• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN PSN Pass?

OUTL4W

Let the outrage commence....
[yt]rVjacq9xTOc[/yt]

Welllll....guess the ps3 is now just a media player with all this bullshit....

What do you think?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Isn't this is the same thing as EA's pass? How does it affect those that buy games new?

Dan

Contributor
Trading in for an xbox later this week, I have no respect for Sony anymore.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
so, i think i figured out the thought process behind this one:

Sony Engineer A: "Hey, we're finally getting trust back over that psn fiasco, so how can we start making money again?"
Sony Engineer B: "EA seems to be racking in the money with it's Pass system."
Sony Engineer A: "Doesn't that screw over alot of our customers?"
Sony Engineer B: "Wouldn't be the first time".

january39

eXo Staff
Reasons to downgrade my ps3 are rising by the second, Greedy F***rs! Not like the games are cheap to start with. I mostly buy new but on occasion have bought used particularly if the games are older.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I assume they will negotiate some type of preferred client discount from the publishers that will be passed to the end user by way of a price increase or separate one-use pass at a much more reasonable price.

Seth

MD Party Room
Are the codes going to be tied to your psn?

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
i buy lots of used games, not just because they're cheaper, but i usually tend to wait a while after a game comes out before i pick it up (unless it's a game that i'm 100% sure i'm going to love), and by that time usually all the copies that are available are used copies. i also rent a lot of games to try them out before i buy, and i've also got a co-worker with whom i swap games pretty regularly. this is going to effect video games on so many levels, not just the used game market, but also the rental market.

i can't think of another form of media where this happens. movie companies don't make people pay a fee when they buy a used movie or rent a movie or borrow one from a friend. music companies don't make people pay a fee when someone buys a used cd or borrow one from a friend. hopefully someone puts their foot down. i'm not a huge fan of gamestop and their practices, but if my company was about to lose out on a huge portion of our profits i would definitely be looking for a way around this.

Seth

MD Party Room
i buy lots of used games, not just because they're cheaper, but i usually tend to wait a while after a game comes out before i pick it up (unless it's a game that i'm 100% sure i'm going to love), and by that time usually all the copies that are available are used copies. i also rent a lot of games to try them out before i buy, and i've also got a co-worker with whom i swap games pretty regularly. this is going to effect video games on so many levels, not just the used game market, but also the rental market.

i can't think of another form of media where this happens. movie companies don't make people pay a fee when they buy a used movie or rent a movie or borrow one from a friend. music companies don't make people pay a fee when someone buys a used cd or borrow one from a friend. hopefully someone puts their foot down. i'm not a huge fan of gamestop and their practices, but if my company was about to lose out on a huge portion of our profits i would definitely be looking for a way around this.
pretty sure that the other medias dont have to pay for sever cost to host a few mil player gamers a day.... I not sure how big a deal this most online experiences for games die down immensely 1 year after release, even with the big franchise games since they release an updated version annually. I mean Other than Gears,Halo,COD,Killzone,Resistance , Uncharted or a NBA/Madden game and most of these game are day one buys.. has anyone really played co op or mutiplayer more then 6 months after the game is out? I did find a nice balance for this Psn/Ea pass that can short of work i played WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2011 they had a free 7 day pass to play the game, perfect if your browning from a friend or renting. Most of the time when you buy a year old game is just to play the single player. Also a year after the game is out your pretty much going to get pennys from gamestop for the game.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Wonder how gamefly or blockbuster will handle this.....
I usually walk to my local blockbuster and open up the box that has the online pass and snag a few for me and friends since my blockbuster keeps it inside with the manuals for games.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
So let me get this straight Sony lets you share Downloaded stuff with 4 other systems but they get mad at you buying used games.

Truthfully I'm not even sure how bothered by this I am yet. On one hand I buy my share of used games, but on the other the only games I really buy used are single player games. I certainly don't agree with it but I'm not sure how directly this effects me.