• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer Nvidia Announces GeForce Titan, Leading Single GPU Performance At $1000

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
gtxtitan.jpg

Nvidia's formally announced the oft-rumored GeForce Titan, a single GPU behemoth priced at $1000. That's right, building the latest and greatest gaming PC just got more expensive, considering you can SLI up to 4 of these beasts. Still, there's definitely a market for top-end GPUs like this when you take multi-monitor and 30" displays running at 2560x1600 into account.

Judging from price alone, the Titan merely complements Nvidia's current lineup instead of replacing the GTX680, placing it side-by-side the dual GPU GTX690, which also carries a $1000 MSRP.

Continue reading...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think it goes up to 4, at least one OEM (Origin PC) announced they're offering a liquid cooled 4-way Titan setup.

There's probably not much benefit going beyond 3, though, the card to performance ratio tends to plummet.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Checked the benches and I am impressed, though $1k is overpriced still. Around $700 would be more fair. At that price it'd still be affordable to me since I can get around $350 for my used 7970. Ugh, I wish AMD was competitive. This will probably be king of the hill until late Q4, from what I've heard there will be no new high-end AMD GPU releases this year.

I kind of want to upgrade because it doesn't look like my 7970 will cut it for Crysis 3 maxed, even at 1080p. Looks like TItan is the only single GPU that can handle it.

Was looking at 7970CF but AMD's multi GPU drivers are still terrible, lots of microstuttering under heavy load Crossfire conditions. From a HardOCP review:

In the apples-to-apples test we are running at the High AA setting, which the GeForce GTX TITAN has no trouble delivering a playable experience. Now, it looks like the Radeon HD 7970 GE would be playable with its level of performance, however, the game is laggy and feels choppy despite the framerate showing what would normally be a good level for playability. The actual experience was different than the framerates show, it felt a lot slower than the framerates were showing. TITAN didn't experience this; it was perfectly smooth with no lag.

On the other hand SLI on the Nvidia side seems much improved. 2xGTX680s would cost slightly less than a Titan, though I'd still rather have a single GPU with a bit less performance that outputs less heat and is quieter.

Going to wait for now and hope the price drops like the 8800 Ultra back in the day. But with no answer from AMD I doubt it will...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Checked the benches and I am impressed, though $1k is overpriced still. Around $700 would be more fair. At that price it'd still be affordable to me since I can get around $350 for my used 7970. Ugh, I wish AMD was competitive. This will probably be king of the hill until late Q4, from what I've heard there will be no new high-end AMD GPU releases this year.

I kind of want to upgrade because it doesn't look like my 7970 will cut it for Crysis 3 maxed, even at 1080p. Looks like TItan is the only single GPU that can handle it.

Was looking at 7970CF but AMD's multi GPU drivers are still terrible, lots of microstuttering under heavy load Crossfire conditions. From a HardOCP review:

On the other hand SLI on the Nvidia side seems much improved. 2xGTX680s would cost slightly less than a Titan, though I'd still rather have a single GPU with a bit less performance that outputs less heat and is quieter.

Going to wait for now and hope the price drops like the 8800 Ultra back in the day. But with no answer from AMD I doubt it will...

I found it odd that they chose a $1000 price point for the card considering the 690 is already at that price point. Wouldn't you just want to buy a 690 at this point, better performance (although a dual GPU card). If it was, as you said $700 it would make a lot more sense. My friend actually just bought a GTX 690 - crazy to think that he spent $1000 on a GPU though.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I found it odd that they chose a $1000 price point for the card considering the 690 is already at that price point. Wouldn't you just want to buy a 690 at this point, better performance (although a dual GPU card). If it was, as you said $700 it would make a lot more sense. My friend actually just bought a GTX 690 - crazy to think that he spent $1000 on a GPU though.

Well I wouldn't buy a GTX690 now, it is overpriced as well. A poor value considering you can get SLI680 for $900, sometimes less than that if you count rebates. And there's no advantage to having dual GPU on a single card, unless you've got a small form factor PC or something.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So yeah... I ended up buying a Titan :p Hate paying the premium on a card that should be $2-300 less, but seems it'll be awhile before we see Nvidia's 7xx and AMD's 8xxx series, and I'm not entirely convinced they'll be faster than the Titan. Plus, my 7970's resale value will have diminished even more by then and I've been wanting to switch to Nvidia.

Anyway, order just shipped from Newegg and should get it Monday :) Can't wait to try it out with C3 and Metro. Might write up a review once I get the card, would like to start getting into benchmarking.

LocutusEstBorg

Get a 120Hz monitor and 3D Vision 2. Trust me, it's the best thing you'll have bought for your PC since an SSD. The Titan can handle all modern games on it.

I'm currently living on 2 meals a day to save up for a GTX 780.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I hate you. That is all. Still rocking my GTX 275 :(

PS: I had a feeling you might pull the trigger on this one