• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii U Nintendo Not Enforcing Unified Online Network With Wii U

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
IMG_0776-e1307598351514.jpg

While Nintendo has been extremely scant on details for its 'flexible' Wii U online network, word from NoA president Reggie Fils-Aime suggests the company is taking an open approach. Instead of being bound by terms of a central, unified network, Nintendo is allowing third-parties to run their own services.

"So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that," Reggie told Forbes.

He added, "We're going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers."

Beyond that, Reggie did not delve into specifics[...]

Continue reading: Nintendo Not Enforcing Unified Online Network With Wii U...

Adiuvo

Ew. Normally I'm for self-management but when your whole system is about providing a dedicated experience having a lack of standards doesn't make much sense.

I'd much prefer things like system-wide leaderboards and messaging instead of it being done on a per-developer basis. If Nintendo has to go this route I hope they provide a very good API that developers could use instead of making their own.

hush404

... Yet another 'stupid announcement' regarding the Wii U. I like the idea of an open structure to all 3rd party additions to the service... but this sounds like Nintnedo is being lazy and will end up churning out a half-assed online system, hoping third party devs will pick up the slack...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Add this to the fact the Wii U is sporting an ATi HD4000 model and my interest just hit rock bottom. It's not really next gen, it's this gen 1.5...

Robby

Los Doyers!
Was the Wii U ever about going next gen? I thought it was just trying to catch up to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Was the Wii U ever about going next gen? I thought it was just trying to catch up to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

They said it was going to have superior graphics to the PS3 and 360, therefore for me they basically said they wanted to kick off the next gen early. Either that or they want to be always behind.