• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP PSP go UMD replacement program

Sliderkk

I am planning on picking up a PSP go (N1000) at launch and I was wondering, I heard about a UMD replacement program, the dude from Sony was pretty vague and I was wondering, how do you think would that work, Do you think its something like you mail them your UMDs or bring them to an authorized dealer and they will send you a voucher or do you think its more like you enter the serial number online and you will get it in your download history.

Also, if I had to send them my disks, do you think they would care about the damage and condition because my favorite games are scratched and some have cracks in the outer casing. They shouldn't, I mean its their fault for making such a bull-shit media.

LocutusEstBorg

Don't count on it. If they do make it feasible then its cool. Otherwise just download ISOs of your UMDs (Whenever its hacked.). I'm pretty sure they won't have any such program in many parts of the world.

Sliderkk

No, I can confirm that Sony is putting up a good will program for people who are upgrading.

Adiuvo

If they do put up such a program, I'd imagine they would need the proof of purchase vouches or the serial numbers. Having UMDs mailed in and sorting them would take too much time and effort.

LocutusEstBorg

If they do put up such a program, I'd imagine they would need the proof of purchase vouches or the serial numbers. Having UMDs mailed in and sorting them would take too much time and effort.

Why would they let you keep the UMD?!? They'd HAVE to have you mail in the UMD. In which case proof is irrelevant... If they get a disc, they give a coupon or whatever. How does the history of the disc matter?

Adiuvo

That would mean every UMD would have to be sorted through manually. I can't imagine any company doing that when they can instead just get the serial number of proof of purchase, and have a team at a desk sort through them. If they went the mail route they would need a place to store all the UMDs and then multiple people to sort through them.

xploren

Contributor
Why would they let you keep the UMD?!? They'd HAVE to have you mail in the UMD. In which case proof is irrelevant... If they get a disc, they give a coupon or whatever. How does the history of the disc matter?

I don't see a reason to collect the UMDs. Sony can allow the owners to play the game with both methods, physically and digitally.

LocutusEstBorg

I don't see a reason to collect the UMDs. Sony can allow the owners to play the game with both methods, physically and digitally.

But then you'd have two copies of the game!! Why would they let you do that! You could sell the other copy to someone. The program would be a 100% loss for Sony.

Adiuvo

Either way they're going to lose money on this, so they might as well go with the cheapest and easiest way.

LocutusEstBorg

Everyone who gets a digital copy WILL give the UMD away, because we all ISO even our original games. All my UMDs are safely packed away and I've got all of them as ISOs. I even destroyed one of the cases and turned it into a memory stick holder. You got to be kidding if you think anyone walks around with UMDs in their pocket.
umdkj3.jpg

xploren

Contributor
Everyone who gets a digital copy WILL give the UMD away, because we all ISO even our original games. All my UMDs are safely packed away and I've got all of them as ISOs. I even destroyed one of the cases and turned it into a memory stick holder. You got to be kidding if you think anyone walks around with UMDs in their pocket.
[qimg]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3309/umdkj3.jpg[/qimg]

Many people still use UMDs, actually. But as I said, I agree that people will give their UMDs away.

Bill

[qimg]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3309/umdkj3.jpg[/qimg]

It doesn't matter if you WILL give the UMD away, as you have purchased the right to use the software in all (legal) ways. You have the LAWFUL RIGHT to use the digital copy as long as you also own the UMD. This is why a company like Microsoft must supply you with a new key if yours no longer works from installing the OS too many times. They are required by law to do so because you bought the right to use that software, and that's something companies like Microsoft and Sony don't mess around with.

LocutusEstBorg

It doesn't matter if you WILL give the UMD away, as you have purchased the right to use the software in all (legal) ways. You have the LAWFUL RIGHT to use the digital copy as long as you also own the UMD. This is why a company like Microsoft must supply you with a new key if yours no longer works from installing the OS too many times. They are required by law to do so because you bought the right to use that software, and that's something companies like Microsoft and Sony don't mess around with.

All thats fine provided you can only use it at one location at a given time. This allows it to be used at two. They're effectively giving two for the price of one if they don't take back the UMD. YOU have the right to use the software through physical or digital means, but SOMEONE ELSE who you give the UMD to doesn't.

Its like when you buy an upgrade Windows, its illegal to use the older version you upgraded from anymore. Here the upgrade is free, but it would still be illegal for someone else to use the UMD. Some MS software allows you to install it in multiple locations provided that only one copy is being used at a given moment. Such a clause would make sense technically for the UMD, but its impossible to enforce just like you can't stop someone from installing Office on multiple PCs and using them all at the same time.