• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

RRODing my Xbox 360?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Well that sucks. Maybe he didn't let it get hot enough.

Towel tricking a 360 is always temporary, and never causes a different problem to occur. Both 1 red light and 3 red lights are very similar problems, and towel tricking the 360 just gets the solder balls hot again so they temporary renew the connection between the motherboard and the heatsink, but eventually they will just disconnect again, leaving it with the same problem.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Wait, I'm talking about how to red ring the xbox, not fix it. I know that it fixs it temporary, but it will give it the Red Rings which is what this guy wants.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
No it won't. It'll just keep it on 1 red ring but screw up the solder even more.

eldiablov

Contributor
No it won't. It'll just keep it on 1 red ring but screw up the solder even more.

Not necessarily. I managed to get a 1 red ring to a 3 by using a towel.

By the way, the E74 error means there is a problem with your scaler chip (HANA/ANA chip) and that there are one or more solder joints loose on it. It is possible to fix but it's very unlikely it will stay fixed for more than a few months. If it's a 360 with a HDMI port you may aswell forget about fixing it altogether and go for the three red rings.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Not necessarily. I managed to get a 1 red ring to a 3 by using a towel.

By the way, the E74 error means there is a problem with your scaler chip (HANA/ANA chip) and that there are one or more solder joints loose on it. It is possible to fix but it's very unlikely it will stay fixed for more than a few months. If it's a 360 with a HDMI port you may aswell forget about fixing it altogether and go for the three red rings.

I have fixed 2 360s with an HDMI port. One had 3 red lights, one had 1 red light.

Just tell them that your xbox RROD (even if its 1 ring)....Its worth a shot man. hopefully Somebody in the repair shop will lie for ya.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Just tell them that your xbox RROD (even if its 1 ring)....Its worth a shot man. hopefully Somebody in the repair shop will lie for ya.

Many people have sent in their 360s with 1 red light claiming it was 3 and they just fix it anyway...

eldiablov

Contributor
I have fixed 2 360s with an HDMI port. One had 3 red lights, one had 1 red light.

I never said it can't be fixed. I said more often than not its better to just send it off to save the trouble. I tried fixing a 360 with E74, did the x clamp fix properly etc and heatgunned the solder for a couple of minutes and it still didnt work. Maybe you got lucky.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Nah, I'm pro. You can't get lucky 3 times :/

Cryox

Bro.

EXACTLY what i was planning on doing. I guess that is what i will try. It's worth a shot :)