basically the weight of that MSI laptop), won't be too much of an inconvenience, right?

If there are any more suggestions, please do help me out here.

Thanks for the help FrozenIpaq and MenaceInc ++.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's a 17" notebook and at that size they're often referred to as "desktop replacements". While you will still be able to carry it around in a backpack, it won't be ideal. If you're going to be traveling with it a lot you'll also need to bring the power adapter with you which is extra weight and space being needed. It's not fun to lug around a "desktop replacement" unless you are just moving from your home to school.

I got past the folder syncrohnization issue by using a service such as Dropbox - it syncrohnizes folders on both of my computers whenever I'm connected to the internet. Say I'm taking notes on my laptop in class, I just save it to the folder when I'm done, exit out of the document and Dropbox uploads it to their server and then my desktop receives it back in my dorm automatically into the specified folder. You're not given much space (you can upgrade or refer more people to the service for more space) but it works great for documents.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It's a 17" notebook and at that size they're often referred to as "desktop replacements". While you will still be able to carry it around in a backpack, it won't be ideal. If you're going to be traveling with it a lot you'll also need to bring the power adapter with you which is extra weight and space being needed. It's not fun to lug around a "desktop replacement" unless you are just moving from your home to school.

I got past the folder syncrohnization issue by using a service such as Dropbox - it syncrohnizes folders on both of my computers whenever I'm connected to the internet. Say I'm taking notes on my laptop in class, I just save it to the folder when I'm done, exit out of the document and Dropbox uploads it to their server and then my desktop receives it back in my dorm automatically into the specified folder. You're not given much space (you can upgrade or refer more people to the service for more space) but it works great for documents.

I searched for AGES to sort the folder sync issue and the best solution I found was Windows Live Sync. Sure, it's a bit finicky to setup but it works well. I have it set so that all my emulator savestates are copied automatically over my local network. Works by specifying folders on both computers where you want the contents to be the same. It can be setup for multiple computers and whatnot. I generally have my "To Sort" folder and documents/roms/savestates set to sync. Tis' pretty good.

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Okay, thanks again. I'll look into those synchronizing solutions.

For now, I was researching on laptops and came up with this:
Dell Singapore - XPS 16 (Don't be shocked by the prices, thats in Singapore dollars. Approx US$1= S$1.3)

Now I'm interested in the one in the center and the one on the right. (Now i know the one on the right crosses the budget I quoted initially, but hey, seems like a good deal).

The stark difference between them is in the processor, graphics card and disc drive.

Now what I wanted to ask here is that, how much of a difference is there in a 4 cored - core i5 and a regular core i7?

Oh and does the one on the right look lucrative to you guys? Because I will have to convince dad quite a bit, to get it :laugh:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Okay, thanks again. I'll look into those synchronizing solutions.

For now, I was researching on laptops and came up with this:
Dell Singapore - XPS 16 (Don't be shocked by the prices, thats in Singapore dollars. Approx US$1= S$1.3)

Now I'm interested in the one in the center and the one on the right. (Now i know the one on the right crosses the budget I quoted initially, but hey, seems like a good deal).

The stark difference between them is in the processor, graphics card and disc drive.

Now what I wanted to ask here is that, how much of a difference is there in a 4 cored - core i5 and a regular core i7?

Oh and does the one on the right look lucrative to you guys? Because I will have to convince dad quite a bit, to get it :laugh:

Clock per clock, Core i5 and i7 are similar in performance (if not the same). The only difference is that the i7 has hyperthreading, allowing for up to eight simultaneous threads across four cores. As far as games and general desktop usage goes, you won't notice a difference with HT. It does bring a noticeable improvement to CPU heavy tasks like video encoding though.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Honestly, I wouldn't go for any of those Dell models when the MSI laptop that FrozenIpaq gave a link is better from a component level AND is cheaper.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My brother actually owns a Studio XPS 16 and while it looks nice, the performance is no where near what you would want if you wanted it to function as a good gaming laptop. The Studio XPS's GPU isn't the greatest and you would be much better off (performance-wise) with the MSI laptop.

Also some things about the Studio XPS: battery life, like other laptops of it's size and caliber, is horrible. It also gets really hot. If you are looking to get a slightly smaller "gaming" laptop though, the Studio XPS is a solid choice - although never buy it full retail, Dell usually has deals every month that knocks off a few hundred.

angelsniper45

with that much money, id recommend a macbook pro.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
with that much money, id recommend a macbook pro.

Apple's machines are worthless for gaming though. The top-of-the-line MBP configuration comes with only a Nvidia 330M GPU. That's not even adequate for maxing TF2.

That said, for general usage they are great if you don't mind footing the premium.

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Well, Heres a draw out between the MSI Laptop and the Dell XPS one:

MSI GX740-079US NoteBook
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Video Memory 1GB DDR5
Weight 7.04 lbs.
Resolution 1680 x 1050

Dell XPS:
1080p High Definition Screen
Intel

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's not so much the RAM difference with the cards as it is the cards themselves. One is a 5870 while the other is a lower-end 5730. You'll get about a 20fps increase in games with the 5870 over the 5730.

Compare the cards here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5730.23825.0.html and http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870.23073.0.html

As far as Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Professional goes: Home premium is all you need...unless you plan to use Remote Desktop to access your laptop remotely (most likely not).

Another key difference between the two is the resolution on the Dell Studio XPS 16 - it's much, much higher. You'll get full 1080p resolution, a nice step up from the MSI's screen. Colors should also pop a bit more on the XPS 16 although you probably won't be able to take advantage of the full resolution in games with the weaker GPU in it.

dennis96411

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
It's not so much the RAM difference with the cards as it is the cards themselves. One is a 5870 while the other is a lower-end 5730. You'll get about a 20fps increase in games with the 5870 over the 5730.

Thanks for the links, I think I get the difference now.

Well, thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys updated if i change my mind. Another thing available with the XPS is a RGBLED screen! Which i absolutely drool over :D
I think I'm going to go for the XPS as far as my position today is concerned.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thanks for the links, I think I get the difference now.

Well, thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys updated if i change my mind. Another thing available with the XPS is a RGBLED screen! Which i absolutely drool over :D
I think I'm going to go for the XPS as far as my position today is concerned.

Yeah, the screen on the Studio XPS 16 is the best on any laptop (it made me buy a new monitor for my desktop setup after seeing it on my brothers). The screen resolution and color reproduction are excellent, vibrant, and as you said, drool-worthy. If only it had a better GPU then it would be the best laptop around.

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Yeah. On the online store I don't see any other option. I'll check their outlets to see if theres anything else available.
They've got some of the best laptop speakers too!