• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Replacing External HDD

EDIT 4---
Wait, nvm, figured it out, again

EDIT 3---
Okay, the HDD shows up in device manager, but its not formatted to FAT32 since I just took it from my PS3, so it doesn't show up in my computer, how ever it does show up in device manager. I can't tell which drive it's in, because it's not showing up in My Computer. So I can't format through DOS. Any ideas for formatting?

EDIT 2----
Nevermind, figure it out, the Harddrive just needs to be formatted.

EDIT------
I got the hard drive spinning, but its still not showing up. Also, the drivers for the SATA to USB component are now installed. Help?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I had a WD passport external HDD, unfortunately for me the 320GB HDD stored in the housing started clicking, and it was obviously bad. So I opened up the external HDD, removed the 320GB bad HDD from the housing and replaced it with my PS3s 60GB HDD and now when I plugged it into my computer it doesn't even start spinning. Now I kind of half expected this not to work, but is there anything I can do to get it to work?

Btw, just wondering, but is the reason its not work because the SATA to mini USB component built to work only with Western Digital HDDs and not Seagate HDDs?

Also, the USB light turns on, so I'm assuming that means that power is at least being sent to the HDD.

Adiuvo

What ended up fixing it?

Seth

MD Party Room
So you where trying to get your ps3 harddrive to work with your pc? When I took my old 40gb and formated it I dident have any problems. Also when you in device manager you can see what drive it is by looking at the space available from there you can format into NTFS or just mount the drive and formating it with a 3ed party tool like SwissKnife.

But im glad you solved this all on your own:)

What ended up fixing it?

I tried 3 different USB Cables, and the 3rd got the harddrive spinning, and then I just had to open Disk Manager and format it there since it wasn't showing up in any drive letter.

Seth said:
So you where trying to get your ps3 harddrive to work with your pc? When I took my old 40gb and formated it I dident have any problems. Also when you in device manager you can see what drive it is by looking at the space available from there you can format into NTFS or just mount the drive and formating it with a 3ed party tool like SwissKnife.

But im glad you solved this all on your own
I was trying to replace a broken external HDD, and use it's housing for my 60GB HDD so I could have an external for my wii. Also, even in device manager, I checked properties, and everything, and there was nothing indicating any type of drive. And since it wasn't NTSC formatted yet, I'm assuming that's why it was showing up as 0KB of space. But like I said above, all I had to do was open op DISK manager, and it was there.