• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP PSP fell off a 3 story building

Soul9656

God Listens to Slayer
Yeah not kidding. It was in my pocket while I was climbing over a huge beam, brought my leg up and it fell from my pocket. Landed on concrete.

It landed on the top right corner, right behind the right trigger. Everything works fine, (wifi, analog, all buttons, lights, speakers, everything) but my screen is having some issues.

Its not cracked, it works fine. However if you slightly twist the unit, putting pressure on the top left corner and the bottom right corner at the same time, the screen goes garbled, tearing and will not blend colors. And I dont mean cranking on the unit like opening a beer, I only mean the smallest bit of pressure.

I took the case apart and let the screen sit by itself (still connected) and it gave me the same results. Even with the screen outside the psp, once there is a bit of pressure on the unit, screen goes garbled.

Twisting the unit the opposite way seems to help, however it requires a tad more pressure and only seems to help for a while.

While I had the psp opened, I also noticed putting a finger near the top of the mobo and pressing down on it slightly also helps it. The big fat wire connecting the screen to the mobo seems to be in good shape, and everything looks to be in tight and plugged in correctly.

I have messed with it as much as I can and have given up. If anyone has any idea at all what could be causing it, please post a reply. I dont have pictures right now, but am willing to take some if needed.

Thanks

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
......wow

i would have thought it would be in 1000s of pieces

just out of interest what psp model is it?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
If anyone has any idea at all what could be causing it, please post a reply.

I'd have to say that the main cause of this is having dropped it from a 3-story building. :tup:

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I say buy a new PSP... you can get 2nd hand 1k units for about

Soul9656

God Listens to Slayer
Yeah im pretty sure the fall is what did it, thanks for helping me realize that. spitfireuk, its a slim and light 2001. Joey - Pressing up on the D-pad is enough to send the screen into a fritz.

edit

I just turned it on again this morning, now when you put pressure on it, the screen will slowely fade to complete black and then suddenly turn back on.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
It sounds like either the mobo or the screen is damaged. Most likely both lol.

I would normally suggest trying to get a new screen and seeing if that works. But i'm not sure that would fix the problem

Serideth

Reminds me of the time I was getting ready for college and some new game had come out so I put the PSP in my pocket of my shirt. Anyway I was going for a piss and somehow when I leaned over to flush the PSP fell in. Amazingly it still worked.

Moose

Meta Moose
Reminds me of the time I was getting ready for college and some new game had come out so I put the PSP in my pocket of my shirt. Anyway I was going for a piss and somehow when I leaned over to flush the PSP fell in. Amazingly it still worked.

That's quite the tale you have there. One to tell your children I think! :p

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
spitfireuk, its a slim and light 2001.

my ex gf had one of them, fell out of her pocket while skateboarding. the analogue stick side was all screwed up but i think it played fine afterwards

quite tough i guess

Freshmilk

is Over 9000

Riorio99

I dropped mine down TWO stairs, and neither the UMD drive nor the WiFi work at all. I guess the launch 1000's are weaker.

Soul9656

God Listens to Slayer
So I took it apart piece by piece and put it back together with the same results. I guess I will be buying the new one come october.

Maybe if I drop it 3 stories again... on the other side, it will knock everything back into place lol.

january39

eXo Staff
I would suspect that the very very small connector on the mobo that you plug the ribbon into has become loose or the solder is bust, that gives the same symptoms you talk about.

To fix it (if it is that) would be to remove the mobo and resolder a connector back on OR directly solder the ribbon to the Mobo. Either way is very fiddly.

Soul9656

God Listens to Slayer

Maybe ill look into getting that. I still dont think its the screen though, it seems to work fine once proper pressure is put on the unit. Even with the screen hanging out. I am at home now and can record a video if you guys would like to see it in action.

I think ill whip out the old bottle of crazy glue, and put the proper pressure on the mobo and then glue it to the case like that. haha.

@January39 - ill take a close look at it and see if I can notice any damage.