• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need a new Phone/Music player

Joey

The Headphone jack on my iPhone just died, so I need a new phone.

Really, I just need a nice phone (prefurably with either a touchscreen or a Qwerty keyboard, and 3G with a decent web browser), and a cheap MP3 player with 8-16GB of capacity. If we can find a phone with a good MP3 player, that would be best. Of course, if I go that route, a full 3.5mm headphone jack is a must. No proprietary Jacks... This is why I'm not getting the G1, or the Behold.

Any help would be awesome. I love the X1 from Sony Ericsson, but $600 is way out of my price range. I'd like to stay as close to $400 as I can. Lower would be better, obviously.

And I'm on T-Mobile, so I'm not getting the iPhone 3G. I don't want to have to worry about hacking my phone for basic functionality.

Serideth

The Headphone jack on my iPhone just died, so I need a new phone.

Really, I just need a nice phone (prefurably with either a touchscreen or a Qwerty keyboard, and 3G with a decent web browser), and a cheap MP3 player with 8-16GB of capacity. If we can find a phone with a good MP3 player, that would be best. Of course, if I go that route, a full 3.5mm headphone jack is a must. No proprietary Jacks... This is why I'm not getting the G1, or the Behold.

Any help would be awesome. I love the X1 from Sony Ericsson, but $600 is way out of my price range. I'd like to stay as close to $400 as I can. Lower would be better, obviously.

And I'm on T-Mobile, so I'm not getting the iPhone 3G. I don't want to have to worry about hacking my phone for basic functionality.

Well taken from my thread about posting your phone:

I'm using my trusty Samsung f700 right now, it's a pretty slick phone with:

-Full touch 3.2″ screen
-3 megapixel camera
-Slide-out QWERTY keyboard
-3G
-HTML Web Browser for mobile internet
-Music Player

samsung_f700_550x422.jpg

It's a great alternative to the iPhone, but it's more a business version than a youtube browsing machine.

Th screen is big enough for me, but the real bonus is the qwerty pad that slides out, all phones should have these.

I'm sure it's come down a lot in price. And yes it has a proper headphone jack.

Joey

This is what I hate about cell phones... Where the hell am I supposed to buy this thing? I just googled it, and all sites that come up, I've never heard of.

That thing looks awesome though, I'll have to look into it :D

Serideth

This is what I hate about cell phones... Where the hell am I supposed to buy this thing? I just googled it, and all sites that come up, I've never heard of.

That thing looks awesome though, I'll have to look into it :D

It's a nice phone, the camera on it can get a bit blurry when you move it though, and sometimes the touchpad locks up for a few seconds when selecting things really quickly or if you somehow select two things at once.

Other than that it's a pretty sweet deal.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Since you've mentioned an iPhone I'm assuming GSM phones? I'll do a quick look (a good site to look at is phonearena or phonedog). EDIT: A price range would nice now that I think of it (LG Prada II rung a bell for me but it's expensive and I haven't looked at it much).

EDIT: With the time of year it is now I would recommend waiting a bit longer if you are hoping to get a new phone. New phones will be coming out in a few months that should have better tech inside

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
There's no way to get your headphone jack fixed for under $400? Why not just see if Apple can fix it for you for considerably less than the price of a new phone?

Joey

There's no way to get your headphone jack fixed for under $400? Why not just see if Apple can fix it for you for considerably less than the price of a new phone?

My iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked. I don't think they'll fix it.

Anyway, does anybody know anything about this site?

RadicalBuy

Because that's a ridiculous price for that phone. They're playing with my emotions...

Additional Comment:
Since you've mentioned an iPhone I'm assuming GSM phones? I'll do a quick look (a good site to look at is phonearena or phonedog). EDIT: A price range would nice now that I think of it (LG Prada II rung a bell for me but it's expensive and I haven't looked at it much).

EDIT: With the time of year it is now I would recommend waiting a bit longer if you are hoping to get a new phone. New phones will be coming out in a few months that should have better tech inside

I'm not looking for cutting edge, there's just a few things I need, and the rest is just extra.

I should probably say that internal memory is not so important, since 16GB Microsd cards run for about $50, so I'm not worried about that so much. Mostly just the input interface (at least touch screen or keyboard), and I would really prefer to have a 3G capable phone, with decent web browsing.

Joey

Dude, if this RadicalBuy.com places is legit, I don't give a fuck what my financial situation is like, I'm buying that phone.

eighty4

[HIGHLIGHT]My iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked. I don't think they'll fix it.[/HIGHLIGHT]

Anyway, does anybody know anything about this site?

RadicalBuy

Because that's a ridiculous price for that phone. They're playing with my emotions...

Additional Comment:

I'm not looking for cutting edge, there's just a few things I need, and the rest is just extra.

I should probably say that internal memory is not so important, since 16GB Microsd cards run for about $50, so I'm not worried about that so much. Mostly just the input interface (at least touch screen or keyboard), and I would really prefer to have a 3G capable phone, with decent web browsing.
Restore it and then take it in.

Joey

Restore it and then take it in.

I don't want to go through all that just to take it in, and see how much I'd have to pay. I've had the phone for nearly 2 years, so it's pretty beat up. I'd rather not pay $100+ (which I assume it'll be, knowing Apple) to fix this old, jank ass phone.

Additional Comment:
You know what? Fuck it, where can I buy an iPhone 3G with out signing a contract? I'm looking this shit up, and the cheapest way to get all the stuff I need is a damn iPhone 3G, and unlock it.

I'm tried of having to hack this thing all the time, but the damn thing is just so cheap.

eighty4

Umm - restore it, jailbreak it and delete the frameworks. If you bought any type of warranty, Apple will cover it and give you a new one.

Try craigslist for an unlocked one if you want to take a different route.

Joey

Umm - restore it, jailbreak it and delete the frameworks. If you bought any type of warranty, Apple will cover it and give you a new one.

Try craigslist for an unlocked one if you want to take a different route.

Once again, I don't want to go through all that just to get a repair appraisal that's probably going to be more than I'm willing to pay. And I bought no warranty.

Craigs list is a good idea, I'll check that.

RoBz

sucker
I'm planning on getting a new phone soon enough. I'd be sold on Seri's phone, if it weren't for the lack of Wi-Fi. I really need that, along with the QWERTY keyboard. I'll be on the look-out for now, so I'll keep you posted.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Dude, if this RadicalBuy.com places is legit, I don't give a fuck what my financial situation is like, I'm buying that phone.

Looks legit, but the problem is it is sold by someone not associated with the site. It's like ebay/craigslist. I have no idea w hat condition the phone is in or if the ESN is clean, 300$ is dirt cheap and you should contact the seller first asking him why or if there is anything wrong with it.

Joey

What are you planning on doing with the broken iphone? If you're planning on selling it let me know.

Probably gonna give it to my sister if she still wants it.

If not, I'll send it your way for a couple bucks. I'm not even gonna bother trying to sell it with a fucked up headphone jack.

Anyway, I think I've settled on getting a T-Mobile G1, and just a cheap MP3 player, like a iPod Nano 16GB, or the Zune 16. That, all together comes to about $350, which works for me.

Thanks for all your help guys.