• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Pixel Guide] House

Serideth

Welcome to another Pixel Art guide, today we will be making a house, this is more time consuming than hard but well worth it!

What you will be making:
finci9.png

Estimated time: 60 minutes.

Difficulty: //////////

Step 1:

Right, this step is nice and easy, you're only just really drawing a rectangle using the typical 2 pixel segment method. Remember to check you're happy with it's dimensions since if you do it too high or slim it could effect how well/bad your house looks.

52886349cw6.png

Step 2:

Ok, this is where we start to break away from the conventional methods of pixel art, this time we going up the left side with the 2 pixel segment method, but once you reach the top and start to go down hill on the right you're only placing one pixel at a time, this is so you get a steeper curve.

98077197el4.png

Step 3:

This time you're just echoing Step 2 a couple of times to make your arch look 3D, if you had no problems with step 2 this should be a sinch, but check the picture below to know where to place them.

65914283bm0.png

Step 4:

Once again this is a copy of step 2 and 3 but just on the other side, I'm pretty sure I just copied the layers from 2 and 3 and placed them there and removed the parts that I didn't need. As for the connecting lines they're just two standard lines, by now you shouldn't be finding these a problem at all.

54839349kw7.png

Step 5:

We're going to be doing some work on the top floor now, so draw a line down and across to decide how big you want the top floor to be (I find 60/40 works best). Once this is done you can put in some windows, now these can be as simple as drawing two boxes, but by adding a few more simple lines you can make them look great.

52587595zw5.png

Step 6:

More easy steps! Just a few more lines on the front of the house, we're trying to make this part stick out, if this makes no sense to you scroll down to see final product.

62876085yy0.png

Step 7:

Easy again, draw in a door which is just a box really. Now the roof over the sticking out wall is also simple, going across you have a standard 2 pixel set line, but when we want to go up with the lines we only use one pixel to make it look: / , this makes it look like a dipping steep slant.

27970105xe0.png

Step 8:

Once again another window, this one can be two separate small ones, or a long one, I went for long as I wanted to make it different than the upstairs.

It's all strait lines again.

60050636tc3.png

Step 9:

This step is optional, and to be honest probably the hardest to not mess up. We're putting a chimney on, this means it has to slot on to the top of the roof like: /\ - from a side angle, however since isometric pixel art looks at things from a 45 degree angle it isn't as simple as that. The best thing with this is to start from the top and work down, once you get to the bit that looks like / just try to use a mix of 1 and 2 pixel lines to make it steep, not not too steep. The picture below should help clear what I mean up.

45343716dx7.png

Step 10:

Colour it in, it's pretty big so this takes up most the time, but go for any color, I also cut off a part of the roof on the left side since I didn't like it there. Anyway here's what it should look like when coloured:

finci9.png

10rd7.png

AND DON'T STOP THERE!

Once you make one, changing the hue on the house gives you another allowing you to make your own little attached houses, add in some grass and a plant or two and it starts to shape up nicely :)

alldonegy4.png

Have fun, thanks for reading.

Moose

Meta Moose
Good stuff. I'll have a go soon and then you can add my house to that little terrace. =D

Serideth

I fixed one of the images and yeah if you make one I will, it would be awesome to make a little MfM residential area. :)

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
Wow, i really dont get how you can make this pixel art so stunning everytime O_O

whenever i attempt this it comes out looking like a total fail, though i think i might go give this a go :p

Ill post my result if it comes out okay'ish

Serideth

I'm really glad you like it :)

Post it no matter how it turns out and I red line the parts to fix for you. :)

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I might attempt this when I get a few hours, which will probbely be tommorow afternoon whilst my bro's at work. I was going to ask, do I have to follow the tutorial to make my house to post here? I was thinking of doing it in my own style. Still, nice tutorial, easy to follow instructions with pictures. Good work :tup:

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Damn, I had one hell of a day today; college, then work, 9am til 9pm. I literally havn't touched my house drawing, but I'm going to submit it anyway, because To be frank I can't be bothered anymore.

housefinal714.png

Whilst it isn't fully complete, it still took me about 4 hours on the whole to draw this from scratch. Note that included in that I had to draw the outline of the house, because I couldn't find the damn apartment thread on QJ. I don't think its the exact same size, but it'll do. Oh, that and the roof took a few attempts and about 2 and a half hours, lol. Note this was completely done in paint, top to bottom, from scratch.

Colm

That's awesome man, I'd love to be that good with pixels. I can only imagine how good the complete version would be...

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Eran said:
That's awesome man, I'd love to be that good with pixels. I can only imagine how good the complete version would be...

Lol, thanks for all the complements guys. I appreciate it. Still, feel free to point out anything that doesn't look right, or could be improved. I'd appreciate that even more. :tup: Someone else try this, it's good to pass the time if you've nothing to do. Plus, i'd be intrested in seeing the results, no matter how they turn out. Thanks :)