• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Noobie DS FAQs (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!)

Darkchild

The Doctor
Most of you will come here and ask the same questions, so here they are and the answers:

1. What is a flashcart/Linker/Cart?
It's a cartridge for the nintendo DS that can be used to run unsigned code on the DS (and depending on the product, commercial roms)
2. Which one do you recommend?
Well, there are literally loads of factors to choose one, but if you want my honest opinion, if you want them cheap buy DSTT but beware! lots of fakes around! if you want compatibility, buy a R4 or an M3 Simply. Others like acekard have real time saving but cost a bit... Though its heavilly recomended!

You just have to think what use you have for them. R4 and M3 Simply are great for homebrew the others are good for roms.
Where to download them? read bellow.
3. Where can I get ??????? game/How do you play downloaded roms?
Here's a tutorial on that :)
Edit: Got another one.
4. Is it possible to code for the DS in windows?
YES! It is also possible in other operating systems like OSX and Linux!

5. Which coding language does it use?
You can code for the DS using C/C++. Though there are some libraries which make your life easyer (Like PaLIB) but you have to have the programming environment installed.

6. How do I install it?
HERE's a good tutorial, even tells you how to install the environment in Linux and Mac Os
HERE's my tutorial on how to get it ready, easy as pie!
Note: I SERIOUSLY recommend you using PAlib! It's great for beginners and got me hooked to C programming!

7. What is DLDI?
DLDI stands for Dynamically Linked Device Interface and it is used for homebrew to access your files. Why does it exist?
Think about it! lots of people have different linkers, which work in different ways, now, DLDI was made thinking of that, what it does is tell the homebrew how to access the files in the current linker it is running from. If there is no DLDI patch on the internet for your linker, chances are it auto patches.

Note: if you use the wrong DLDI patch, don't worry, the world won't end, he'll just give you an error saying that he could not initialize the filesystem ;) just repatch it with the right one and you're good to go!
8. Which website do you recommend for ordering a cart?
www.dealextreme.com

Free shipping and low prices, what more can you ask for?

9. My cart is slow or files are corrupt! What do I do?
Are you in windows? if so!
Go to "START" > "RUN" and type > "cmd" (Press enter)
Now, type:

Code:
chkdsk /f /x X:

where X: is the letter of the drive your microSD card is in

this will check your microSD for corrupted files :)

also, when you can, format the microsd (After backing up all files ofc) by using the following command on cmd:

Code:
format x: /Q /A:64k /FS:FAT

(Again, where X: the letter of the drive where your microSD is at)

OR use THIS

10. My R4 crashes at the loading screen! What should I do?!
First, check if the R4 you have supports SDHC, and if your card is equal or bigger than 4GB, if it is, and your R4 isn't SDHC, that's your problem

Solution : Get a smaller MicroSD (2GB)
If that isn't the problem, then your card is probably a fake, and the firmware you are trying to use is incripted, if so, try going HERE
11. I don't like the R4/DSTT's Firmware and would like to use YSMenu, how do i do this?
Go HERE
12. Is there ANY other firmware for Acekard?
Why, yes, its called Akaio
Updated 23/09/09

rabbit

Awesome
Aside from a couple typos, it's a good start.

Barroom Hero

you might wanna chek that rom link again. (but did rokout like 3 times )

Thnks for the tut, im gnna get a ds this week just for something to tinker with besides my psp

Barroom Hero

nah, i KNOW youall dont support warez, honestly i didnt know what i was gnna get on the link, just didnt expect that lol :) still good tut

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
hey, DC, do you know where if Fnac sells acekard flashcarts? or where can I get?

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
they are? o.0
why? I mean, it just let's you use homebrew, it's not like it's comes with games or anything.
Another question, if they're illegal, why weren't the creators arrested? :p

Darkchild

The Doctor
I don't know, all I know is that it was banned x)
it does come with homebrew, but LETS you play commercial roms.

it's like saying you're gonna use Swap Magic for homebrew, or PSP CFW for emulators ;)

you know that wouldn't be *THE* most used functions for those ;)