• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked using official controller

Nick

well, that day has come. today, a user by the name of Hasuky from elotrolado forums was able to sucessfully hack his ps3 using a Dualshock3 controller. Here is his post (spanish). He was able to Port PSGroove onto his contoller, and was able to keep the controller working well for gameplay. Unfortunately, a tutorial hasent been released YET. Hasuky is planning on releasing a tutorial tomorrow, once the tutorial is released, i will post it here. However, he has told us that some soldering will be required in order for PSGroove to be flashed onto the controller. Here is an englsh translation of his post on the forums. And below, you will see a proof of concept. i must say, i am really exited :)
[video=youtube;0xRcO4GrUhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRcO4GrUhg[/video]

-----EDIT-----
alright guys! its here! here is a tutorial (in english) on how to mod the SIXXAXIS/DUALSHOCK3 controller to hack your ps3. there will be some soldering required, however. im going to get going on this right away! :D

Hellcat

Contributor
Why does this sound fakey?
How did he put a new FW onto the Sony controller?

Not really believing this unless I see the promised howto and got confirmed it works....

january39

eXo Staff
Yeah, i was not aware it had any space to flash anything too, although i would happily be proved wrong :)

Riorio99

I think some guys from the same forum proved a while ago that the DualShock had some read/write eeprom or something that could write to the PS3 if required. Could possibly be used by Sony to install the update that activates the Force Feedback I suppose, but it could have any number of other uses, may also be used for service mode in Sony repair centres. Either way, it's a pretty cool hack, but Sony are going to come down on this like a ton of bricks. No Dual Shocks are going to have this in the near future.

january39

eXo Staff
I think some guys from the same forum proved a while ago that the DualShock had some read/write eeprom or something that could write to the PS3 if required. Could possibly be used by Sony to install the update that activates the Force Feedback I suppose, but it could have any number of other uses, may also be used for service mode in Sony repair centres. Either way, it's a pretty cool hack, but Sony are going to come down on this like a ton of bricks. No Dual Shocks are going to have this in the near future.

I can believe there is some kind of EEprom, but big enough to hold all the files for psgroove? If it is real it is a damn smart hack

Dan

Contributor
Seems like too much hassle, I'd rather just buy a board. A good breakthrough nonetheless.

Hellcat

Contributor
it doesnt seem like its an actual port of the PSGroove onto the PS3 controller. Its more of installing a PIC inside the PS3 controller and wiring it to the USB port.
'nuff said.

There is no awesomeness in this, and this is no "breakthrough" at all this isn't actually hacking the PS3 controller, it's just using the PS3 controller as a "case mod" for an USB AVR.

It is very much the same thing as buying one of the teensy++ and similar boards, nothing else, just a "Sixaxis case" around it.

january39

eXo Staff
It is very much the same thing as buying one of the teensy++ and similar boards, nothing else, just a "Sixaxis case" around it.

Except quite a bit harder to set up, still would look better than the Teensy board, lol

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Can someone please explain the difference between hacking something and not?

I keep hearing opposing sides of arguments saying that this PS3 hack business isnt even really a hack, hellcat is saying this current port isnt a hack. Etc, etc.

What the fuck is the difference? It all seems suggestive to me as a word.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Can someone please explain the difference between hacking something and not?

I keep hearing opposing sides of arguments saying that this PS3 hack business isnt even really a hack, hellcat is saying this current port isnt a hack. Etc, etc.

What the fuck is the difference? It all seems suggestive to me as a word.

The way that the PS controller was done there wasn't really any software hacking, it was a hardware modification. Hasuky basically just took one of the USB based PSgroove boards and wired it up to the USB port.

It's comparable to putting a SNES motherboard into a xbox 360 then claiming you made your 360 play SNES games.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I get that but can you define for me what the hell "hacking" really is then when referring to software?

Making software that inserts or changes code in a file or process that will alter how it behaves.

That's my opinion on it at least. I think we need another SilverSpring definition.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Doesnt PSPGroove and the rest just put the PS3 into debug mode? Wouldnt that declassify the whole thing as a hack?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Doesnt PSPGroove and the rest just put the PS3 into debug mode? Wouldnt that declassify the whole thing as a hack?

I'm no expert on how PSGroove works but from what I understand, it works via emulating a USB hub and causes an overflow which is then used to set it to debug. The way it sets the console to debug mode is 'hacky'.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I'm no expert on how PSGroove works but from what I understand, it works via emulating a USB hub and causes an overflow which is then used to set it to debug. The way it sets the console to debug mode is 'hacky'.

Doesnt sound like a hack at all, just sounds like an exploit

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Care to say what you consider a hack and an exploit?

Not really sure, im not an expert on the matter but if it appears both are suggestive so... according to how you defined it an exploit would be more along of finding a screw up in the system and manipulating it to your advantage - although, in some ways I guess a hack is the exact same thing.

So its all really relative on the person