• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 Linux :)

Seth

MD Party Room
Since your asking this... Ubuntu.

What the hell do you even plan to do with Linux on your ps3.

Sinfulfate

Since your asking this... Ubuntu.

What the hell do you even plan to do with Linux on your ps3.
Probably play Marvel vs Capcom and D&D Shadow Over Mystara.

I use Gentoo and it works fine for me. Some people say its hard to install but as long as your good at following directions you should be ok.

Hellcat

Contributor
I have OpenSuse on my PS3 and it works like a charm :)

About what one would do with Linux on the PS3.... same as with Linux on a PC?
I have the PSPSDK installed on it, an UnrealIRCd + Services, Apache, MySQL, Subversion.... the whole nine yards :D

Currently my PS3 spends 80% of it's time running Linux :D

RoBz

sucker
I have OpenSuse on my PS3 and it works like a charm :)

About what one would do with Linux on the PS3.... same as with Linux on a PC?
I have the PSPSDK installed on it, an UnrealIRCd + Services, Apache, MySQL, Subversion.... the whole nine yards :D

Currently my PS3 spends 80% of it's time running Linux :D
So you pretty much use it as a server?
That's a pretty decent use for it, you might be a bit tight on ram. Although you couldn't really use it as a server properly unless you left it on in linux all the time. and hence no PS3 games D:

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
That's a pretty decent use for it, you might be a bit tight on ram. Although you couldn't really use it as a server properly unless you left it on in linux all the time. and hence no PS3 games D:

I ran an Xubuntu(Only livecd I had handy) apache/php/ssh/ftp/vnc(vino)/samba/etcetc server that had some 328 or so mb of ram and that thing was/is really quick.

Linux is really nice with ram. Especially with the beastly processor the PS3 has.

Hellcat

Contributor
Well, I use it for almost everything :D
The server processes (apache, MySQL and w/e) are mostly for development, trying out the stuff on it. Or just for fun, for the sake of just having it :D
Of course I also have all the usual small things on it as well, like IRC client and whatever else one needs on a regular basis :)

It could have some more ram though, indeed, 256MB is a bit short for a recent Linux distro.... well, but it works :)
And if I want to play a game I just type "boot-game-os" :cool:

Hardrive

Contributor
Well, I use it for almost everything :D
The server processes (apache, MySQL and w/e) are mostly for development, trying out the stuff on it. Or just for fun, for the sake of just having it :D
Of course I also have all the usual small things on it as well, like IRC client and whatever else one needs on a regular basis :)

It could have some more ram though, indeed, 256MB is a bit short for a recent Linux distro.... well, but it works :)
And if I want to play a game I just type "boot-game-os" :cool:

But then your server goes down, which blows.

RoBz

sucker
Ah yeah fair enough. I've always wondered what the PS3 was like on power consumption, anyone have any insight on this?

Hellcat

Contributor
IIRC the older (PS2 games capable) ones can suck up to 250W.

The newer ones should be around 150W-200W.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So what is the best distro after all? I just upgraded my PS3 to 250GB and I'm curious :p

Adiuvo

Xubuntu is pretty good, as well as Gentoo. Also try YDL, it's the easiest to install.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What about linux small sdtv compatiblilty?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Then I'll just wait until I get a decent small HDTV.. :p

Hellcat

Contributor
Text will be very difficult to read on any distro in that case.
Hmm, can't confitm that.
Text is as readable on SDTV as it is on any PC in textmode, just that there doesn't fit much text on one screen at once due to the limited resolution.

I used Linux quite a while on SDTV while my PS3 was at my ex-GF's place.