• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN DRM Potentially Cracked

TeamOverload

Without posting links to the content, or going into too much discussion, it would seem as though the DRM that has been used and "uncrackable" for several years now (save for the few titles that didn't include this security), has been cracked. Recently, a release of Dead Nation has appeared online that has managed to strip out this security through a custom title update which is installed on top of the game. This would of course, lead one to believe that several PSN titles and potentially even DLC may meet the same fate. Thoughts?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Sony will go bankrupt!!!111 *insert jelly arms*

TeamOverload

Well, I'm not talking about Sony as much, as the smaller developers who post their content on PSN and who might get hurt quite a bit from this.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Without posting links to the content, or going into too much discussion, it would seem as though the DRM that has been used and "uncrackable" for several years now (save for the few titles that didn't include this security), has been cracked. Recently, a release of Dead Nation has appeared online that has managed to strip out this security through a custom title update which is installed on top of the game. This would of course, lead one to believe that several PSN titles and potentially even DLC may meet the same fate. Thoughts?
wow, this is...bad, company's are going to have to start using much stronger drm, which could hamper legitimate owners
i can't believe how far the ps3 has fallen

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Well, I'm not talking about Sony as much, as the smaller developers who post their content on PSN and who might get hurt quite a bit from this.

Mmmm, I won't be surprised if a load of game DLC becomes 360 exclusive for a while. (Not that you can't download that so long as you download the profile attached to it)

Dan

Contributor
Oh, what the actual fuck.

images

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I can imagine indie developers will get hit hard by this. What makes matters worse is there's no legitimate method of purchasing PSN titles for those on CFW. It seems you have two options: don't play PSN titles, or pirate.

TeamOverload

Well you can still connect to PSN with some workarounds, so those determined enough can still buy content, but I see your point. Many simply don't connect, because they don't want to risk getting banned, and if they can still have access to that same content while not risking getting banned..you can guess which option gets chosen.