• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[PS3] [RUMOR] service mode hack

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
PS3 Service Mode Details - PS3HaX Network - PS3 Hacks

Is this real.

Over the months there has been a lot of inaccurate information circulating in regards to how exactly the PlayStation 3's Service Mode works, and as promised in our previous Dev updates here are some of the facts to help separate the rumors and speculation.

It is a fairly simple process as follows.. For starters, the PS3 is powered off, and a special USB dongle, known as the Jig, is connected. The PS3 is then turned on, and then off, once it has detected the Jig.

After this occurs, the PS3 is then turned back on, into "Service" Mode. From here, the PS3 is re-flashed using a Firmware Update on a USB stick, specifically designed to only install from the Service Mode. Once the PS3 is re-flashed with the software, it is then used in conjunction with a PC running customized software, specifically the DEX.exe and CEX.exe's.

There are a multitude of special PS3 firmwares, basically three major ones. The first is a Core System, followed by the Service System, then finishing it off with the Final Software.. usually Retail.

From the CEX/DEX PC side software, just about anything can be done: Copying, transfer and resigning of box-specific items like PSN games, user profiles, etc.

Furthermore, the systems can be re-flashed to any software version as well. The system's keys can also be "rearranged", such as the marrying of the PS3's BD-ROM Drive (or controller) with the mainboard. Needless to say, this can do a lot more than a simple "Recovery Menu", as it can change firmware and more.

Over the last few months we have also compared the flash dumps (pictured below) done by our very own courier of a PS3 in Service Mode with a Retail (and a Debug) and found that the systems are primarily alike, however the Bootloader 1 of the Service Mode PS3 differs than that of the other systems. Work is still being done by the resident PS3 Devs in trying to pinpoint exactly why this is the case.

Very interesting indeed, hopefully this can end confusion being caused on how the PS3 accesses service mode. We will keep you updated on future progress.

Is it me or does that sound exactly like psp and pandora battery just without the battery part

are they serious and is this really real.

Post your opinion the source is at the top.

Sounds fake. They took the Pandora concepts and applied it to the PS3. Additionally, the supplied image looks fake as well. Theirs very little evidence too, they show a screenshot of two files and a PS3 with a custom wallpaper...

Hellcat

Contributor
That pic really looks fake.
Why would there be such a red notice of service mode?
Why would it be running normal FW in service mode?

Hardrive

Contributor
Nothing from PS3Hax has ever been true. Additionally, they source the exploit files as "DEX.exe and CEX.exe". No way does Sony abandon the eboot and use .exe files.

I call BS.

twelve

I'm not dead
Nothing from PS3Hax has ever been true. Additionally, they source the exploit files as "DEX.exe and CEX.exe". No way does Sony abandon the eboot and use .exe files.

I call BS.

"it is then used in conjunction with a PC running customized software, specifically the DEX.exe and CEX.exe"

Who says they've abandoned the eboot? All they said was that a PC is running two .exe files.

But that's irrelevant, if it was real why wouldn't they have released it? Every person with a computer has a USB stick that they could use to try it out and confirm it was real.

Then there's the picture. I'm gonna knock up a Black background with a fake wave and a red box then we can all pretend that we've got into service mode. We can even go over to PS3Hax and post them just to call their bluff.

Moose

Meta Moose
Someone should create a well-done shooped image and post in on PS3Hax and claim they too have found the exploit... just for fun. If they can do it, why can't we?

twelve

I'm not dead
We should write up a method too. Something like turn it on and off 3 times, set this picture as your background and congrats ur in the PS3Hax service mode.

JaX3RiR

Let me see what I can cook up... may not be anything amazing, but I'll try my best. :p

I would call this news bullshit, but when it's coming from PS3Hax it's going to be BULLSHIT!

I'm anxiously waiting what you have in store for them ;D

Vee

I've heard that if you remove your HDD and fart inside, it'll enter recovery mode.

Not really, but that seems more realistic then that explanation.

Moose

Meta Moose
Ok, so this is what I have so far... I'm sure someone can make up some story about why the icons aren't there and I added an 'ID' in the top-left corner for more authenticity. ;)

Here's what I have (needs a lot of work, especially the wave...):

ps3lolap1.png

What d'ya think? Obviously it isn't real and I'm not too great at Photoshop, but I think if they will believe the PS3Hax story, then they might believe this.

EDIT: I'm thinking of leaving the other icons in... it didn't occur to me that they were there in the PS3Hax image.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
It sounded stupid but wanted to know if its real or not.

So far i see everyone thinks its bs but im waiting to hear what freeplay has to say.

Chathurga

I fail to see how FreePlay will bring anything new to this. It's fake until proven real beyond doubt, which can't be done unless it's put into our hands and for some reason I can't see that happening.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
I fail to see how FreePlay will bring anything new to this. It's fake until proven real beyond doubt, which can't be done unless it's put into our hands and for some reason I can't see that happening.

It just seems as though he has inside knowledge on most things psp and ps3 related.

Vee

Ok, so this is what I have so far... I'm sure someone can make up some story about why the icons aren't there and I added an 'ID' in the top-left corner for more authenticity. ;)

Here's what I have (needs a lot of work, especially the wave...):

[qimg]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9959/ps3lolap1.png[/qimg]

What d'ya think? Obviously it isn't real and I'm not too great at Photoshop, but I think if they will believe the PS3Hax story, then they might believe this.

EDIT: I'm thinking of leaving the other icons in... it didn't occur to me that they were there in the PS3Hax image.
Looks good, but the Red Square doesn't look like its apart of the interface. Its probably the emboss. Besides that, good accuracy.