• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Report: Crysis 2 To Ship Without DX11 Support, Coming In Post-Launch Patch

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
crytek1.jpg

We've received word from Swedish hardware site Sweclockers that Crysis 2 will ship without DX11 support, much like its recently released demo counterpart. The tidbit was unearthed at a recent Nvidia presentation. Apparently, Crytek plans to patch in the renderer as part of a post-launch update.

While specific DX11 features due for inclusion went unmentioned, at the bare minimum, it's expected that we'll see

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ru-oh.. A little bit of a disappointment there. So long as it eventually comes I'll be happy....in 1 year when I get a DX 11 card

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I sort of expected something like this to happen. Crytek has been awfully quiet about the PC verison.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I sort of expected something like this to happen. Crytek has been awfully quiet about the PC version.

Yeah. Just leads me to question now if they'll have proper 3D support implemented at launch. The 360 version had a pseudo-3D effect, unsure what the PC version has right now (if it has it enabled in the demo).

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Yeah. Just leads me to question now if they'll have proper 3D support implemented at launch. The 360 version had a pseudo-3D effect, unsure what the PC version has right now (if it has it enabled in the demo).

I read a forum post over in the SPUF that 3D is indeed enabled if you have the right hardware and that there's no performance penalty.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

Pretty sure it's disabled in the demo, but side-by-side at least works OK in the leaked version.

forgetit

Not even dx10?. O.K. then i will wait for this "patch" come out (if it ever does) before i buy. (I am not spending atleast $500 to upgrade my p.c. just for high res 360 or ps3 grapics!!!.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Fuck, that's a huge disappointment.

I can't even create a damn account to play the demo! It just sits at the "Creating account" page forever!

Don't think i'll be buying this any time soon until the patch is released.

DX11 or bust!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm also hoping the options panel isn't as spartan as the demo one; Gamer, Advanced & Hardcore being the only graphical setting you can change.

Judging from benchmarks posted by Nvidia, these presets are present in the full game as well. Some folks over at NeoGAF also found the configuration settings are wrapped in one big file that's seemingly encrypted, no way to edit it. Hopefully this only applies to the demo... otherwise the modding scene will be a total bust.

http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Guides/crysis-2-benchmarks

I like the game but I'm very disappointed at how Crytek is handling this release. PC gamers deserve better. I mean, it's fine if they want to dumb down the configuration options for accessibility reasons (although I honestly think the presets are more confusing), but at least include an advanced settings menu like Valve does on L4D.

With things like the CCCC you'd expect Crytek to give the tweakers more leeway.

I don't understand why it couldn't be done like in one, the presets are available, and the advanced options pop out when you chose Custom.

On the flipside however, i've heard from another forum that the PC assets are completely tailored to the PC, the console versions get their own special treatment in regards to assets.

Check out this vid here too, it shows off some of the gameplay for those who haven't been able to get logged in and covers some very good points.

[video=youtube;UYSMXWPpgsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSMXWPpgsY&feature=feedlik[/video]

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Don't think i'll be buying this any time soon until the patch is released.

DX11 or bust!
i'm not ganna lie, that seems a pretty shitty reason not to pick up the game, from the video's i've seen it's still a graphical masterpiece imo

Trigun

Why play a game on PC, if you can't MAX out the graphics out in singleplayer?
you might as well be playing on a console then. And I didn't just spend over 1000+$ to build a PC capable of DX11 to be stuck with a watered down renderer that should be there in the first place as it was supposed to be with a game when it's released.

Plus it's not like i'll have the time when it comes out to play it right then anyway, so it works out.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Why play a game on PC, if you can't MAX out the graphics out in singleplayer?
you might as well be playing on a console then. And I didn't just spend over 1000+$ to build a PC capable of DX11 to be stuck with a watered down renderer that should be there in the first place as it was supposed to be with a game when it's released.

Plus it's not like i'll have the time when it comes out to play it right then anyway, so it works out.

Idunno, I would rather judge a game on things like how it plays than just how it looks

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Trigun

Pretty much the whole point of playing on PC is for not only Keyboard/Mouse(if that's your thing) But to have much higher image quality/Performance than playing on a console.

Limiting to DX9 only until they aren't lazy enough to release it in a patch(more likely I assume because EA imposes a release schedule and they have no negotiating room)
is about as smart as releasing the Dragon Age II demo requiring an online connection and not letting you use all DX11 features (And if you have a DX10 card you are stuck with medium settings)