• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked by Geohot

Hellcat

Contributor
Oooohhhh, homebrew would be so sweet :love:

I hope - for any reason - piracy will be mostly out of the question as that would REALLY hurt it....
But homebrew, hacks (as in mods) and stuff.... YEAH!

Whisper

Logic :(
From what I have gathered making an ISO loader for the ps3 is extremely difficult. Hopefully that will slow down piracy and put an emphasis on other projects.

Moose

Meta Moose
This is certainly very impressive. I'm looking forward to see what will come of this other than a backup loader, obviously.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Holy Cow o.o

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Sony is readying the PSN banhammer as we speak.

From what I've heard of geoHot this shouldn't lead to piracy... But I'd like the PS2 emu to be unlocked so I can play legit PS2 games on my PS3

Cloudy

It's people like him who ruin it for everyone who is legit in these matters. (making companies create DRM's that interfere which, in turn, drives up costs) It's nice he has skills and can do things like this, but why give it to all the criminals out there? Just to make a name for himself? :tdown:

If that's all he's out for he should be locked up so he can waste his life away in there (and this kind of thing contributes to ruining other lives in the long run, Sony Employees game companies who will lose money over this) or he should actually be using his talents for something useful, (CIA, DEA, etc.) not hacking a PS3 and giving the information over the net so douches can use it to do piracy and other illegal acts.

I mean to all those who say it'll be nice to make and use their own themes... you can do that... Free PS3 Themes and PS3 Themes Editor | PS3Vault
Unless you mean... like completely revamp the way it works altogether.

The PS3 has had three years without any type of piracy. Compare that to the other two consoles. And your point is because he opened the door (if, indeed anything does come of this) to homebrew, that he is responsible for any piracy that comes of it.

Like anything, homebrew can be used for good, and for bad. And you stating that he should use his skills for other uses - how do you know that he doesn't? You know nothing of his personal life and chances are is that he is employed to do this kind of stuff (or other low level hardware things) on a commercial basis.

So please, don't tar everyone with the same brush and assume he is not "legit". He has stated that he has no interest in an ISO loader himself.

Sony is readying the PSN banhammer as we speak.

Unlikely. It doesn't work the same way as the XBOX - and not to mention, if you have code that can run you can spoof out any sort of checks that Sony do. The reason that XBOX users get banned is because they can't patch out checks (yet - they do have dashboard running code now) that check the DVD Drive firmware.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
To hell with piracy! I just want to see some nice HD custom themes! :D

Either way, how could we get a 20-30gb game onto a DVD-R (without having 5 discs)?

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
What would be the point then? Blu-Ray R discs and the cost of a blu ray burner are damn expensive. It would be cheaper just to buy the games.

Adiuvo

They aren't that expensive anymore.

X3 is right though. People won't have qualms about downloading large files. I really can't see much good coming out of this. It seems like most of the PSP scene will transfer over to the PS3, and we all knew where that ended up.

eldiablov

Contributor
This should be great. All the previous generation consoles (maybe not the xbox) should be emulatable. (spelling? :p)

Dreamcast, Gamecube, Sega Saturn, PS2 (For those with no BC). I dont see how this could possibly be a bad thing for the consumer.

EDIT: Cheating on PSN. Shit.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
This should be great. All the previous generation consoles (maybe not the xbox) should be emulatable. (spelling? :p)

Dreamcast, Gamecube, Sega Saturn, PS2 (For those with no BC). I dont see how this could possibly be a bad thing for the consumer.

EDIT: Cheating on PSN. Shit.

Oh well, I'll take some bad online so I can play Conquer's Bad Fur Day and PilotWings 64 again with a decent controller :D

Adiuvo

Oh well, I'll take some bad online so I can play Conquer's Bad Fur Day and PilotWings 64 again with a decent controller :D

It's not bad online, it's unusable online. The only reason Sony was able to curb it was due to the CFW versions not being up to date.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Awesome

EDIT: how do we know this isn't BS?

GeoHot is a trusted and respected hacker/developper (whatever you want to call him). If he says he's got one working, he's got one.

It's not bad online, it's unusable online. The only reason Sony was able to curb it was due to the CFW versions not being up to date.

Oh well. Some things in life are inevitable in life. Let's face it, it was bound to happen eventually.

eldiablov

Contributor
Yeah, I've just been exposed to the reality of what he has done.

Basically it involves a load of other hardware at the moment and we may not be seeing a software exploit in the immediate future.

But hey, it's a start.

Adiuvo

Oh well. Some things in life are inevitable in life. Let's face it, it was bound to happen eventually.

That's no excuse. The same thing can be used to defend anything.

It doesn't need to be released, and by not releasing it the PS3 can continue to be relatively cheater free.