• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP [PSP] A few questions regarding PSP 3004

phoenixv5

I have a few questions related to PSPs.
For all of them I'm referring to a PSP 3004 5.03 OFW/Gen for HEN (both cause not permanently hackable!).

1) Is it possible to install a CFW like 5.50 Gen (any version) on this?
2) If yes, then why can't I do it in mine?
3) If no, ............................. well for some reason I already DID!
Don't know how, but in a PSP belonging to a friend I installed a 5.50 Gen (dunno if its D3 or C or whatever!), but I once worked it, thinking that a 3000 is a 'slim' (I now know, its a 'brite') PSP!
So how did I do that? I know it's a PSP 3000, cause it had the PSP icon and not 'home' (am I wrong perhaps? did any PSP 2000 have that?).
I cannot confirm because I neither have proof nor is the PSP available (he updated to 6.20, and possibly 6.31 too).
4) Is it possible to install plugins in 5.03 Gen-C for hen? If so, where do I get a tutorial specifically for 3000s?
5) Any site offering CTF themes for 5.03 Gen-C for HEN (if possible at all)?
6) Is it possible to downgrade it? No right?
7) And last. Sony released 6.30 one or two months ago. IMMEDIATELY they release the next OFW, 6.31! Any theories for this?

skyend

1) Is it possible to install a CFW like 5.50 Gen (any version) on this?
nope
3) If no, ............................. well for some reason I already DID!
Don't know how, but in a PSP belonging to a friend I installed a 5.50 Gen (dunno if its D3 or C or whatever!), but I once worked it, thinking that a 3000 is a 'slim' (I now know, its a 'brite') PSP!
So how did I do that? I know it's a PSP 3000, cause it had the PSP icon and not 'home' (am I wrong perhaps? did any PSP 2000 have that?).
I cannot confirm because I neither have proof nor is the PSP available (he updated to 6.20, and possibly 6.31 too).
It might have a 2k's mobo inside !?!?
4) Is it possible to install plugins in 5.03 Gen-C for hen? If so, where do I get a tutorial specifically for 3000s?
Yes, the process is same as for fully hackables.
6) Is it possible to downgrade it? No right?
no
7) And last. Sony released 6.30 one or two months ago. IMMEDIATELY they release the next OFW, 6.31! Any theories for this?
u gotta ask Sony xDD

phoenixv5

nope

It might have a 2k's mobo inside !?!?

Yes, the process is same as for fully hackables.

no

u gotta ask Sony xDD

1) No I'm pretty sure it was a 3000. He doesn't know anything about mobos or CFWs. So I'm pretty sure it was an un-altered PSP 3000. BTW it wasn't D3 version. C maybe?
I know it's theoretically impossible, I even tried in mine and almost bricked it (that COULD happen right?).
Still would've been cool, to RE-DO that. If only I know how!

EDIT: Sorry for the trouble, I was mistaken. Maybe it was 5.03 Gen C or something.

2) Glad to know I can have CTF themes. Does PSPLink work?

3) U gotta ask Sony! LMAO. Well I did say THEORIES!

Edit: Forgot to add this.

Thanks for the info.

skyend

2) Glad to know I can have CTF themes. Does PSPLink work?
Yeah, use Unofficial CXMB for 5.03 FWs .. psplink should work too
3) U gotta ask Sony! LMAO. Well I did say THEORIES!
well ...dont u know ? they patch exploits and update the libs.. thats pretty much everything xDD

phoenixv5

Okay I got CXMB running. And working okay (for now).
So another question.
Does a Custom Theme affect the PSP/Game perfomance.

phoenixv5

More questions related to PSPs.
1) As stated above, does a CTF theme affect PSP perfomance?
2) What does ram do in a gaming console (PSP DS etc.)? Same as for a PC? Does it affect the speed of the console?
3) I read that PSP 1000 has 32mb ram and 2000, 3000 and all have 64mb ram! If so, then why does the PSP 1000 and PSP 3000 I have work in identical speeds? (also applies to some info I got regarding DSi and DS Lite from this forum!)
4) What is the clock speed (XMB and Game) seen in the VSH menu? What does it do? Does setting it to 333 damage the PSP after prolonged use or something?
5) What exactly does the 5.03 Gen-C for Hen LCFW (as wololo aptly named it) do (behind the scenes)? Does it just load some plugins for iso/cso loading and enable plugin loading? Or is there a LOT more to it?
6) As I understand, a cso is a compressed iso image. So which, theoretically runs faster? iso or cso? (out of curiosity and answer to an debate)!
7) Does using the PSP while charging decrease the battery life? (answer to another debate)!!

well ...dont u know ? they patch exploits and update the libs.. thats pretty much everything xDD

That's not exactly what I meant. The 6.30 OFW was obviously for patching the Patapon 2 exploit!
But they wait about 1 whole year to make ONE upgrade, and within 2 weeks (or 1? or 3?) release the next one (6.31 OFW)!
Why so soon?
Perhaps there was an exploit they missed?

Also, I heard it takes a REALLY long time (10s of years, maybe more) to reverse engineer Sony's encryption algorithm.
Is it possible to use some kind of global network of computers (clustering?) to split the task into smaller units and do it?
(If its not obvious from this comment.......................... TOO MUCH COMPUTER MOVIES :p)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
More questions related to PSPs.
1) As stated above, does a CTF theme affect PSP perfomance?
I haven't seen CTF theme's affect the PSP's performance negatively.

2) What does ram do in a gaming console (PSP DS etc.)? Same as for a PC? Does it affect the speed of the console?
Exact same thing RAM does in any electronic equipment, it holds temporary data that the CPU works with. In the case of the PSP, it would hold textures, models, sounds, music, etc.

3) I read that PSP 1000 has 32mb ram and 2000, 3000 and all have 64mb ram! If so, then why does the PSP 1000 and PSP 3000 I have work in identical speeds? (also applies to some info I got regarding DSi and DS Lite from this forum!)
The speed of the CPU isn't affect by the amount of RAM. More RAM means that more textures/data can be held at any one time without having to read from the UMD.

4) What is the clock speed (XMB and Game) seen in the VSH menu? What does it do? Does setting it to 333 damage the PSP after prolonged use or something?
The clock speed is the CPU speed that the PSP is running at. The PSP's CPU was initially designed to run at 333MHz but at launch, Sony limited it to 222MHz to try and preserve battery life. Setting the clock speed to 333MHz won't greatly reduce the battery time from my experience, maybe by an hour or so.
5) What exactly does the 5.03 Gen-C for Hen LCFW (as wololo aptly named it) do (behind the scenes)? Does it just load some plugins for iso/cso loading and enable plugin loading? Or is there a LOT more to it?
Honestly, I don't know this, I don't tend to follow GEN releases but since it is a HEN, I'd assume that yes, it enables plugins and iso loading.
6) As I understand, a cso is a compressed iso image. So which, theoretically runs faster? iso or cso? (out of curiosity and answer to an debate)!
actually, the reverse is true. Running from cso's can result in games running slower but it varies from game to game and also depends on the compression level. The slowdown is negated somewhat by running the CPU at 333MHz.

7) Does using the PSP while charging decrease the battery life? (answer to another debate)!!
No, the PSP just runs off the mains power after the battery reaches 100%.

That's not exactly what I meant. The 6.30 OFW was obviously for patching the Patapon 2 exploit!
But they wait about 1 whole year to make ONE upgrade, and within 2 weeks (or 1? or 3?) release the next one (6.31 OFW)!
Why so soon?
Perhaps there was an exploit they missed?
It's very possible that internal testing showed another exploit that they patched. No one outside Sony can know for sure though.

Also, I heard it takes a REALLY long time (10s of years, maybe more) to reverse engineer Sony's encryption algorithm.
Is it possible to use some kind of global network of computers (clustering?) to split the task into smaller units and do it?
(If its not obvious from this comment.......................... TOO MUCH COMPUTER MOVIES :p)
Distributed computing would help with any attempt to crack encryption. I don't know too much about what Sony use for their encryption but I'm fairly sure it has already been cracked and was done so ages ago. I know that it is related to the KIRK engine in the CPU which helps decrypt files on the PSP though. There is a lot of information available on lan.st or different wiki's I think. It's been ages since I read up on it.

phoenixv5

The clock speed is the CPU speed that the PSP is running at. The PSP's CPU was initially designed to run at 333MHz but at launch, Sony limited it to 222MHz to try and preserve battery life. Setting the clock speed to 333MHz won't greatly reduce the battery time from my experience, maybe by an hour or so.

I was talking about the PSP unit, not the battery.
Since Sony designed it to run on 333MHz, I'll assume it causes no damage.

Distributed computing would help with any attempt to crack encryption. I don't know too much about what Sony use for their encryption but I'm fairly sure it has already been cracked and was done so ages ago. I know that it is related to the KIRK engine in the CPU which helps decrypt files on the PSP though. There is a lot of information available on lan.st or different wiki's I think. It's been ages since I read up on it.

From what I read in lan.st, if I remember right, they said it was impossible cause it takes a huge amount of time.

phoenixv5

Anyone seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ezv80KjKo&feature=player_embedded

Source: Wololo homepage!

For real??
If it is, can someone post a tutorial?

Also two questions.
1) I have a PSP 1000. Suppose I try the above and end up bricking it.
Can I revert back using Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick (created using Rain's MMS Maker)?
Do I need any other software, or will this do?
2) [Slightly Off-topic] WHAT THE HECK IS THE USE OF BREAD OR SANDWICHES IN HACKING PS3/PSP???? :confused1:

Deathrow

Anyone seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ezv80KjKo&feature=player_embedded

Source: Wololo homepage!

For real??
If it is, can someone post a tutorial?

Also two questions.
1) I have a PSP 1000. Suppose I try the above and end up bricking it.
Can I revert back using Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick (created using Rain's MMS Maker)?
Do I need any other software, or will this do?
2) [Slightly Off-topic] WHAT THE HECK IS THE USE OF BREAD OR SANDWICHES IN HACKING PS3/PSP???? :confused1:

Video is fake.

As for your questions...

1) You need to hardmode or softmode your battery. Softmoding requires another CFW to convert the battery (can be reverted back).
Hardmoding is opening the battery and cutting the 5th pin, once this is done, the only way to repair it solder is with enough metallic alloy to connect the broken pin.

2) Nothing.

phoenixv5

1) You need to hardmode or softmode your battery. Softmoding requires another CFW to convert the battery (can be reverted back).
Hardmoding is opening the battery and cutting the 5th pin, once this is done, the only way to repair it solder is with enough metallic alloy to connect the broken pin.

Didn't I mention I HAVE a pandora battery. I hard modded it ages ago.
I just wanted to know if a Rain's MMS and pandora battery would be enough to unbrick a bricked PSP 1000!

phoenixv5

More questions :smile:
1) The PSP 1000 I mentioned I have.
Well I gave it to a friend and he phoned me saying the buttons wont work.
According to him, the buttons won't work in XMB while in CFW, at least most buttons won't.
If Reverted to OFW 3.80 (Pandora) the buttons start working again.
He also said that buttons work in recovery menu and pandora menu (is there such a thing as pandora menu :biggrin:)
Edit: Found why. I think the select button is somehow pressed down or something!! Gotta get it fixed/replaced!

2) This is for PSP 1000 and PSP 2000 with mobo below TA088v5 (fully hackable PSPs in other words).
Is is possible to install 5.03 Gen-C for HEN on these PSPs?? Will it be work as a permanent CFW in these PSPs.
I know the obvious answer: "WHY do you need to do that, when you can install 5.00 M33 or 5.50 Gen-D3?".\:confused1: I know and I'm not going to :biggrin:. I'm just asking out of curiosity. And also because of 6.20 TN HEN.