• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sad because your Jailbreak won't let you go online?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The DNS workaround doesn't work anymore... PSN is asking me to update.

Slasher

Suck It
Is there any chance the jailbreak could ever come to, let's say, normal usb sticks? Or maybe PSP's?

Is it possible?

I really don't want to invest in any of these gadgets that currently work with the jailbreak.

I'm really wanting access to PSN so I can play some demon's souls online, but I don't want to update if there's a chance that the jailbreak could come out for something more readily available to me.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Is there any chance the jailbreak could ever come to, let's say, normal usb sticks? Or maybe PSP's?

Is it possible?

I really don't want to invest in any of these gadgets that currently work with the jailbreak.

I'm really wanting access to PSN so I can play some demon's souls online, but I don't want to update if there's a chance that the jailbreak could come out for something more readily available to me.

It's not possible with regular USB sticks used for data since the jailbreak pretends to be a USB hub IIRC. There is a PSP port being worked on as far as I know. No idea how close to being finished it is.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
f* it... Imma update. I lose much more than I win at this point...

BlackSheep

I cant sign in anymore so i tried updating but it says its on the latest firmware :O
Im just going to wait to monday to see if there is a bypass if not im going to update.
(selling old ylod ps3 for new ps3 :p)

Darkchild

The Doctor
I'm working on another proxy bypass, so far I made the PS3 NOT update, though, PSN isn't working yet. Working on it!
(More info on my blog if you are interested)

InfinitiProject

"Whoa is that a girl on this team!?"
I'm working on another proxy bypass, so far I made the PS3 NOT update, though, PSN isn't working yet. Working on it!
Damn... wish I saw your post earlier :argh:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The hack was only released a week ago, and many are still waiting on the hardware to run it. I personally would have waited it out regardless. I can live without PSN for a month or two. I have a feeling a solution will emerge in due time.

Not sure if it's technically feasible under this hack but what I'd like to see is a dual FW system. To my knowledge it may be possible on phat units as they have extra NAND space.

Sounds promising :) Looking forward to updates.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The hack was only released a week ago, and many are still waiting on the hardware to run it. I personally would have waited it out regardless. I can live without PSN for a month or two. I have a feeling a solution will emerge in due time.

After the GeoHot fiasco I was not taking any chances. PSN is actually very important for my gaming experience, whether it is PS Store, Trophies or just online playing.

january39

eXo Staff
The next few new games will undoubtedly require a forced FW update to run in the end, hopefull there will be a workaround for that. I already have 3.42 now, i wanted PSN as well.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I still haven't updated, waiting for more info on this...
At the moment the only way you can really get the jailbreak is buying a special USB controller isn't it?

ilyace

I still haven't updated, waiting for more info on this...
At the moment the only way you can really get the jailbreak is buying a special USB controller isn't it?

There's other ways that involve a TI-84 calculator, as well as a few Android phones.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
There's other ways that involve a TI-84 calculator, as well as a few Android phones.

Oh lol. Well I have a Casio fx-9750GII... Doesn't sound like a TI-84 :p

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
PSN is actually very important for my gaming experience, whether it is PS Store, Trophies or just online playing.
agreed. looks like this is going to turn into one of those "two console" situations. i know theres lots of people that do it, but i dont have the resources.

/me gets on craigslist and looks for cheap ps3s :\

Darkchild

The Doctor
well X3, as soon as your ps3 connects to either PSN or Update, it goes to a Sony server and asks for the latest firmware version.
what it gets is something like this :

Code:
# US
Dest=84;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.4200-;
Dest=84;IncrementalUpdateVersion=0000afef-0000afef;ImageVersion=0000b307;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4200;CDN=http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_0907_6ba866514589155ab094099a9f358ffd/PS3PATCH.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;
Dest=84;ImageVersion=0000b307;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4200;CDN=http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_0907_6ba866514589155ab094099a9f358ffd/PS3UPDAT.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;

as you can see, the first line is a comment, saying which country its from (I'll probably have to collect samples, just to make sure)
second line is the latest firmware version
lines 3 and 4 just tell you where to get said firmware version (last line is probably a mirror but the link looks the same)

After that, just return a fake response with an HTML header like so:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 2:25:47 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 1354

# US
Dest=84;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100-;
Dest=84;IncrementalUpdateVersion=0000afef-0000afef;ImageVersion=0000b307;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100;CDN=http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_0907_6ba866514589155ab094099a9f358ffd/PS3PATCH.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;
Dest=84;ImageVersion=0000b307;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100;CDN=http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_0907_6ba866514589155ab094099a9f358ffd/PS3UPDAT.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;

telling the ps3 the latest firmware version is 3.41 (I'm actually curious on what it will do if i tell it the latest version is 1.00)

that's what I've got so far :)

InfinitiProject

"Whoa is that a girl on this team!?"
PSN is actually very important for my gaming experience, whether it is PS Store, Trophies or just online playing.
This, especially the PS Store. There hasn't been a day so far where I haven't visited it for impulse buying whether it be a game, add-on, theme, or a single song for Rock Band.

It's a frightening addiction.

Hellcat

Contributor
AFAIK that is exactely what the DNS and Proxy tricks do, they fake the reply of the ps3update.txt with the latest FW.

But after that PSN does some more checks, likely some crypto stuff, and errors out if things dont add up.