• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3DS Nintendo of America: 3DS Drops To $169.99 Come August 12 In North America

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

TeamOverload

I got it as a gift, so it dropping in price so suddenly doesn't really affect me directly. The free games deal sounds awesome though, so I'm pretty stoked for that. To be fair, I think the price drop was necessary, wonder if Nintendo is taking a hit on the hardware now, which is something they tend not to do.

ShadowmanX5

My thoughts exactly! Nintendo is normally the innovator! With the N64 it brought an analogue stick. With the DS it was new because it had 2 screens and one touch screen on a handheld, with the Wii is had motion control. All of these brought something really new but all also relied on remakes (mostly Mario or Zelda also not counting N64 lol) but with the 3DS its all been seen before, 3D is nothing really new so its mainly relying on its games which are mostly remakes an there just doesn't seem that much interest for that kind of price :\ think about it, if you had the money to choose between Xbox PS3 or 3DS which would u choose? I think its just asking too much for a handheld console so I welcome these cuts :)

Seth

MD Party Room
That pretty nice of them to give you 20 free games like that..Also I think the handled has lost it's appeal. Back in the Middle school days you need to have a gameboy color, in high school you needed a GBA and later a DS since all you did after school and during lunch is play when them. Now in collage is not so much the case :(

El Diablo

Time to put up an add on craigslist for my 3ds.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Good thing I haven't purchased one yet.

I'm actually considering getting one now because that's a real good price.

Deathrow

First of all, there is an error with your homepage. I couldn't comment on the article on the homepage, it asked me to log in when I already am logged in.

Second, you missed about half of the FULL story. Yes, Best Buy, Amazon and other retailers are having a limited sale. However, the 3DS will officially be on sale August 11th for $169 USD. For those who already own a 3DS, to make up for the money you think you lost, Nintendo has also announced 20 free titles for those already owning a 3DS. Now the list of games haven't been shown yet, but everyone is hoping for the best. I think a few were confirmed and the only one at the top of my head is Metriod Fusion. It's 10 free GBA games and 10 free NES games.

I wonder if Sony responds to this, and if they do respond, I wonder how. Price cut of their own? $220 Maybe. Free content? It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I don't think Sony needs to do anything really.

If they want to compete with it they do. Price matters, simple as that. Same thing that happened with ps3 and wii, psp and ds. Doesn't matter the difference in hardware. Average consumer, aka the biggest market, only sees price.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
PS Vita's price point is fine as it stands right now in terms of the feature set it is offering. The 3DS was only a small upgrade from the Nintendo DS and in my mind has just been another small iteration of the handheld like the Lite, DSi, and XL were. I have no problem paying $250 for a Vita, even if it was to go on sale today. I did however have a problem paying $250 for a slightly better DS

PS Vita's price point is fine as it stands right now in terms of the feature set it is offering. The 3DS was only a small upgrade from the Nintendo DS and in my mind has just been another small iteration of the handheld like the Lite, DSi, and XL were. I have no problem paying $250 for a Vita, even if it was to go on sale today. I did however have a problem paying $250 for a slightly better DS
I agree with you on every point there. I really am happy with the Vita and it's price point. Infact I've had it on pre-order since they announced the price at E3. I don't think Sony has ever tried to cheat the consumer with their hardware, they've always set a fair price point for what the consumer gets. But I'm just trying to look at it from another angle. For someone who really doesn't know the difference between the two, it's going to come down to price tag, as the DS and Wii have clearly demonstrated. I just think it's smarter for sony to maybe lower it some, not a huge $90 drop. Maybe 20, or 30. Gain a solid base, gives Sony a bigger market to sale software through, and software is where they rely on making back the money.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't really think Sony is trying to compete with the DS. The PSP/Vita attracts a different kind of consumer. If Vita at least outsells the PSP it'll probably be a win in Sony's book.

The 3DS was overpriced from the start, it should've been sub-$200 at launch. Nintendo thought it could take the Apple approach and that backfired on them.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I kinda want one now, but I know how I am with handhelds. I'm amazed for about two weeks and then slowly I stop bringing it places, then it ends up craigslist. They just can't hold my attention.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I kinda want one now, but I know how I am with handhelds. I'm amazed for about two weeks and then slowly I stop bringing it places, then it ends up craigslist. They just can't hold my attention.

Same here. I can cost justify getting one now even though it'll collect dust in my bathroom.