• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

NeilR - No I'm not a robot *wink*

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Gaming memories

As a thirty-something, I've been playing video games since the early 1980s. It's amazing how far games have come from those early ascii games I used to play on my father's KayPro.

kaypro10-sml.jpg

I've owned several consoles over the years including the Atari 2600, NES, SNES but I was very much addicted to adventure games on PC during the late 80s early 90s; specifically those from Sierra.

Profession

When I'm not here on M for Mature I'm making a living as a software developer in the aviation industry; specifically, we provide airline management software (flight and crew management/tracking) and reservation systems. It's certainly not as flashy as the video game field but our hosted, software as a service model brings with it challenges I enjoy.

Where I live

I hail from New-Brunswick, Canada which is one of the Atlantic provinces. I live in the south-eastern portion of the province which is a nature tourism mecca thanks to the beautiful shorelines and sandy warm water beaches.

New_Brunswick-map.png

New-Brunswick, Canada

TheRocks.jpg

"HopeWell Rocks" - Created by the strong tides of "Fundy Bay".

ParleeBeach.jpg

"Parlee Beach" - Warmest water north of the Carolinas thanks to the shelter of "Prince Edward Island"

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
I prefer to just think that you are a robot, lol.

I feel like I already knew all of this, was this on your profile on QJ or something? I remember seeing something about the Bay of Fundy, and being like "hey! I was just there."

Moose

Meta Moose
I prefer to just think that you are a robot, lol.

I feel like I already knew all of this, was this on your profile on QJ or something? I remember seeing something about the Bay of Fundy, and being like "hey! I was just there."

Yeah it was on his profile, I remember seeing it too. :p

Welcome NeilR! lol

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Yeah, I had talked about the Rocks on my "UserPage" when that was installed there.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
magnetic hills?
Magnetic Hill is a natural optical illusion we have here in Moncton. There's a road which you seem to drive down hill (but in reality you're going up hill). The trick is you slowly drive it then at the end you go into neutral and let go of the brake; the car starts climbing the hill on its own.

I hear there's one somewhere in the states too.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Wait so magnets pull you up the hill?
That's the feeling your supposed to have. The reality is you really roll back down the hill. The optical illusion is created by the angle of the hill in relation to surroundings.

Bran

Yell
so confusing, how does rolling backwards make you feel like you are going forwards? I'm guessing everything is at stupid angles and the pressure on your head from being on a hill messes with your sense of direction then?

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
so confusing, how does rolling backwards make you feel like you are going forwards? I'm guessing everything is at stupid angles and the pressure on your head from being on a hill messes with your sense of direction then?
It's hard to explain really. It's purely a visual thing; it's your eyes that trick you into thinking something is pulling you back up the hill and that's mostly because it looked like you had just driven down one. You have to keep light on the pedal for it to work right.

... Only you would jump to that conclusion.

I didn't know you played adventure games, Police Quest?
Yeah King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory games were my favorites but I played most of them as well as Lucas Arts gems.

Bran

Yell
It's hard to explain really. It's purely a visual thing; it's your eyes that trick you into thinking something is pulling you back up the hill and that's mostly because it looked like you had just driven down one. You have to keep light on the pedal for it to work right.

I must experience this some day.

Moose

Meta Moose
I must experience this some day.

You've never had the feeling that you are moving the opposite direction to that which you are? I get it sometimes when my mum reverses the car while another car goes the opposite direction slowly beside us.