• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Rebug CFW

TeamOverload

So I'm sure at least some of you here have been following the PS3 scene and now all of custom firmware and the likes. Just curious to see what your thoughts are on Rebug CFW? For those who don't know it allows you to still play several games online on development servers (and as of recently on the actual retail servers). Also of note, PSN content can be downloaded for free through some workarounds that users have found. Unethical yes? However, one could argue that by blocking PSN Store access for those on CFW, that this is the only way to get content. I can understand blocking online gameplay, but why prevent those who don't wish to pirate from BUYING content?

Info about this CFW here: http://rebug.me/

In accordance with forum rules, no links will be posted to tutorials or methods of downloading pirated content.

Hellcat

Contributor
IMO, the lamers are NOT supposed to sneak around and exploit the dev PSN.... GFO!
Stay and ruin your retail PSN, but leave the dev network alone....

That Rebug CFW is the worst thing that happened to the PS3 as of yet....

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I was hoping to use this firmware so I could link my Steam ID come Tuesday, but since Portal 2 is 3.60 only atm, I don't think I'll even bother with the PS3 version, and just get the PC version instead.

TeamOverload

IMO, the lamers are NOT supposed to sneak around and exploit the dev PSN.... GFO!
Stay and ruin your retail PSN, but leave the dev network alone....

That Rebug CFW is the worst thing that happened to the PS3 as of yet....

Well I for one only installed it once the DNS was set up that lets us play on the Retail servers. I feel the same way you do to be honest.

This is how it's done, nice and easy so hopefully most of those on dev servers will start switching over: http://ps3.dashhacks.com/2011/04/15/psn-server-mapping-made-easy-real-easy

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Only thing is I would be wary about going online with Rebug. Pretty sure Sony keeps a whitelist of valid dev units, so it might instantly flag your account.

However, apparently you can login even with a blank console ID, so that's a major fail on their part. I'd expect it will be fixed soon though.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I'm still sitting on 3.55 kmeaw... May well go back to official firmware, think I value online play more than downloading games.