• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Obama to Lengthen School Years!

JWebster

Obama has an article that says that he wishes to lengthen school years and shorten summer time, Are you pro? con?

I, Pesonally, am con, i believe that lengthening the school year would create a mountain effect (that never falls back down) of teen pregnencies. If you have a longer school year, there is more of a chance for teens to get "lonely" and want to be more "sexually active".

Dan

Contributor
Personally, I couldn't give a shit as;

1. I live in the UK.
2. I'm in my last year anyway.

JWebster said:
If you have a longer school year, there is more of a chance for teens to get "lonely" and want to be more "sexually active".

I'm assuming you've never heard of the 'M' word.

JWebster

Um, Nope. and you wouldn't give a shit because you don't live in the US.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM EST ----------

Wait a minute, yes I know what you mean, but most teens (besides, in my opnion, boys) would not consider that.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
There's a very logical reson why the US doesn't use trimesters and schools are closed for the Summer months.

The majority of schools do not have air conditioning.

It would cost millions to outfit schools with AC to combat the heat of July and August.

JWebster

I hadn't thought of that, that is very logical.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Before I answer, could someone PLEASE fill me in on how the US educational system works?

Chathurga

Well I have to say I never expected you to list teen pregnancy as a con, one of the few times I've ever actually said wtf to something I read online.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Before I answer, could someone PLEASE fill me in on how the US educational system works?

It may have changed but from what I remember you go to school from September to June with a couple of week long breaks in between. Then you get July and August off.

ilyace

Obama has an article that says that he wishes to lengthen school years and shorten summer time, Are you pro? con?

I, Pesonally, am con, i believe that [highlight]lengthening the school year would create a mountain effect (that never falls back down) of teen pregnencies. If you have a longer school year, there is more of a chance for teens to get "lonely" and want to be more "sexually active".[/highlight]

Care to elaborate on that?

Robby

Los Doyers!
It may have changed but from what I remember you go to school from September to June with a couple of week long breaks in between. Then you get July and August off.
That is correct.

Anyways, I don't care because I'm not in school anymore xD
But if I was, I would be mad, the school year was already long as it is, plus as mentioned above, it starts to get hot and stuffy towards the end of June

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Thank you sir :)

That works exactly like our system. And how does this make people want to have more sex?

Dan

Contributor
Surely, more time at school means they have less chance to do it in the holidays, as the holidays aren't long enough.

Unless the teachers get needy...

DETENTION.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
in my opinion, we shouldn't be adding more time, but decreasing the time that is wasted.
there are really only 2 or so hours of solid learning out of the 6 you are there

Cryox

Bro.
in my opinion, we shouldn't be adding more time, but decreasing the time that is wasted.
there are really only 2 or so hours of solid learning out of the 6 you are there

Pretty true.

If Obama somehow pulls this off, I will be skipping some school days while being "sick". And so will a bunch of other kids. Summer is short enough as it is, I would rather not lose what little time is there.

Also, I am assuming that a few key facts have been left out of the OP. I take it that we (US students) will also get longer breaks during the school year. Like longer Fall/Winter/Spring Breaks, or just more random 3 day weeks.

Adiuvo

They shouldn't lengthen school years, enough time is already wasted as it is. Eliminate lunch and study hall, then let kids get out earlier, and let them eat in class. So much time is wasted doing nothing at all in school which leads to nothing but a longer day.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Study Hall - Yes. Eliminate it.

Lunch - No, students need a break. For my school at least it's only 20 minutes. At my old school, it was an hour and a half, which was a bit long, which is understandable.

I don't think he will succeed in lengthening the year. If he does it'll end up costing taxpayers a FUCKLOAD more in expenses, because schools do cost a lotttt of money, and as it is teachers are already extremely underpaid, this would just cut their salary even more.

Cryox

Bro.
Eliminate study hall? noo. That is great for me(and many others) I can do my homework, study, or sleep. In most cases it forces me to study (bored if I just sit there) which in turn helps with my grades.

And lunch is fine as it is. 45 minutes is perfect - eat for some, talk for some. It's a great break from class imo. And while most schools disallow eating in class, at my school at least, most teachers don't care, so long as the administrators don't find out.

Adiuvo

Eliminate study hall? noo. That is great for me(and many others) I can do my homework, study, or sleep. In most cases it forces me to study (bored if I just sit there) which in turn helps with my grades.

That's a personal problem though. If you need study hall to study then you need to motivate yourself more. Logically, it makes no sense to keep it.