• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Screen Capture/Record Gameplay

Nick

okay, so i want to record myself owning people at Modern Warfare 2 on my PS3. But the problem is that i don't know how. I did a little google search and many/all the sites say i need a dvd recorder and an a/v video output cable splitter. together it costs around $40-$60. As most of you know, i'm cheap, Really cheap and don't want to spend that much money. so if any of you know of an alternative, thad be great! so please help :)

El Diablo

Only alternatives I know of are more expensive, there's no cheap way to do it unless you happen to already have the stuff.

Seth

MD Party Room
Point the camcorder at the TV :)

Seth

MD Party Room

Access_Denied

Why do you need HD recording for yourself?

A friend and I are starting a website, so we needed a way to capture HD gameplay. We actually probably only need SD video, but if I record in SD, we have to play in SD, and I can't handle that after being on HD for a year. :/ Besides, HD video makes everything much more clear. It's so hard to watch some of these SD gameplay videos on Youtube.

Hellcat

Contributor
I just spent about $135 on HD recording equipment, but I doubt you want to spend that much.
Can you recommend anything to me? As I'm interested in that as well.

I'd need/want HDMI recording and VGA, but esp. HDMI :)
Component would be OK too, that I could even use to grab some PSP vids.

Access_Denied

Can you recommend anything to me? As I'm interested in that as well.

I'd need/want HDMI recording and VGA, but esp. HDMI :)
Component would be OK too, that I could even use to grab some PSP vids.

Well, there's a couple of ways to do it. The cheapest way is the way I did it. Since the PS3 uses HDCP, I would either need an HDCP stripper ($200) or I would need to use component, which would still look great on my 720p TV. So I bought this card, along with a PS3 component cable and all the necessary splitters. Now, I have one component line going into the TV and one going into the capture card. By doing this, I eliminate any lag there could be, and also, my PC doesn't have to be that great, as I'm not worried about the lag. The card supports HDMI and composite/S-Video as well, just in case.

The other way to do it is to buy the Intensity Pro card (Google it). It's $200, but it has an HDMI input as well as an HDMI output, and an analog input and analog output. Much higher quality as well. The downside is that you need a more powerful PC. And again, for the PS3, you would either need an HDCP stripper or component cables. But the 360 doesn't use HDCP, so HDMI on that would be just fine.

But yeah, my whole setup cost about $135 after the card and cables. It's going to cost a little more though, because the third party component cables I got for the PS3 are kind of iffy, so I need to invest in a first party set.

But with the $90 card, I get pretty good video quality, and I only have a dual-core AMD with 2 GB of RAM.

Hellcat

Contributor
Well, there's a couple of ways to do it. The cheapest way is the way I did it. Since the PS3 uses HDCP, I would either need an HDCP stripper ($200) or I would need to use component, which would still look great on my 720p TV. So I bought this card, [...]. The card supports HDMI and composite/S-Video as well, just in case.
Hey :)

So, your card does all three, HDMI, Component and Composite?
Perfect, just what I need!
I don't really worry about HDCP, since I have a nice option "HDCP on/off" :p So if that card can do HDMI I feed it directely into it and use the component in for PSP recordings.

Awesome, thanks!
I will look more close on the card/link you posted :)

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Blackmagic Intensity Pro does HDMI, that's the one I use for my 360.
Quality:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fnykdcLBM[/YT]

El Diablo

God damn that's expensive...