• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN PSN Password Reset Page Compromised, Taken Down

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

A new exploit surfaced earlier today that allowed anyone to reset any PSN account's password, without going through the proper channels. The new exploit was revealed by our friend Nevada from Nyleveia, who first revealed the exploit. After confirming it's legitimacy Nevada notified Sony about the threat and their account reset page was subsequently taken down.

The hack involved knowing the date of birth and e-mail of a target account, both of which were compromised in the PSN attack last month[...]

Continue reading: PSN Password Reset Page Compromised, Taken Down...

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
good call japan. maybe the rest of the world should have held off the psn as well.... :argh:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This hackers are way out of line.

But I share Bran's feelings.

Robby

Los Doyers!
This is becoming entertainment now. Sony doesn't know what security means and hackers are making a major company look like a fool.

Ecko

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
*facepalm*
I see that Sony still has dumbasses running the show.
Where's the popcorn?

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
In all honesty how are they supposed to validate someone properly when all the information they know of you is potentially compromised? The best thing they can do is send an email out and hope that it reaches the correct person without having been intercepted. When you think about it how troublesome is this really?

EDIT - Wait.. was this a page you could go to (without having been submitted through a standard email redirect) and enter that info? If so then that is pretty bad.

El Diablo

From what I understand it was...

Go to Sony/Playstation website or whatever > go to sign in > get prompt to enter email and birthday > enter new password.

Not sure as I didn't get to try and change my password before it got taken down and didn't read the whole thing but that's what I think.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.
source
hack vs. exploit. totally not the same thing. now i feel much better xD
/sarcasm

Dan

Contributor
Still, I assume with the devs Sony have, it doesn't take a genius to find an exploit that big. They really need to get their shit together.

Hellcat

Contributor
This is becoming entertainment now. Sony doesn't know what security means and hackers are making a major company look like a fool.
lolyes.

$ony is getting it bigtime for their total incompetence.
Sadly they will not learn and start doing things properly.

Well, NGP hacked on day 1, anyone?

Dan

Contributor
I really doubt the NGP is going to sell as well as it initially was thought to. Shame, it would have had potential.

Biggy204

Wow its a good thing i have yet to update and change my. Password. I'll wait it out til the end of the month or so now.

TeamOverload

Wow its a good thing i have yet to update and change my. Password. I'll wait it out til the end of the month or so now.

Um..it was a web based exploit that's been fixed. Changing your password or not changing your password would have made no difference (except for the fact that by NOT changing your password, you're leaving yourself vulnerable for longer.) Just saying.

ShadowmanX5

Wow...just wow
Seriously what is happening at Sony?? I remember years ago when you heard the name that your mind linking it with quality. But now I think they have just relied on their name far too much and lost alot of that quality in the process :\
What happened to all this "extra security measures"??? The way they have been talking about it all you would of thought it'd be impenetrable. Well eventually the penny will drop and Sony will have to step up their game...otherwise they will eventually fade out from lack of loyalty and customers...