• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Review] The PSP 3000

FreePlay

psp3000.jpg

You've read about it on the internet. You've begged your parents to buy you one. You've probably even had inappropriate dreams about it.

Yes, it's the PSP 3000, the latest version of that delectable Sony handheld. Featuring a brighter anti-glare screen, crisper audio, a wider color range, and a built-in microphone, the PSP 3000 is a step above its older brother, the original Slim & Lite PSP 2000.

Today I purchased the PSP-3001 XMS package - the Mystic Silver bundle, including one silver PSP 3000, a 1GB Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2, a 3.6V/1200mAh battery, a copy of the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters game, a copy of the National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets movie, and a voucher for a free download of Echochrome from the Playstation Store.

pspratchetentpack.jpg

The PSP itself comes loaded with firmware 4.20, which looks like it's going to be exclusively for this system like 3.60 was for the old Slim & Lite. Of note in this version are a few things not previously seen on either PSP:
  • "Color Space" (wide/normal; defaults to 'wide') and "USB Auto Connect" (on/off; defaults to 'on') options in the System Settings menu
  • "Flicker Reduction" (on/off; defaults to 'on') setting in the Connected Display Settings menu - enables flicker reduction in PSP games while connected to an interlaced display
  • When you test a network connection, "UPnP" (disabled/enabled) and "NAT Type" appear in the results (like with the PS3)

The color space setting makes an obvious change in the vividness of the screen's color, as well as greatly changing the contrast. The USB autoconnect option is a little spooky, since it takes you out of whichever XMB menu you're currently in, highlights the USB connection option, and connects.

Apart from the software, the PSP 3000's most noticeable changes are all physical. The Sony logo has moved, the "Home" button is now a Playstation button (like the PS button on a PS3 controller), the big fat metal ring on the UMD bay door is now much slimmer, the slippery gloss finish of the Slim & Lite has been replaced with a matte finish with a much better grip, and (as we all know) a microphone has been added.

Now, for the bad news. No, scratch that... TERRIBLE news.

The Pandora battery does not work. I've made Pandora batteries out of the original PSP 1000's battery and the Slim & Lite's battery. Neither of them turns on the PSP 3000. So it looks like Sony's got something else for servicing the new kid on the block...

In spite of this blow to the hacking scene, the PSP 3000 is still a nice little system. It has all the advantages of the old Slim & Lite, plus a much more solid-feeling construction, a better screen, and noticeably clearer speakers. If you're a prospective PSP buyer and you're not too concerned about homebrew, I'd say you should definitely get one. Not only are you getting the most advanced PSP hardware, but you save the extra cost of a headset and remote control plug that you'd need if you wanted a microphone on the old Slim & Lite.

Besides... who knows what the future holds? If the Slim & Lite is any indication, we may see features that are exclusively for the PSP 3000.

Until you get your anxious little hands on your own PSP 3000, here are a few photos to help tide you over:

net_test.jpg
psbutton_mic.jpg
umdring.jpg

And how about a couple videos?

Seth

MD Party Room
How loud are the new speakers....

The psp slim speakers werent that great and where not loud at all... Is the sound chip improved at all?

I really love a PMP with good speakers...I have a ipod touch and a zune and while they go loud on my monitor speakers at work. I need something that can play music from built in speakers...While the short time I had my GOW psp I treid it out at work and it wsa so low that is was like it was on mute...The Suberbad umd was just unbearable...

If there really that good I might just pick up the new 4gb pack.

Muratcan

The PSP Brite (Joystiq's brilliant name for the 3000!) sounds fantastic. A big shame about the Pandora not working, but it was expected Sony would patch that up.

I remember reading rumours of new PSP exploits on the QJ forums. Supposedly homebrew developers had exploits in hand and were waiting to use when needed. If it is true then I believe we won't have to wait long for homebrew on the Brite!

Muratcan said:
The PSP Brite (Joystiq's brilliant name for the 3000!) sounds fantastic. A big shame about the Pandora not working, but it was expected Sony would patch that up.

I remember reading rumours of new PSP exploits on the QJ forums. Supposedly homebrew developers had exploits in hand and were waiting to use when needed. If it is true then I believe we won't have to wait long for homebrew on the Brite!
whats so "Brite" about it? the screen has been made sharper and better, but not brighter.....

JEMdev

its not bright

its brite

get it straight

and joystiq isn't a great source

Slasher

Suck It
Is the supposed "interlacing issue" quite visible?

I'm a bit hesitant wanting to pick this up based on that sole fact. Despite the screen being improved, I can't see interlacing lines as something desirable...

Slasher said:
Is the supposed "interlacing issue" quite visible?

I'm a bit hesitant wanting to pick this up based on that sole fact. Despite the screen being improved, I can't see interlacing lines as something desirable...
I have not seen any interlacing issues with any of my games that I have tried, only scanlines which are barely visible.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Pixel Princess said:
Keep that up and you'll be over 9000 ;)

That'll be the day where we'll get a DBZ special edition PSP with Vegeta on the back of it.

niko86

I bought a slim after using a friends, my phat just felt ... fat and old :p

So i'm gonna keep away from anyone with one of these for the time being.

Mister Chief said:
Even on top brightness?
top brightness isnt even that bright, and no, idk tho, the only games Ive played are Socom Burnout Lego Star wars and GTA. Maybe alot of other games have problems, mine have none