• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 *might* outsell the Wii in Japan for 2009 next week

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems our japanese buddies are crazy over the PS3 right now and this is reflected in the sales numbers:

Wii : 1,012,924

PS3 :1,006,810

360 :284,943

At the rate sales have been going, next week the PS3 will outsell the Wii for 2009 (even if barely and temporarly). These were the weekly sales for this past week in Japan according to Famitsu:

* DSi – 44,000
* PSP – 40,000
* PS3 – 31,000
* Wii – 25,000
* DS Lite – 3,700
* Xbox 360 – 2,800
* PS2 – 2,600

What do you think are the reasons for this turnabout in sales? Do you think this will force Nintendo to come up with some better software? (hardware-wise they've lost their mind apparently with the announcement of the new DS XL)

Colm

Nintendo: About to fail. Failed to diversify and aimed completely for "casual" gamers. Now trying to hold this market share (and unsuccessfully) by releasing new hardware like Vitality Sensor and the LL. Will quit the console race early with highest overall sales, will use this money to release an early console with more gimmicks, and more stupidity overall. My guess? They're going to team up with Emotiv :p

Sony: Got the Japanese market under control and is going to dominate the UK market in Christmas sales. Not sure about US. Got a lot of strong releases like Uncharted 2 on their side along side multiplatforms like Modern Warfare 2. Will have a sales EXPLOSION on FFXIII release date in Japan (similar to the Monster Hunter Unite release on PSP) despite the fact I don't think that'll be a good game. Going to steal Nintendo's market share with next year's Eye Motion camera and new casual stuff like the EyePet. Who knows, they might even start advertising HOME and see if that pulls anyone in.

Microsoft: Got the US market under control and will dominate Christmas sales there, even without decent exclusives (ODST counts for nothing). Will be competitive in UK, because of its strong back catalog. Not going to bother with Japan.

PC: Sales boost with windows 7, aiming mostly for hardcore gamers. Don't rule it out yet.

user friendly

Microsoft: Got the US market under control and will dominate Christmas sales there, even without decent exclusives (ODST counts for nothing). Will be competitive in UK, because of its strong back catalog. Not going to bother with Japan.

Software = without a doubt
Hardware = will be close

EDIT

Fuck, just edited over my original post..... too lazy to retype it :/

EDIT2

I think it has a lot to do with the Wii reaching the saturation point of this new market they created.

I sort of expected this. Sony was the one which banked most on future potential, and is now coming to fruition. The Wii looks like it's going to fade into casual-oblivion, embracing gimmicky hardware and software. I expect very strong growth for both Xbox\PS3, considering the potential on new game developments. Also looks like developers are now starting to fully leverage the power of these consoles, namely the PS3 with Uncharted 2, etc.

PC will continue pretty much as it is, perhaps with some unwelcome simplifications. (*cough* Infinity Ward *cough*)

Colm

IWnet is seen as a mistake, won't make it to non Acti games. Hell, it won't catch on within Acti, Blizz wouldn't kill mods..

Adiuvo

Sony will win over Japan in the long haul, and looking at the sales numbers it will probably be at the end of this year or early next. Nintendo hasn't kept any customers and given the low feedback for the Wii it probably won't gain any more either.

Also, Nintendo's hardware wil be it's undoing. While the whole 'motion sensing' fad got the Wii into the high sales bracket, it's old now. Such casual gamers are probably looking to more new things, and the Wii hardware is just simply, boring. The Vitality Sensor, is a heartrate monitor...

Software-wise is also a concern for Nintendo. The Wii was not planned for sustained usage, the limited NAND and update system for one. Developer's can't even patch thier games.

Joey

This might have something to do with the fact that everybody in Japan bought a Wii two years ago. There's nobody left to sell them to.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I was about to say what Joey said, everyone in Japan basically has a Wii already.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They need to come out with a Wii HD. Same games but with a better graphics card to render the games in full 1080p. You can already do this with the Dolphin emulator and games like Mario Galaxy look fantastic.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Nintendo: About to fail. Failed to diversify and aimed completely for "casual" gamers. Now trying to hold this market share (and unsuccessfully) by releasing new hardware like Vitality Sensor and the LL. Will quit the console race early with highest overall sales, will use this money to release an early console with more gimmicks, and more stupidity overall. My guess? They're going to team up with Emotiv :p

Sony: Got the Japanese market under control and is going to dominate the UK market in Christmas sales. Not sure about US. Got a lot of strong releases like Uncharted 2 on their side along side multiplatforms like Modern Warfare 2. Will have a sales EXPLOSION on FFXIII release date in Japan (similar to the Monster Hunter Unite release on PSP) despite the fact I don't think that'll be a good game. Going to steal Nintendo's market share with next year's Eye Motion camera and new casual stuff like the EyePet. Who knows, they might even start advertising HOME and see if that pulls anyone in.

PC: Sales boost with windows 7, aiming mostly for hardcore gamers. Don't rule it out yet.

You mean the Japanese console is dominating Japan and the American console is dominating America!?

Thank you Mr. Obvious.