• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

R* has come to their senses.

LocutusEstBorg

After years of overpricing GTA titles at insanely high prices of 2500 Rupees and above, they've finally decided to sell GTA IV at a low low price of 499.

The cheapest decent game so far has never been below 999, which is also too much money for anyone here to blow on a video game. Since the market for original stuff here is almost non-existent, I guess they've finally decided to make whatever minimum profit they can, above the manufacturing cost of the disc/packaging.

I've got a gift certificate, so I'm gonna buy a copy. Although I'll still use a no-DVD/DRM stripped crack after buying the original, because I'm not gonna keep the disc inside all the time, or stand for any SecuROM crap on my PC.

I hope other publishers follow. If PS3 game prices dropped, I might just buy a PS3. Sony slashed the prices of the PSP down to 6990 from 9000 because not a single person is buying them now that they can't be hacked. They don't seem to realize that no one is ever going to buy a new PSP that can't be hacked, no matter how cheap it is, when the sell the games for 1000 Rupees and above.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
For those too lazy to google it, 2500 rupees is about $50.

Mister Chief

Once the copies have been sold to the distributor they can sell them at whatever price they want.

Take2 has already sold the copies to them at the price point they wanted so it doesn't matter to them.

Unless of course Take2 distribute their own games in India which I am just assuming they don't.

Chathurga

Wow, 2500 is insanely high? Games here can go for 4500 and mostly for around 4000.
You guys have it easy :p

LocutusEstBorg

Once the copies have been sold to the distributor they can sell them at whatever price they want.

Take2 has already sold the copies to them at the price point they wanted so it doesn't matter to them.

Unless of course Take2 distribute their own games in India which I am just assuming they don't.

Distributors normally take 10%, retailers another 10%. Which means out of the 50$ retail price, R* gets 30$. R* has to have supplied the distributors here at a much, much, cheaper rate.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
For those too lazy to google it, 2500 rupees is about $50.
soo..... if I had 4500 rupees in zelda I have 100$?
lol sorry couldn't help it.:p
"no one is ever going to buy a new PSP that can't be hacked"
True
"If PS3 game prices dropped"
Even if the ps3 price drop, I really buy an ps3 and the games for it.

Mister Chief

Take2 are their publisher and would be the ones handling that.

Anyway 2500 rupees is cheaper than games are here and even in Australia which ( no offence intended ) and more developed countries and should have cheaper consumer electronics than a country like India.

A new 3rd party game here is about 3100 rupees and in Aussie about 2650.

LocutusEstBorg

Not true.

Pirates and homebrew users aren't the majority of PSP owners. PSP consoles will continue to sell regardless.

I'm talking about in India. There are only pirates, and very few homebrew users. If you take a look at any Indian forums, you'll find people trying to sell off all their UMDs for whatever cash they can get cos someone gifted them a PSP with some UMDs.

Pirate shops have hoarded hackable PSPs and are selling them at inflated prices of 10k and more. There was a recent spike in PSP sales some months back and the Sony manager here said that Playstation was slow becoming popular here etc. LOL. Little did he know it was just people and pirate shops hoarding old PSPs.

Take2 are their publisher and would be the ones handling that.

Anyway 2500 rupees is cheaper than games are here and even in Australia which ( no offence intended ) and more developed countries and should have cheaper consumer electronics than a country like India.

A new 3rd party game here is about 3100 rupees and in Aussie about 2650.

Yes Australia is very expensive too. Even most hardware components like CPU/Mobo are costlier than India. Only GPUs are marginally cheaper.

But at least there people earn a lot more, so a product is a much smaller percentage of your salary. The average person here earns 15k a month. Considering that, games are priced way over anyone's purchasing capacity.

Owning the hardware to play the games is another thing. Of all the gaming platforms, the 360 is by far the most successful. You get the graphics of a modern PC, and after buying accessories and stuff you wouldn't have spent more than 20k. Plus pirated games are available for 80-100 Rupees.

MS doesn't seem to want to reduce the 360 game prices at all. They've been the same since launch. Sony has reduced PS3 prices by almost half, but it doesn't matter cos no one will buy a PS3 without pirated games.

Slasher

Suck It
You're talking like 2500 Rupees ($50 USD) is a ridiculous rip off. Quite simply, it isn't.

I pay about $59.99 + tax CAD, which totals to $67.79; which is the equivalent of 2646 Rupees.

And you're the one talking about having to pay insanely high prices???? Quit moaning
Torch said:
I'm talking about in India. There are only pirates, and very few homebrew users. If you take a look at any Indian forums, you'll find people trying to sell off all their UMDs for whatever cash they can get cos someone gifted them a PSP with some UMDs.
This made me lol, it's so stereotypical it's funny

LocutusEstBorg

You're talking like 2500 Rupees ($50 USD) is a ridiculous rip off. Quite simply, it isn't.

I pay about $59.99 + tax CAD, which totals to $67.79; which is the equivalent of 2646 Rupees.

And you're the one talking about having to pay insanely high prices???? Quit moaning

You earn like what, 2000$ a month at the least? What if you only earned 200$ a month? Thats what our salaries are here. Would you spend 50$ out of your 200$ on video games?

If they want us to buy games, they need to price them according to peoples income in the country they are selling it in. R*/Take 2 has made a step in the right direction.

Slasher

Suck It
You earn like what, 2000$ a month at the least? What if you only earned 200$ a month? Thats what our salaries are here.

If they want us to buy games, they need to price them according to peoples income. R*/Take 2 has made a step in the right direction.

I'm earning $0 a month right now, but that's another story for another time.

I guess that makes sense that games seem overpriced; India just isn't 'developed' enough to be indulging in gaming at this point in time I think. I don't think things should be lowered to compensate for having a lower income tbh.

Is gaming a common thing over there? I'm led to believe that it's only meant for the extremely privileged. So if you're privileged enough to actually have a gaming console(which must cost the typical person like a quarter of a year of income), then you should easily have the dough to be able to buy games. Sorry if I'm way off

LocutusEstBorg

I'm earning $0 a month right now, but that's another story for another time.

I guess that makes sense that games seem overpriced; India just isn't 'developed' enough to be indulging in gaming at this point in time. I don't think things should be lowered to compensate for having a lower income tbh

Is gaming a common thing over there? I'm led to believe that it's only meant for the extremely privileged

Well, only the extremely privileged have decent computers at home to play on. Most people go to gaming cafes.

As far as price reduction is concerned, you can't reduce the price of hardware, because the actual product your receiving costs that much no matter where you buy it.

But for games, its only the disc/packaging cost. As it stands they have close to 0 sales here. Assume manufacturing costs are 100 Rupees per package. If they sell 10 games at 2500 Rupees, making a profit of 2400 on each, thats 24,000 Rupees. Priced at 499, with a 399 profit, they might sell 100 copies, raking in 39,900 Rupees.

The developers wouldn't even have considered this market when evaluating their pricing. So any profit they make from here is purely bonus. They might as well maximize it like I've explained above.

There are a LOT of people who can afford to spend 499 for a very good game. I'm relatively well off, but I'd never in my life buy a game for 2500, its just way too much. I can't believe I spent 1499 on GTA for the PSP, when GTA IV is now 499.

Slasher

Suck It
Maybe I should start importing my games from India seeing how bloody cheap they are

I could buy a game there for the equivalent of $12.80 CAD (plus minimal shipping costs) versus me paying $67.79 as it is now.

LocutusEstBorg

Maybe I should start importing my games from India seeing how bloody cheap they are

I could buy a game there for the equivalent of $12.80 CAD (plus minimal shipping costs) versus me paying $67.79 as it is now.

Most games are 1499 at launch and comes down to 999 in a few months.
Valve games are relatively cheap, 600 for Orange Box.