• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Ps3 CFW - a real reality?

january39

eXo Staff
I have not been following to closely but i am aware that the PS3 can now run a true CFW; is this correct?

How stable is it? a quick google search has revealed that there are 2-3 CFW's but some are not so stable and can brick your ps3

Can PSN be used? and what FW's are required to make the conversion.

Any tips would be gratefully received

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I am using GeoHot's CFW because of no piracy on it. I have full HB access, PSN and all that good stuff.

january39

eXo Staff
When you say piracy you mean ISO support? There are other CFW's then?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
When you say piracy you mean ISO support? There are other CFW's then?

Yup. GeoHot's CGW blocks some backup managers though there are ways to get them working if you know where to look. I don't use the other CFW's because they are more likely to brick your PS3, like Waninoko's that bricked 60gb PS3s

El Diablo

I upgraded to kmeacs 3.55 cfw on my 60 gig fat and had no troubles other than a couple freezes at first. Easy to install, no brick, back up support and pan access.

january39

eXo Staff
I have a slim as well and it is on 3.55... I need to look into this, i certainly do not want to brick it.

Seems PSN access is easily achieved though, is it possible to restore back to OFW i.e. 3.55 (assumed possible on higher update)

Any guides around for conversion?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems PSN access is easily achieved though, is it possible to restore back to OFW i.e. 3.55 (assumed possible on higher update)

You never lose PSN access on the first place an Sony doesn't seem to be banning anyone. Not even trophy hackers

january39

eXo Staff
Where can i find the files i need - I have located waninko's but fearful of a brick, if there are others i could use i would prefer that

B

Bizarre

Ah yes, I heard of that one. Thought you meant one that can sync.

El Diablo

Like I said before I'm using Kmeaw CFW and it's working perfectly (spelled it wrong before >.>). http://psx-scene.com/forums/f187/cf...will-you-do-your-ps3-jailbreak-dongles-76406/ has a great guide for intalling both Kmeaws and Wutangrzas CFWs which are the 2 best out there right now. Wainikos was the one with all of the bricks (only fats though so you would probably be fine anyway).

In addition to those 2 main ones, Hermes released a 3.41 CFW today using his payload from the jailbreaks. He tested it on a few ps3s but I haven't read much about it yet to know if it's as safe as the other 2 or not so I would recommend sticking to those 2 for now.

As for going back to original firmware, that thread also has a guide for going back to other firmwares and from what I understand you can just boot up into recovery mode with the CFW and install the OFW 3.55 update from there and be back. If not, there's also downgraders (although they might still require dongles) which I believe are working now without losing BR movie support, or at least a way to get it back.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah there's a couple of CFWs out there that are good now. Just stay away from Wank's and you should be good and they allow backups to be played.

january39

eXo Staff
Like I said before I'm using Kmeaw CFW and it's working perfectly (spelled it wrong before >.>). http://psx-scene.com/forums/f187/cf...will-you-do-your-ps3-jailbreak-dongles-76406/ has a great guide for intalling both Kmeaws and Wutangrzas CFWs which are the 2 best out there right now. Wainikos was the one with all of the bricks (only fats though so you would probably be fine anyway).

In addition to those 2 main ones, Hermes released a 3.41 CFW today using his payload from the jailbreaks. He tested it on a few ps3s but I haven't read much about it yet to know if it's as safe as the other 2 or not so I would recommend sticking to those 2 for now.

As for going back to original firmware, that thread also has a guide for going back to other firmwares and from what I understand you can just boot up into recovery mode with the CFW and install the OFW 3.55 update from there and be back. If not, there's also downgraders (although they might still require dongles) which I believe are working now without losing BR movie support, or at least a way to get it back.

Thanks Mate - spot on. I have been cruising PS3hacks which seems to cover a lot of stuff.

This feels alot like when i first started hacking the PSP...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thanks Mate - spot on. I have been cruising PS3hacks which seems to cover a lot of stuff.

This feels alot like when i first started hacking the PSP...

I believe this is easier though

paliyati

i have been reading this thing about ps3 hacks, and got several questions...would be really helpfull if sum1 can answer (though some may seem stupid, since i just got a second-handed PS3 from my brother, and im still newbie about ps3):

1. does the CFW are the same as PSP's?? means, we can play games using downloaded iso/cso, not just from normal discs(wic are very expensive!)?
2. the links that u posted above seem to failed..can u give sumthing similar?
3. i'm still quite shocked here, cus when my bro want to giv me the ps3, im afraid i cant afford to buy those expensive DISCs...
thanx in advance.

TeamOverload

i have been reading this thing about ps3 hacks, and got several questions...would be really helpfull if sum1 can answer (though some may seem stupid, since i just got a second-handed PS3 from my brother, and im still newbie about ps3):

1. does the CFW are the same as PSP's?? means, we can play games using downloaded iso/cso, not just from normal discs(wic are very expensive!)?
2. the links that u posted above seem to failed..can u give sumthing similar?
3. i'm still quite shocked here, cus when my bro want to giv me the ps3, im afraid i cant afford to buy those expensive DISCs...
thanx in advance.
No one is going to help you with blatant piracy here. Not to mention if the PS3 has been connected to the internet, it's most likely updated, meaning you won't be able to use any of the CFWs.

El Diablo

Seriously, there's a website in my post. If you want to pirate your games that badly then go to websites, do you research and figure out how to do it yourself like I did. I'm not going to hold your hand for you and give you free games, especially when you can't even be bothered to use proper grammar.

Plus I sold my ps3 so I don't know what's going on with them anymore anyway.