• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS Jailbreak Retailers Hit With Injunction

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps3_slim_black_backgound.png

As one would expect, Sony has not taken kindly to the recent announcement of the PS Jailbreak, filing a temporary injunction to prevent any sale of the device across Australian retailers.

Until the legal mumbo-jumbo clears up, Aussie retailers have been forced to issue refunds on pre-orders, as all stock has been surrendered to Sony's legal team for further review[...]

Continue reading: PS Jailbreak Retailers Hit With Injunction...

Hellcat

Contributor
Mooh.

It's been semi-out for too long, it's been dumped and reversed.
There will be clones comming from everywhere and nothing Sony can do about it - well, almost nothing as this will be fixed with the next FW update.

So it's like the OtherOS story: keep using this and loose PSN and eventually future games, or update and loose this.

El Diablo

It allows unsigned code to be run, the way anything on any system has always done, which eventually will lead to people creating homebrew and other things for it to run.

The thing I'm not understanding though is what exactly is Sonys legal basis for suing and taking these companies to court? x3 mentioned in the post that it was an IP nightmare for Sony. Is Sony trying to take them to court saying that developing a USB dongle to enable debug mode is their IP and no one else can make one? I for one can't see that being an easy case to win, especially if none of the code or anything used in the PSJailbreak was stolen from them (which I have to ask, where exactly did the rumor start with people accusing PSJailbreak to have to have stolen this from Sony to make it?).

El Diablo

Was there ever any actual proof or legitimate reasoning behind that? All I remember is once the device was announced comments were either "Fake" or "they stole it" but I never read anything actually giving any "proof" as to one or the other (stolen/leaked or not).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
x3 mentioned in the post that it was an IP nightmare for Sony.

Mathieulh stated earlier that the backup manager, available to download from PS Jailbreak's official site, was compiled with a leaked 1.92 SDK. Although yet to be determined, chances are other files on the dongle itself are as well.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/37e92k

That being said, even if Sony succeeds in blocking the sale of PS Jailbreak units there's little doubt that another variant/clone will fill the void. Look at the R4.

El Diablo

What exactly happened with the R4? I see this being compared to that a lot of places but I don't know much about the DS scene. Although when I go to websites for flashcarts they always have R4s for sale (although everyone says they are clones) did Nintendo stop them from selling/producing them for a while?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What exactly happened with the R4? I see this being compared to that a lot of places but I don't know much about the DS scene. Although when I go to websites for flashcarts they always have R4s for sale (although everyone says they are clones) did Nintendo stop them from selling/producing them for a while?

Nintendo won a similar case against the R4 in the UK. Yet it hasn't really stopped retailers from selling flash carts as there's so many other brands.

The websites you mention are probably based in China, there's no ban on any carts there.

El Diablo

Yeah I'm not sure where they are from or if they are real R4s but I see a lot of websites advertise them.