• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii U Nintendo Prepping December Wii U Firmware Update to Fix OS Load Times

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Wii_U_Console_and_Gamepad.jpg

As with any console launch, the Wii U hasn't been without its faults. A common complaint among early adopters is the sluggish performance of the underlying OS -- browsing across different apps is far from a snappy experience, as evidenced by the long loading times. It sounds like those woes may soon be a thing of the past, as Nintendo says it has a firmware update in the works to address the loading complaints.

The news comes courtesy of Nintendo chief Satoru Iwata on the latest segment of Nintendo Direct.

Continue reading...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This is something I hate about modern consoles - the somewhat laggy and slow interfaces. It's especially prevalent on the Xbox 360. In today's day and age of flash memory and storage and processing power we should be able to see a lot faster load times with the interfaces. It'll be interesting to see how the other next generation consoles compare (Xbox 3 / PlayStation 4) in terms of user interface responsiveness.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
While I agree 360 dash is the best console interface, it has far too many advertisements. Kind of ridiculous too when you consider how much they are already making from Live subscriptions.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I haven't liked it since NXE and Blades

And then add in the fact that 90% of the screen is ads(And if you disconnect from the internet, every tab is plastered with a giant xbox live picture instead) that have been proven to make MS shit tons of money(Which is why they made room for MORE with the recent dash update) And my dislike just grows even further.

I like the 360 itself, but the OS/Dashboard itself;at least Metro and it's futher update that added MORE ads; I despise.

The XMB is my favorite personally, because it doesn't clutter up your screen with retarded amounts of unwanted information even if you pay MS to use XBL. It's simple and straightforward like the Wii U OS and Steam's The big Picture.

It's not perfect, I could name a number of improvements to the XMB. But I still favor it a hundred times over the 360's OS. And it least they don't force you to pay 50$ a year just to use Netflix or a web browser. Even though the PS3's web browser is far from great.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a bunch of people complaining about the new PSN store and demanding that Sony update it to fix how slow it is.. It feels like it takes forever to actually load up and for information to load into the store. The old PSN Store would load up in less than 2 seconds for me and would never take long to load in information.