• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[POLL] - PS3 CFW - The end of the ps3 or just the beginning

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I guess with piracy, you only care about the stuff that effects you

Depends on the person, not everyone recycles. Not everyone litters, or saves food. Its all about what you think matters to you.

I respect the gaming industry and music industry enough to know that I dont want to pirate, but I dont respect the movie industry enough to not steal movies. I know its like a double standard but... least I have A standard as opposed to people who have none.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yea thats the name iirc. You know anything else about it? Im just curious

I think it was like you pay $10 a month and you can "Stream" games to your computer or you can buy a adapter thing(it was like $99 i think) for your TV, kinda like a console and play games on your TV. Look on youtube, they have some vids demonstrating it.

I'm pretty sure we have a couple articles about it on this site.

EDIT: Just did a quick google search and looks like they are having a sale and selling that console thing for $66 and includes a free game.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Depends on the person, not everyone recycles. Not everyone litters, or saves food. Its all about what you think matters to you.

I respect the gaming industry and music industry enough to know that I dont want to pirate, but I dont respect the movie industry enough to not steal movies. I know its like a double standard but... least I have A standard as opposed to people who have none.

I'm kinda like that. I download movies left and right, but I still rent a DVD once in awhile and I download music left and right but I do buy the albums of artists I really enjoy.

Bran

Yell
I own 30 PS3 games right now. That's not counting all the games I used to own but sold or gave away OR all the PSN games I've bought. Truthfully I don't see piracy as anything much worse for the gaming industry than renting or used games are.

It's like my computer or iPod or my DS, I tend to download games and try them out. If they are good, great I'll probably buy it. If not I'll just delete it and be glad I saved the money.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well when I say die I dont mean it in the literal term. I mean like in the... 70's? 80's? I cant remember but it was before the NES came out, gaming went on a decline to where it was almost nonexistant because of lack of interest on the part of pricing, lack of development and fun, and just an overall rehaul. I feel like that will happen again but on a slightly less grand scale

What you are referring to is the "Videogame Crash of 83 and 84" I believe.

At the time when the Atari 2600 was the biggest thing around, the ColecoVision and IntelliVision came and basically copied the exact games that the 2600 had. However, the Atari 2600 was losing developers (for some reason) related to the fact that back then, games didn't have credits to it's rivals ColecoVision and IntelliVision. This caused an over-saturation of the market and the industry nearly died. Then Nintendo created the NES came around and ressurected the industry. That's the short version though xD

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
What you are referring to is the "Videogame Crash of 83 and 84" I believe, and actually you got it all wrong.

At the time when the Atari 2600 was the biggest thing around, the ColecoVision and IntelliVision came and basically copied the exact games that the 2600 had. However, the Atari 2600 was losing developers (for some reason) related to the fact that back then, games didn't have credits to it's rivals ColecoVision and IntelliVision. This caused an over-saturation of the market and the industry nearly died. Then Nintendo created the NES came around and ressurected the industry. That's the short version though xD

How was I wrong, when I gave an even shorter version.

I wasnt trying to get specific details because this situation is different. I dont think an oversaturation of games is the near future but an oversaturation of information is.

The idea is the same, an event that will cause a death of what we know.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How was I wrong, when I gave an even shorter version.

I wasnt trying to get specific details because this situation is different. I dont think an oversaturation of games is the near future but an oversaturation of information is.

The idea is the same, an event that will cause a death of what we know.

Forget it I read wrong -.- Lemme edit my post.

I apologize......... xD

On-topic: I actually stopped caring about HB vs. Piracy very recentely. I have a clean conscience because I will use CFW for some homebrew but keep all my gaming legit. If everyone is responsible then the backlash won't be as bad.

/me ends wishful thinking

LocutusEstBorg

The PS3 is not going to be remotely affected by piracy; Just like the 360 isn't affected. I just bought a PS3 now after the PSJailbreak hack. I wouldn't even own one otherwise.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
The PS3 is not going to be remotely affected by piracy; Just like the 360 isn't affected. I just bought a PS3 now after the PSJailbreak hack. I wouldn't even own one otherwise.

Im confused. You refused to buy a PS3 unless it could be jailbroken, and you JUST bought one even though decent and legit homebrew wont be around for while? So its obvious you never intended to buy a PS3 for playing games... and seemingly you didnt buy one for homebrew... so...

Sounds like your hiding the fact that you pirate games like a hawk.

LocutusEstBorg

Im confused. You refused to buy a PS3 unless it could be jailbroken, and you JUST bought one even though decent and legit homebrew wont be around for while? So its obvious you never intended to buy a PS3 for playing games... and seemingly you didnt buy one for homebrew... so...

Sounds like your hiding the fact that you pirate games like a hawk.
That's what I was implying. But I haven't started yet, so I'm still technically innocent. I bought only ONE game: Rock Band 3. Because I play it often and cant keep a borrowed game forever. And I got GoW III free with the PS3. I borrowed and played all the other games I wanted.

Surprisingly after the 4 or so years that the PS3 has been out, there were just 5 or 6 games I wanted to play. Can't even think of anything I'm looking forward to other than KZ3, which again someone I know with a PS3 will definitely buy and I'll borrow. I may not even need to pirate anything. The PS3 being hacked doesn't affect Sony in any measurable way.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
That's what I was implying. But I haven't started yet, so I'm still technically innocent. I have only ONE game: Rock Band 3. I borrowed and played the other games I wanted.

Surprisingly after the 4 or so years that the PS3 has been out, there were just 5 or 6 games I wanted to play.

You know, youre a really terrible person and your family should turn their back to you for the kind of dishonor you have brought into their household.

LocutusEstBorg

You know, youre a really terrible person and your family should turn their back to you for the kind of dishonor you have brought into their household.

You need to come here and see how every console sold is pre-modded. There are people who don't even know that the games they are buying are pirated and have consoles without owning even a single original game. No Piracy = No Console is a basic fact of life in many places. Doesn't matter if it's illegal or immoral since it doesn't affect the company.

Alex

Who are you to say that?!

That comment was way below the belt dude

LocutusEstBorg

Who are you to say that?!

That comment was way below the belt dude

I don't take offense.

And to support my argument I've had people calling me to find out if they should buy a PS3 now. I can tell you they're gonna sell a crapload of PS3s over here now that it's hacked, and they're making a profit on the hardware now unlike before.

Alex

I don't take offense.

And to support my argument I've had people calling me to find out if they should buy a PS3 now. I can tell you they're gonna sell a crapload of PS3s over here now that it's hacked, and they're making a profit on the hardware now unlike before.

I would take serious offence to that comment. I've never been judged like that before.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You need to come here and see how every console sold is pre-modded. There are people who don't even know that the games they are buying are pirated and have consoles without owning even a single original game. No Piracy = No Console is a basic fact of life in many places. Doesn't matter if it's illegal or immoral since it doesn't affect the company.

Im pretty sure piracy affects everyone on the grandscale of things, nothing in this world goes without affect. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean its not there.